Remember when...?

Brian

I remember when Jewel brand soda was 10-25 cents, and the variety was crazy awesome. I used to walk in the soda aisle and buy like 10 bucks worth in high school for the week. Black Cherry was the best, hands down.

This was only like 10-15 years ago, then they started pricing it competitively.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
I remember when Jewel brand soda was 10-25 cents, and the variety was crazy awesome. I used to walk in the soda aisle and buy like 10 bucks worth in high school for the week. Black Cherry was the best, hands down.

This was only like 10-15 years ago, then they started pricing it competitively.

1.Black Cherry

2. Cream Soda

3. Red Pop

Top three, easily.

One of my favorites! Pulling up to a stop sign and CONSTANTLY seeing 200 miles of unwound 8-track tape hooked on some weeds and blowing in the wind. It always reminded me of how someone probably got it jammed up in their deck, got ticked, and tossed the tape out the window. Man, I used to see that stuff all over.........A LOT!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Interesting - where can I get it? Keep in mind I'm south of the mason-dixon line. :lol:

hmmm...a quick look at the website tells me it's only available in stores in NY and NJ, which I didn't realize. It's available at a bunch of places online. Of course, if you hate it I'll feel bad.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Sorry, time got blurry once I started having kids a few years back. WPWR and MeTV (they aren't the same, are they) have a lot of similarities to the old WFLD but I don't watch much anymore so it is not the same.

BTW, whoever said HUdson 3-2700 really brought a smile to my face.

Man, I grew up watching channel 50 WPWR all the time. I used to watch it so much that I used to, and still do, pronounce the initials of WPWR as "WhiP-WeR", did anyone else do the same thing? It's programmed in my head now that anytime I see WPWR, I say whip-wer.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 07:02 AM)
Remember when "penny candy" actually cost something at least close to a penny?

I remember it when it "WAS" a penny. The local Ben Franklin store had a huge bin to choose what you want. If you had 50 cents, you'd put 50 pieces of candy in a brown paper bag, go the counter, and the cashier wouldn't even count it. They would just ask you..."How many you got??" You told them and then pay for it.

On the counter, they used to have a huge matchbox car display. THE ORIGINAL ONES that were made in England. Whenever I had a little money. I always had a hard time deciding whether to buy candy, or a matchbox car.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
I remember it when it "WAS" a penny. The local Ben Franklin store had a huge bin to choose what you want. If you had 50 cents, you'd put 50 pieces of candy in a brown paper bag, go the counter, and the cashier wouldn't even count it. They would just ask you..."How many you got??" You told them and then pay for it.

On the counter, they used to have a huge matchbox car display. THE ORIGINAL ONES that were made in England. Whenever I had a little money. I always had a hard time deciding whether to buy candy, or a matchbox car.

Ah yes. I remember riding bikes to Ben Franklin and getting a bag of jolly ranchers and tootsie rolls. But the big thing were those gum balls that coated your mouth with color and came in the paint can. I think they were called Splashers. And Airheads were also a fashionable candy.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 02:33 AM)
Man, I grew up watching channel 50 WPWR all the time. I used to watch it so much that I used to, and still do, pronounce the initials of WPWR as "WhiP-WeR", did anyone else do the same thing? It's programmed in my head now that anytime I see WPWR, I say whip-wer.

I never pronounced it that, and they were always the network carrying Star Trek.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 08:15 AM)
I remember when WGN would put together a great old movie lineup for New Year's Day and would have Family Classics with Frazier Thomas on Sundays.

I remember Bozo and Ray Rayner.

I remember when FOX was WFLD Chicago 32 and would show reruns of Laurel & Hardy, The Little Rascals, and Blondie.

I remember when Ditka coached the Bears and was a god.

I remember Mike Ditka being the guest speaker at my older brother's Letterman Dinner at York High School in 1964.

I remember the Early Show (an afternoon movie on channel 2).

I remember when all there was to watch on TV were channel 2, 5, 7 and 9 (and it was all black and white).

I remember when Bob Bell who played Bozo played Andy Starr (an old guy who ran a movie theater and showed Three Stooges shorts).

I remember Shock Theater hosted by Marvin on Saturday nights.

I remember when candy bars were a nickel.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
I remember Mike Ditka being the guest speaker at my older brother's Letterman Dinner at York High School in 1964.

I remember the Early Show (an afternoon movie on channel 2).

I remember when all there was to watch on TV were channel 2, 5, 7 and 9 (and it was all black and white).

I remember when Bob Bell who played Bozo played Andy Starr (an old guy who ran a movie theater and showed Three Stooges shorts).

I remember Shock Theater hosted by Marvin on Saturday nights.

I remember when candy bars were a nickel.

I take it your family moved from Maywood to Elmhurst?

That is pretty impressive about 2, 5, 7 and 9. For a while, my girlfriend (now wife) and I had no cable, which took me back to my youth of 2, 5, 7, 9, 11, 26, 32 and 50 (not counting univision and telemundo). It was so liberating. I really only cared about 9 and 26 (Sox games) and could survive listening to the other games on radio. Granted, Rooney was still doing PBP. I am certain I would be on the phone with the cable company fast if I had to listen to Farmer for even a week.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
I take it your family moved from Maywood to Elmhurst?

Yep and I hated Elmhurst.

I feel much the same as you about listening to Farmer. I thought he was ok as a color guy. He was at least funny sometimes., but he is dreadful at play by play.

Speaking of White Sox announcers, I remember Bob Elson ("The Ol' Commander") on WCFL.

Speaking of WCFL, I remember Top 40 radio...WLS and then later WCFL too.

Speaking of WLS, I remember when Dick Biondi was on that station in the early 60's. He left and came back a few years later on WCFL.