2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
And yet, it doesn't exactly seem like it's being all the helpful for them.

They're doing a much better job in close games as opposed to the beginning of the year when they were using Caridad as their set-up man. I do look forward to watching Howry pitch more for them.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
Um, they're doing a much better job in close games as opposed to the beginning of the year when they were using Caridad as their set-up man. I do look forward to watching Howry pitch more for them.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Linebrink or Jenks pitch for them. That's right i'm hoping the Cubs stay in contention just long enough for them to need bullpen help when we start to unload.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 23, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Linebrink or Jenks pitch for them. That's right i'm hoping the Cubs stay in contention just long enough for them to need bullpen help when we start to unload.

Which overhyped prospect would you like in return?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Which overhyped prospect would you like in return?

Hard to argue the success of Castro and Colvin so far this year though. Never would have thought they'd be more successful than Quentin and Beckham.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
Hard to argue the success of Castro and Colvin so far this year though. Never would have thought they'd be more successful than Quentin and Beckham.

considering they have been in the majors for 2 months, I would say it is still hard to argue

Castro looks like he'll be the real deal to me, given some time. Colvin, I think, ends up being nothing more than a 4th OF. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Castro looks like he'll be the real deal to me, given some time. Colvin, I think, ends up being nothing more than a 4th OF. Just my opinion.

We all said the same thing last year about Beckham, and now he is old news. Sometimes guys hit the league on fire and flame out, others are able to maintain. Some of them get the sophomore jinx, others are Derek Jeter(offensively, not defensively)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
We all said the same thing last year about Beckham, and now he is old news. Sometimes guys hit the league on fire and flame out, others are able to maintain. Some of them get the sophomore jinx, others are Derek Jeter(offensively, not defensively)

And I still think that Beckham ends up being very good.

The fun part is that there is still plenty of time for them to turn into Jerome Walton.

From what I've seen, Castro's had more fluke hits this year than the entire Sox team combined. He does have excellent speed and great hand-eye coordination. I actually think Colvin is a good player, but he'll never be in the Cubs plans.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
From what I've seen, Castro's had more fluke hits this year than the entire Sox team combined. He does have excellent speed and great hand-eye coordination. I actually think Colvin is a good player, but he'll never be in the Cubs plans.

I could see this.

It's getting close to the point of the season where I've given up hope on the Sox and just hope the Cubs don't make the postseason. They're playing good baseball, as their starting rotation has really overachieved. With D. Lee hitting again, they're definitely an upper echelon team.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:42 PM)
It's getting close to the point of the season where I've given up hope on the Sox and just hope the Cubs don't make the postseason. They're playing good baseball, as their starting rotation has really overachieved. With D. Lee hitting again, they're definitely an upper echelon team.

This is what I've missed most about ST! ;) :D

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
Yeah I agree, the Cubs are not an upper echelon team at all. I think if things go well, they are a 3rd place team in the NLC. Could be 4th or lower if things don't go well.

If "EVERYTHING" went well, and that includes very improbable events like Soriano hitting 30+ HR and staying healthy and Carlos Silva pitching like a #2 starter and Carlos Marmol never hitting that mid-season slump he usually seems to find, and on top of that, an injury hits the Reds or Pujols continues to struggle, I could see them competing for the wild card, but that's about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
If "EVERYTHING" went well, and that includes very improbable events like Soriano hitting 30+ HR and staying healthy and Carlos Silva pitching like a #2 starter and Carlos Marmol never hitting that mid-season slump he usually seems to find, and on top of that, an injury hits the Reds or Pujols continues to struggle, I could see them competing for the wild card, but that's about it.

It's funny that Pujols is struggling yet is putting up a .941 OPS. Not that I disagree...comparatively speaking, he is struggling...just that it's awesome when a player is so good that what is generally regarded as very good for a player is struggling for him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
It's funny that Pujols is struggling yet is putting up a .941 OPS. Not that I disagree...comparatively speaking, he is struggling...just that it's awesome when a player is so good that what is generally regarded as very good for a player is struggling for him.

But...only an .812 OPS in May. 1.085 in April.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)

Cardinals and Reds have some major starting pitching issues. Cardinals have 3 rookies in their starting rotation. The Cards fans I work with despise Mark McGwire as their hitting coach, as they feel he stresses home runs and not contact.