2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

I don't remember Alou not coming through the previous inning. I remember watching that whole inning unfold and loving it at the time. It happened so fast. Wish there was a video of it all somewhere.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an absolute tragedy what Cub's fan did to Steve Bartman. This guy, a life-long Cubs fan, did the exact same thing that every one of us would have done in his sitiuation, and because of a cruel (yet hilarious) twist of fate gets his life turned to s*** by a reaction that was done out of reflex, not conviction. You see a ball coming your way, you try to catch it. Simple as that.

Bartman worked, and may still work, at the same place as a buddy of mine who I play basketball with. I remember him telling me about all the phone calls that came in the days following asking for and trying to harass Bartman.

Funny thing is, if he got contacts, shaved his head, and wore more up to date clothes minus the headphones, he could walk into Wrigley and nobody would know it was him.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ May 4, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Just saw this on Deadspin; it's an excerpt from the book Are We Winning? about the Bartman incident. Thought some of you Cub haters would like to relive that moment..

Deadspin Link

That was really good.

It made me feel really bad for Bartman and really contrasted him well with the average Wrigley Field fan.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 4, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Bartman worked, and may still work, at the same place as a buddy of mine who I play basketball with. I remember him telling me about all the phone calls that came in the days following asking for and trying to harass Bartman.

Funny thing is, if he got contacts, shaved his head, and wore more up to date clothes minus the headphones, he could walk into Wrigley and nobody would know it was him.

A friend of mine worked at the same company, and he said there was a memo that any inter-office shennanigans could and would result in some form of severe discipline.

It's just a sad example of "Cubbie lore" that he is singled out, Prior absolutely melted down, the double play ball was blown and to top it off it wasn't the close out game, Kerry Wood pitched and lost game 7. I had told my friends in the Atlanta series that the Cubs wouldn't go far that year because Wood and Prior would choke, then they pitched real well until game 6 or 7, so I was right!!! lol

I remember thinking that the Cubs were getting their momentum back in that series too when, after they went down 3-0, came back with 5 unanswered and went up 5-3. That didn't happen. I'm sure it was Bartman's fault that the Marlins won that game too.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 4, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
A friend of mine worked at the same company, and he said there was a memo that any inter-office shennanigans could and would result in some form of severe discipline.

It's just a sad example of "Cubbie lore" that he is singled out, Prior absolutely melted down, the double play ball was blown and to top it off it wasn't the close out game, Kerry Wood pitched and lost game 7. I had told my friends in the Atlanta series that the Cubs wouldn't go far that year because Wood and Prior would choke, then they pitched real well until game 6 or 7, so I was right!!! lol

I will never understand why Steve Bartman rather than Alex Gonzalez has been made out to be the villain and the goat by Cubs fans. If Gonzalez makes a routine play on a double play ball the Cubs go to the World Series, I've never been convinced Alou catches that ball to begin with.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 4, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
I will never understand why Steve Bartman rather than Alex Gonzalez has been made out to be the villain and the goat by Cubs fans. If Gonzalez makes a routine play on a double play ball the Cubs go to the World Series, I've never been convinced Alou catches that ball to begin with.

I love that DLEE basically added to the Cubbie curse.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 4, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
I remember thinking that the Cubs were getting their momentum back in that series too when, after they went down 3-0, came back with 5 unanswered and went up 5-3. That didn't happen. I'm sure it was Bartman's fault that the Marlins won that game too.

And the game-tying home run came from the starting pitcher, which should give you all the momentum you need, until that same pitcher coughs it up, just like the other "ace" did.

The one thing I'll always remember from that game is MCab's 1st inning 3-run bomb. Wood threw him like a 97-mph fastball ankle high, and Cabrera just golfed it out to the back of the bleachers. I was just like, wow, this kid is gonna be good.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2010 -> 07:12 AM)
And the game-tying home run came from the starting pitcher, which should give you all the momentum you need, until that same pitcher coughs it up, just like the other "ace" did.

The one thing I'll always remember from that game is MCab's 1st inning 3-run bomb. Wood threw him like a 97-mph fastball ankle high, and Cabrera just golfed it out to the back of the bleachers. I was just like, wow, this kid is gonna be good.

When Wood hit that HR I immediately said to myself "f*** it, the Cubs are going to the World Series." I was obviously watching the game on the tube. But I had never heard a ballpark as loud as Wrigley got after Wood's HR. I couldn't believe it. When Alou made it 5-3 I turned it off. I couldn't take it. About 20 minutes later I said f*** it. I was just gonna suck it up. Good move by me.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
When Wood hit that HR I immediately said to myself "f*** it, the Cubs are going to the World Series." I was obviously watching the game on the tube. But I had never heard a ballpark as loud as Wrigley got after Wood's HR. I couldn't believe it. When Alou made it 5-3 I turned it off. I couldn't take it. About 20 minutes later I said f*** it. I was just gonna suck it up. Good move by me.

Haha, I remember feeling absolutely sick to my stomach when Wood hit that homer. When Bako flew out to LF to end the game, it was the most relieving moment of my life. Thank you so much Josh Beckett.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)

Juan Pierre almost led off that game with a homer, BTW. I went to a Marlins game a few years ago, and their video moment in team's history was Mordecai's double. I was way too happy to see that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 4, 2010 -> 06:37 PM)

He admitted that he wouldn't have caught the ball.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
I think he meant up to that point.

Even so, some people's schadenfeude when it comes to the Cubs is pretty absurd. If your greatest moments of relief and joy surround watching some team you don't like lose a baseball game, it may be time to re-evaluate things.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
Even so, some people's schadenfeude when it comes to the Cubs is pretty absurd. If your greatest moments of relief and joy surround watching some team you don't like lose a baseball game, it may be time to re-evaluate things.

Guilty as charged. September/October of 2003 to that point had been BRUTAL for me (in a sporting sense). The Sox choking down the stretch made it tough enough. But the Cubs on a playoff tear? It was unbearable. It was Cubbie fever 24/7. Everywhere you went. People who had never watched a baseball game in their lives sporting Cub gear. Even my mom, who can't spell baseball, jumped on the wagon. The Sox had never been so irrelevant. I'm with fathom. The most relieving moment of my sports life? No. But I can see where he's coming from. I'll be forever in debt to the 2003 Marlins (and Bartman).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Guilty as charged. September/October of 2003 to that point had been BRUTAL for me (in a sporting sense). The Sox choking down the stretch made it tough enough. But the Cubs on a playoff tear? It was unbearable. It was Cubbie fever 24/7. Everywhere you went. People who had never watched a baseball game in their lives sporting Cub gear. Even my mom, who can't spell baseball, jumped on the wagon. The Sox had never been so irrelevant. I'm with fathom. The most relieving moment of my sports life? No. But I can see where he's coming from. I'll be forever in debt to the 2003 Marlins (and Bartman).

Yes, relieving in terms of not having to deal with the awfulness that was surrounding the Chicagoland area during that playoff season. I would never say that the White Sox winning in 2005 was relieving. That was more thrilling and satisfying. And if the Cubs won it in 2003, the 2005 WS wouldn't have been nearly as special in Chicago.