2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
Just heard on the Score, they quoted Sun-Times and Tribune tweets.........Zambrano being moved to bullpen.

Awesome. He ought to go insane down there.

The interesting thing is that it could actually turn out better for the team if he can keep his head in it. He can go full out now, and not have to worry about throwing 125 pitches. That pen is so awful, he can't do any worse. Plus Lillly can step in and do better as a starter.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
Well their manager won't be back in 2011, and I think there's a distinct chance their GM won't be either. We'll probably be stuck with both of ours though still. Does that mean, *shudders*, that the Cubs are actually a step ahead of us?

The fact that you actually might think this is true...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
Awesome. He ought to go insane down there.

The interesting thing is that it could actually turn out better for the team if he can keep his head in it. He can go full out now, and not have to worry about throwing 125 pitches. That pen is so awful, he can't do any worse. Plus Lillly can step in and do better as a starter.

Is he now the highest paid relief pitcher in baseball?

Edit: $18.875 for Zambrano, $15 million for Rivera. I have no other guesses of who to check.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Is he now the highest paid relief pitcher in baseball?

Edit: $18.875 for Zambrano, $15 million for Rivera. I have no other guesses of who to check.

By average annual value:

1 Mariano Rivera, $15,000,000

2 Brad Lidge, $12,500,000

3 Francisco Rodriguez, $12,333,333

4 Joe Nathan, $11,750,000

5 Francisco Cordero, $11,500,000

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
Honestly, this is one of the dumbest f***ing moves I have ever seen in my life. My god, I can't believe a major league team would actually do something like this.

How do you compare this to what the Phillies did, moving Brett Myers to their closer's spot a couple years ago before dealing for Lidge?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
How do you compare this to what the Phillies did, moving Brett Myers to their closer's spot a couple years ago before dealing for Lidge?

That was dumb as hell too. They took a 3.5 win starter and turned him into a 1.3 win reliever and he was never the same after that season. Lucky for them they had a 900 run offense and managed to out slugged their opposition to a slim division championship despite their awful starting pitching. Then they got their asses swept in the first round including a game in which their game 2 starter - Kyle kendrick - lasted less than 4 innings in a 10-5 loss.

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
they also made the offense worse every 5th day.

Zambrano had one stellar season with the bat. Otherwise, he's still a career .233 hitter/.630 OPS. Although replacing him with the .295 OPS Ted Lilly may still count for something.