Remember when...?

Brian

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
I remember those teevee ads for Long Chevrolet. . . IN ELMHURST!

I can't think of ANYBODY who ever saw that commercial, that hearing that annoying kid "Timmy, the newspaper boy" that didn't fantasize about wishing they could take that kid out to the parking lot and start wailing on him. MAN DID THAT KID GET UNDER YOUR NERVES!

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
I can't think of ANYBODY who ever saw that commercial, that hearing that annoying kid "Timmy, the newspaper boy" that didn't fantasize about wishing they could take that kid out to the parking lot and start wailing on him. MAN DID THAT KID GET UNDER YOUR NERVES!

I'd take Timmy over Harry Schmirler, "Your Singing Ford man" any day.

"In the Good Old Summertime. . . "

Loved seeing old Timmy get a pie in the face in one of those commercials though. :lolhitting

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Celozzi Etelson chevrolet in elmhurst at york and roosevelt road. Where you always save more money.

I never lived out west, so a couple of years ago I was out there visiting a friend and I was driving on York and came up to Roosevelt. I'm thinking "why does that sound so familiar?" then the light bulb went off, but that dealership is gone now. I was all disappointed.

This thread has taken a fun Chicago-centric turn. :headbang

Here's one. Remember when Shelly Long was the cute-as-a-bug Homemakers Furniture Girl?

:wub:

"It's not low price furniture. It's good furniture at low prices!"

Going back a little further, remember when an unknown kid named Gary Coleman was on the Harris Bank comercials?

Harris Lion: "Yoouu should have a Harris Banker."

Li'l Gary: "You should have a Hubert Doll!"

I had one!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
I'd take Timmy over Harry Schmirler, "Your Singing Ford man" any day.

"In the Good Old Summertime. . . "

Loved seeing old Timmy get a pie in the face in one of those commercials though. :lolhitting

Boy oh Boy! You definately win that one. He beats Timmy hands down. TOTALLY Forgot all about that Schmirler idiot! Still laughing as I type this. Your posting really fits this thread..."Remember when???"

Can't type anymore. Still laughing!

Can't forget about Jim Sorensen Chevrolet! Jim: You're a great wife Carol!" Wife: "You're a great Chevy dealer Jim!"

As Jay Leno would say............."SHUT UP!

(Note......now you're gonna have that Schmerler idiot on my mind all night!)

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Boy oh Boy! You definately win that one. He beats Timmy hands down. TOTALLY Forgot all about that Schmirler idiot! Still laughing as I type this. Your posting really fits this thread..."Remember when???"

Can't type anymore. Still laughing!

Can't forget about Jim Sorensen Chevrolet! Jim: You're a great wife Carol!" Wife: "You're a great Chevy dealer Jim!"

As Jay Leno would say............."SHUT UP!

(Note......now you're gonna have that Schmerler idiot on my mind all night!)

Here ya Go!

<!--quoteo(post=2067076:date=Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:01 PM:name=Rooftop Shots)-->

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
<!--quotec-->Here ya Go!
<!--quoteo(post=2067078:date=Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:04 PM:name=Rooftop Shots)-->
QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
<!--quotec-->I've got something for you!

Those are great. And what about this one?

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:01 PM) Here ya Go!
QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:04 PM) I've got something for you!

Those are great. And what about this one?

Man.....that guy must be in his 80's by now. Believe it or not, that commercial still pops up now and then.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Hey, if we're going to go "The lips route" then we can't forget about the cartoon s"Clutch Cargo" and "Scott McCloud-Space angel"

Real Lips talking inserted into a cartoon.

Two great blasts from the past for sure! Creepy as it is, I think the "Synchro-Vox" superimposed lips were a stroke of genius as far as cost-cutting production techniques go.

Some Clutch cargo and Space Angel trivia:

• The guy who voiced "Swampy" in clutch cargo was the guy who played Otis the drunk on the Andy Griffith show. He also was the voice of Owl from the original Disnew Winnie the Pooh films.

• The artist who did the static cell art for Space Angel was Alex Toth — a guy that probably only Kyyle would recognize, but a comic book and animation legend. Did many years great late golden age DC comic work into the 1950s, and also was the Hannah Barbara production designer who designed Space Ghost.

I miss childhood.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
Aronson (Aronson furniture!) home of the credit connection, Aronson!

Ever see the Spanish version?

(right around 0:50 is where the music starts)

How about "That old car is worth money" "710 East Green in Bensenville"?

I was watching the Blues Brothers with my boys the other day and had a field day pointing out some old landmarks, in particular the Magikist Lips on the highway.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
• The artist who did the static cell art for Space Angel was Alex Toth — a guy that probably only Kyyle would recognize, but a comic book and animation legend. Did many years great late golden age DC comic work into the 1950s, and also was the Hannah Barbara production designer who designed Space Ghost.

My parents and I have a pretty extensive amount of comics featuring toth's DC comic work, along with his short, but very impressive standard comic tenure. I would say i am a fairly big fan of his. Sadly though, comics have been horrible for far too long now, so much so that i don't even try to bother keep up with them. I do not bother with pretty much anything past the bronze age. The asinine prices in the first place are enough to scare me away, and that is not even bothering with all the flaws acquired in the past 25 years.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Ever see the Spanish version?

(right around 0:50 is where the music starts)

How about "That old car is worth money" "710 East Green in Bensenville"?

I was watching the Blues Brothers with my boys the other day and had a field day pointing out some old landmarks, in particular the Magikist Lips on the highway.

Yeah, I like how "casa de conecion de credito" still fits in the rhythm. lol

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
My parents and I have a pretty extensive amount of comics featuring toth's DC comic work, along with his short, but very impressive standard comic tenure. I would say i am a fairly big fan of his. Sadly though, comics have been horrible for far too long now, so much so that i don't even try to bother keep up with them. I do not bother with pretty much anything past the bronze age. The asinine prices in the first place are enough to scare me away, and that is not even bothering with all the flaws acquired in the past 25 years.

I'm seriously envious of your family's collection! :notworthy

I also largely share your view on what I see as the decline of the medium, not too mention the prohibitive expense. Toth felt pretty much the same way. He died on my birthday a couple of years back and I remember being first alerted to it by an in-memorium title card during Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.

Does anybody remember this ad from the early 1980s?

Years later here in Florida I actually ended up going to grad school and becoming good friends with the girl in this ad. It was years after we'd known each other that she mentioned her past life as a childhood actor and dug out the VHS tape compilation. Pretty wild that I'd grown up seeing EVERYTHING she did. She was also the "It's YOU Daddy!" kid on the vintage Bristle Blocks commercial, and she was in in an airline ad where kids were pretending to fly to different destinatios wearing cardboard planes and different states and such. She was also in a pretty bad 1980s teevee rendition of Christmas Carol.