2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
Cardinals and Reds have some major starting pitching issues. Cardinals have 3 rookies in their starting rotation. The Cards fans I work with despise Mark McGwire as their hitting coach, as they feel he stresses home runs and not contact.

Reds also have both Chapman and possibly later in the year Volquez waiting in the wings. Cardinals have 3 rookies there because of injury, which you can't say isn't going to hit the Cubs as well.

And you actually think the pitching coach has that much of an impact that it could cost them the division?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Reds also have both Chapman and possibly later in the year Volquez waiting in the wings. Cardinals have 3 rookies there because of injury, which you can't say isn't going to hit the Cubs as well.

And you actually think the pitching coach has that much of an impact that it could cost them the division?

Hitting coach you mean, and no, I wasn't saying that it would cost them the division. I thought it was interesting to hear another fan base bash their hitting coach so early into his tenure.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
I thought it was interesting to hear another fan base bash their hitting coach so early into his tenure.

Any time a team's bats slump at all they're going to go after the hitting coach. It's the easiest target. Pujols has had a down month? FIRE THE HITTING COACH!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
But...only an .812 OPS in May. 1.085 in April.

You still just proved wite's point. A .812 OPS in a month is a great month for alot of players.

Edited by SoxAce

I don't often get into this, but there is nothing worse than a Cubs fan friend on facebook who happens to be attending a game. I have a lot of them, so I have diagnosed the exact process by which all fans are required to follow in order to attend a game and also be on facebook. It is as follows.

1. OMG GOING TO CUBS GAME TOMORROW

2. GOING TO CUBS TODAY WOOHOO

3. picture of beer in hand before game starts

4. picture of random at bat in the early innings

5. picture of random at bat in the middle innings

6. picture of random at bat in the late innings

7a. [if cubs win... rarely] CUBS GAME WAS GREAT GO CUBS

7b. [if cubs lose...often] - silence

Edited by Steve9347

No Ethier and Ramirez in Dodgers lineup = extremely weak offense. And you wonder why mediocre pitchers in the NL put up good numbers. The more I watch Padres games, the more I'm convinced that Javy Vazquez would have been a potential HOF candidate if he pitched there his entire career.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
No Ethier and Ramirez in Dodgers lineup = extremely weak offense. And you wonder why mediocre pitchers in the NL put up good numbers. The more I watch Padres games, the more I'm convinced that Javy Vazquez would have been a potential HOF candidate if he pitched there his entire career.

The wind is also blowing basically straight in, looked slightly left to right field, but the flags were pretty taut

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 27, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
The wind is also blowing basically straight in, looked slightly left to right field, but the flags were pretty taut

Ted Lilly has magically had that happen so often in his Cubs career. I'd love to see a breakdown on his percentage of home starts with wind blowing in/out.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
Ted Lilly has magically had that happen so often in his Cubs career. I'd love to see a breakdown on his percentage of home starts with wind blowing in/out.

That would take a long time to figure out.

The thing with Lilly is that he's a fly ball pitcher in a small ass park. He shouldn't be having success, but he has...

You don't get lucky three years in a row very often.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
I don't often get into this, but there is nothing worse than a Cubs fan friend on facebook who happens to be attending a game. I have a lot of them, so I have diagnosed the exact process by which all fans are required to follow in order to attend a game and also be on facebook. It is as follows.

1. OMG GOING TO CUBS GAME TOMORROW

2. GOING TO CUBS TODAY WOOHOO

3. picture of beer in hand before game starts

4. picture of random at bat in the early innings

5. picture of random at bat in the middle innings

6. picture of random at bat in the late innings

7a. [if cubs win... rarely] CUBS GAME WAS GREAT GO CUBS

7b. [if cubs lose...often] - silence

Couldn't agree more. It's always the people that I could have hung out with for years and never knew they had an interest in baseball.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Cubs in great position to catch up to the Cardinals in the standings after this weekend, as the Cardinals offense is really slowing down.

As much as I usually am rooting so hard for the the cubs to miss the postseason, this year I'm not worried. I know they don't have a chance of anything really.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
As much as I usually am rooting so hard for the the cubs to miss the postseason, this year I'm not worried. I know they don't have a chance of anything really.

I would have said they'd have no chance based on how the Cards started this year, but that offense of the Cards seems to have some bad mojo. Lohse might be done for the year, and who knows how Penny returns from injury. J. Garcia has been filthy for the Cardinals so far this season in their rotation. Some of the Cubs hitters that started hot are slowing down now, but D. Lee is picking it up. Crazy that the Cubs have 11 wins between Silva and Marshall.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
I would have said they'd have no chance based on how the Cards started this year, but that offense of the Cards seems to have some bad mojo. Lohse might be done for the year, and who knows how Penny returns from injury. J. Garcia has been filthy for the Cardinals so far this season in their rotation. Some of the Cubs hitters that started hot are slowing down now, but D. Lee is picking it up. Crazy that the Cubs have 11 wins between Silva and Marshall.

Just to allow me to translate:

Cards offense picks up some bad Mojo = Albert Pujols only putting up a .800 OPS in May.

Now really, I'd love for you to explain to me why I shouldn't expect that problem to fix itself.

If the Cardinals need to worry about anything, it's their starting pitching, if Penney can't come back soon, now that Lohse is out.

Of course, I can offer a perfect solution to that...one "Freddy Garcia" would be an excellent fit there in the back of their rotation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
Just to allow me to translate:

Cards offense picks up some bad Mojo = Albert Pujols only putting up a .800 OPS in May.

Now really, I'd love for you to explain to me why I shouldn't expect that problem to fix itself.

Cardinals got off to a hot start cause Rasmus was playing out of his mind. They need him to start making contact again. Also, don't discount the fact the NL has realized how to pitch Holliday. Fastballs inside, and you'll cut down on his productivity. They can't afford another injury to a starting pitcher...if so, let the Buehrle rumors begin.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Also, don't discount the fact the NL has realized how to pitch Holliday. Fastballs inside, and you'll cut down on his productivity.

The same thing was said about him being unable to hit in the AL last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
The same thing was said about him being unable to hit in the AL last year.

Wasn't it you though that posted some stuff in the offseason about how opposing scouts discovered late last season how he couldn't hit fastballs, and the Dodgers threw him something like 95% inside fastballs in the postseason? Watching a few Cardinals games lately, they're not throwing him anything offspeed.

Edited by fathom