Remember when...?

Brian

The cartoon selection back in the 70s/80s are so much better than what kids get today. Kids of today are really at a disadvantage to their programming. It seems that most programming today is targetted at really small children or the teen/adult crowd. I have done my best to purchase or locate the content from my youth to help my children see some of the cool stuff that I grew up with. So far my son has really fallen in love with a lot of the same programs that I grew up with. Sure kids today have the cartoon network but there is only so many times you can see Spongebob Squarepants, Chowder, and the other silly things that get repeated like 30 times a day. The current Saturday morning programming is a joke. Thank god for streaming internet sites, dvd collections, and media platforms like my ps3 to help bring this content to the current generation.

Bugs Bunny/Road Runner show

Voltron (Vehilcle and Lion )

Robotech

Thundercats

Superfriends

Battle of the Planets

Ultraman/Spectraman

Mighty Mouse

Tennesse Tuxedo

Woody Woodpecker

Hell Tex Avery cartoons in general

Tom and Jerry

Peabody and Sherman Show

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Captain Caveman

Scooby Doo

Dynamutt

The Bannana Split show

Magilla Gorilla

Atom Ant

Wonderbug

Hong Kong Fooey

Popeye Show

Hell TV programming in general has changed to the wrong side now. Friday and Saturday night used to have actual programming as it was family night. I miss sitcoms, I mis s the Saturday night TV programming. I am sick and tired of damn reality TV. We are at the 7th level of hell in reality TV programming when some of the B list celebrities are getting reality shows. There is actually a show called Conveyorbelt of Love on TV. This is when you see we have reached maximum meatball status.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
When my nephew came over to my house a couple of days ago I busted out the original TMNT cartoons and now he absolutely loves them and won't stop talking about them.

I rotate different cartoons to see what hits and what doesn't. This month I have rotated the "Pinky and the Brain" and the "Animaniacs" to the PS3. My son loves Pinky and the Brain, and has no use so far for Animaniacs. About 2 months ago I had rotated My Little Pony for my daughter and she loved it so much its pretty much the bulk of her Christmas toys that she got. She loves that show.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 02:17 AM)
I rotate different cartoons to see what hits and what doesn't. This month I have rotated the "Pinky and the Brain" and the "Animaniacs" to the PS3. My son loves Pinky and the Brain, and has no use so far for Animaniacs. About 2 months ago I had rotated My Little Pony for my daughter and she loved it so much its pretty much the bulk of her Christmas toys that she got. She loves that show.

My son is a little too young for all that, but I have some of those on DVD too for when he gets ready to wean himself off Nick Jr. in a couple of years.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 01:17 AM)

Greatest cartoons ever.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)
This thread has taken a fun Chicago-centric turn. :headbang

Here's one. Remember when Shelly Long was the cute-as-a-bug Homemakers Furniture Girl?

:wub:

"It's not low price furniture. It's good furniture at low prices!"

Going back a little further, remember when an unknown kid named Gary Coleman was on the Harris Bank comercials?

Harris Lion: "Yoouu should have a Harris Banker."

Li'l Gary: "You should have a Hubert Doll!"

I had one!

My father worked there for 30 years, I had a hubert as well.

Remember when you bought albums and you were excited to check out the lyrics and other cool stuff in the album sleeve...

When Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersal called White Sox games from Comiskey Park...

When Steve Dahl and Garry Meier opened up radio for the Howard Sterns of the world...

When Honey B Sting had that cool song...

When the Loop FM 98 had that killer black shirt with their cool logo...

When Deborah Norville was a hot anchorwoman...

When Mike Royko had his funny column in the Sun-Times...

When Larry Lujack and little snot nosed Tommy did their Animal Stories...

Them were the days:)

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)
This thread has taken a fun Chicago-centric turn. :headbang

Here's one. Remember when Shelly Long was the cute-as-a-bug Homemakers Furniture Girl?

:wub:

"It's not low price furniture. It's good furniture at low prices!"

Going back a little further, remember when an unknown kid named Gary Coleman was on the Harris Bank comercials?

Harris Lion: "Yoouu should have a Harris Banker."

Li'l Gary: "You should have a Hubert Doll!"

I had one!

We still have one around somewhere. (My grandmother doesn't throw anything away.)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
I remember when school didn't get called off for piddly little six inch snow falls...

They shut down everything in Alabama when there is a mild threat of snow. The grocery stores run out of milk and bread.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)
The cartoon selection back in the 70s/80s are so much better than what kids get today. Kids of today are really at a disadvantage to their programming. It seems that most programming today is targetted at really small children or the teen/adult crowd. I have done my best to purchase or locate the content from my youth to help my children see some of the cool stuff that I grew up with. So far my son has really fallen in love with a lot of the same programs that I grew up with. Sure kids today have the cartoon network but there is only so many times you can see Spongebob Squarepants, Chowder, and the other silly things that get repeated like 30 times a day. The current Saturday morning programming is a joke. Thank god for streaming internet sites, dvd collections, and media platforms like my ps3 to help bring this content to the current generation.

Bugs Bunny/Road Runner show

Voltron (Vehilcle and Lion )

Robotech

Thundercats

Superfriends

Battle of the Planets

Ultraman/Spectraman

Mighty Mouse

Tennesse Tuxedo

Woody Woodpecker

Hell Tex Avery cartoons in general

Tom and Jerry

Peabody and Sherman Show

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Captain Caveman

Scooby Doo

Dynamutt

The Bannana Split show

Magilla Gorilla

Atom Ant

Wonderbug

Hong Kong Fooey

Popeye Show

Hell TV programming in general has changed to the wrong side now. Friday and Saturday night used to have actual programming as it was family night. I miss sitcoms, I mis s the Saturday night TV programming. I am sick and tired of damn reality TV. We are at the 7th level of hell in reality TV programming when some of the B list celebrities are getting reality shows. There is actually a show called Conveyorbelt of Love on TV. This is when you see we have reached maximum meatball status.

I have Tom and Jerry checks. They used to be scenes that filled up the whole check, now they are just stylized with the two in the center.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
I have Tom and Jerry checks. They used to be scenes that filled up the whole check, now they are just stylized with the two in the center.

Remember when people used to actually write checks :lolhitting

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:16 AM)
When Mike Royko had his funny column in the Sun-Times...

Speaking of columns, back in the late 60's when the Cubs were becoming the toast of the town and White Sox attendance dwindled to really dismal numbers and there was talk of the Sox moving and some of their "home games" were played in Milwaukee a guy named John Justin Smith had a column in the Daily News called Voice From The Grandstand. He was a White Sox supporter and often took potshots at the Cubs. It was great because the Sox got very little notice from anyone else back then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
And to piss off people like me in line behind you...

If I knew it was you behind me, I'd even make a mistake, rip up the check into 10,000 pieces, then ask the clerk to throw it away for me. Then I would carefully write another check, then tear it in half while trying to tear it from the check book, causing me to start all over again. Wait, that actually happened to me once while I waited in line at a sporting goods store. :crying

LOL, actually with all the winter Texans around here, they don't even notice.

I don't mind if someone in line in front of me writes a check, but it's when they don't even have their book out or haven't even began to make it out. If you know you're going to pay with a check somewhere, go ahead and fill in everything but the amount before you even get there.