Remember when...?

Brian

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
That's called the intro, DJ's talk over the music until the lyrics start. It's actually very hard to perfect. When I was a DJ, I could never do it right.

Where you using records or carts? We had a little count down thing to tell us when the lyrics started so we could nail it everytime.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
We had carts and manual CD players when I was in college at the radio station. That was a drag.

usually the music director had it marked somewhere how long the intro was so you could hit it if you tried. Man....sometimes i miss those radio days.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)
I remember when I had to have a pull over-Starter jacket. It was a must for 8 year olds in 1993.

Didn't even have to be your team sometimes. I donned both a Steelers and a Florida Gators jacket.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
Remember WebTV?

I got that free for several years in return for agreeing to take regular consumer surveys via the system.

Cumbersome and clunky as hell, but the at-home interactivity on the Jeopardy game show was cool.

I remember when Santa filled my stocking with fresh citrus, nuts and some chocolate candy and left one really cool toy under the tree to go with it.

I remember something that thankfully came back recently...It's a Wonderful Life was on once a year, only on Christmas Eve. If you missed it, wait 'til next year. Then, a few years back, it was getting like a TBS movie of being played ad nauseum. Thankfully, NBC (I think) bought the rights and went back to X-Mas Eve only.

I remember when WGN would put together a great old movie lineup for New Year's Day and would have Family Classics with Frazier Thomas on Sundays.

I remember Bozo and Ray Rayner.

I remember when FOX was WFLD Chicago 32 and would show reruns of Laurel & Hardy, The Little Rascals, and Blondie.

I remember when Ditka coached the Bears and was a god.

I remember when Ditka wrestled God and won.

I remember when Ditka beat Bill Brasky downing shots.

I remember when the Russians were our enemy and Bin Laden was our friend.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
Remember when debit cards came about? Back then it was cool, now it's dangerous. Say you're strolling through Best Buy and you eyeball a 50" LCD. Not enough cash in your pocket, but you got that debit card!

The danger was

favorite bar + ATM next door = longer, more expensive nights

replacing

favorite bar + out of cash = time to go home

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
Where you using records or carts? We had a little count down thing to tell us when the lyrics started so we could nail it everytime.

Software. BigEdWalsh would be most familiar with the station I worked on.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (juddling @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
usually the music director had it marked somewhere how long the intro was so you could hit it if you tried. Man....sometimes i miss those radio days.

My PD had the intro listed on the log, I just couldn't hit it. I used a 360 audio bank to record my ad liners.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:14 AM)
Didn't even have to be your team sometimes. I donned both a Steelers and a Florida Gators jacket.

I had a Bulls one and a pullover IU one that I got right after meeting the soccer coach there and wanting to attend. I think I still have it at my parents house.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I never fulfilled my dream of playing the grand prize game on Bozo.

At one point in time, the wait list just to be in the audience was years long. We tried to get the last Bozo (Joey D'Auria) to be the entertainment at my company holiday party one year but his agent said he is not allowed to reprise the role due to some conflict with the guy who owns the bozo show rights. Sad day when it went off the air.

My grandma sent for Bozo tickets pretty much when my younger brother was born and we finally got them eight years later. Imagine my surprise when the audience "cast of thousands" was actually only about two hundred people. My brother was picked to play a team relay race game but his team ended up losing because one of the kids (in a cub scout uniform) stopped to pick his pants out of his ass and gave up the lead. :lolhitting

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
I remember something that thankfully came back recently...It's a Wonderful Life was on once a year, only on Christmas Eve. If you missed it, wait 'til next year. Then, a few years back, it was getting like a TBS movie of being played ad nauseum. Thankfully, NBC (I think) bought the rights and went back to X-Mas Eve only.

Recently? NBC bought those right more than 10 years ago I think, you old curmudgeon :lol: But I remember WGN running it multiple times a night. God that was annoying.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
I remember when FOX was WFLD Chicago 32 and would show reruns of Laurel & Hardy, The Little Rascals, and Blondie.

It's amazing what Fox has become after its start as a fuzzy station in my cable-less world along with Channel 50 (WPWR).

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I never fulfilled my dream of playing the grand prize game on Bozo.

This is my 15 minutes of fame. Friends of our family put in for the tickets years and years back and let me and my cousin come along. I got picked for the grand prize game. Got to the 4th bucket before I missed it. Once I got past the 3rd bucket I got false hope that I was going to win the whole damn thing. I won some small items like a family board game. I walked out of there with some cool stuff, but in reality I didn't respect it because I was bummed I didnt win the grand prize which was a bike. I remember thinking that it would be on the next week on TV but it look like 6 months for it to show up on TV. This thread is cool just to jog some old memories. I need to locate the VHS tape at my dads house of this so I can convert it to DVD for my kids to see.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
Recently? NBC bought those right more than 10 years ago I think, you old curmudgeon :lol: But I remember WGN running it multiple times a night. God that was annoying.

It's amazing what Fox has become after its start as a fuzzy station in my cable-less world along with Channel 50 (WPWR).

Sorry, time got blurry once I started having kids a few years back. WPWR and MeTV (they aren't the same, are they) have a lot of similarities to the old WFLD but I don't watch much anymore so it is not the same.

BTW, whoever said HUdson 3-2700 really brought a smile to my face.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
This is my 15 minutes of fame. Friends of our family put in for the tickets years and years back and let me and my cousin come along. I got picked for the grand prize game. Got to the 4th bucket before I missed it. Once I got past the 3rd bucket I got false hope that I was going to win the whole damn thing. I won some small items like a family board game. I walked out of there with some cool stuff, but in reality I didn't respect it because I was bummed I didnt win the grand prize which was a bike. I remember thinking that it would be on the next week on TV but it look like 6 months for it to show up on TV. This thread is cool just to jog some old memories. I need to locate the VHS tape at my dads house of this so I can convert it to DVD for my kids to see.

The bike was the big prize, but don't forget about the silver dollars — one more added to the bucket each day "until someone wins them all!!"