Winter Leagues coming to a close

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
Wish they'd give Kroeger a real shot

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
I wish someone would give him a chance too. He's still young enough to do some good somewhere.

Couple of jokers we have on our hands here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 02:52 AM)
So what you're trying to say is that Kroeger's .267/.319/.423/.742 line in AAA last year as a 26 year old in his 5th year at AAA doesn't scream future superstar?

Since when does the term "do some good somewhere" imply superstardom? I never said he’d be great, I never said he had a place on this team, but stranger things have happened then a guy who was once a well-thought of prospect managing to get his career back on track if given a shot at the Major League Level.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Since when does the term "do some good somewhere" imply superstardom? I never said he’d be great, I never said he had a place on this team, but stranger things have happened then a guy who was once a well-thought of prospect managing to get his career back on track if given a shot at the Major League Level.

I tend to agree, I think there might be something there. And its possible, if De Aza is a complete flop (he's not doing so well down south), that Kroeger could get a shot with the Sox as a backup OF. But its more likely he ends up somewhere else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
If Kroeger is on the White Sox this year, we will have a top 10 draft pick in 2011.

The Sox season is dependent on who the last guy on the bench is?

Right now, the bench looks like: Kotsay, Jones, Vizquel and a backup C. There may be a 5th bench player, which is why they picked up De Aza. So we are talking here about the last bench slot, and one the Sox may not even elect to carry. Who that player is, is not going to make some huge difference in how the Sox season goes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
The Sox season is dependent on who the last guy on the bench is?

Right now, the bench looks like: Kotsay, Jones, Vizquel and a backup C. There may be a 5th bench player, which is why they picked up De Aza. So we are talking here about the last bench slot, and one the Sox may not even elect to carry. Who that player is, is not going to make some huge difference in how the Sox season goes.

If he is on this team, it means too many guys got hurt. Think 2007.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
If he is on this team, it means too many guys got hurt. Think 2007.

If he signs a minor league deal with the Sox, he's one player away from the team, if they carry 5 bench players. De Aza gets hurt or disappoints in spring, he'd be in. I think you are way, way, way overstating the importance of this.

Now, if Kroeger is STARTING, then yeah, something very bad happened.

In any case, Kroeger will more than likely sign with someone else, and take a shot in spring training of getting on a team as a backup OF.

Jones

Kotsay

Flowers (or whoever)

Vizquel

Nix/De Aza/3rd catcher/whoever

to me, it looks like Kroeger would be an injury to Kotsay and/or De Aza away from making the roster. I imagine if Jones gets hurt, the team would go with Gartrell; if Flowers/catcher, they'll go with Armstrong/Flowers; if Vizquel or Nix, they'd go with Retherford, Nix, or Lillibridge. If it's a starter, I wouldn't be surprised to see them investigate calling up Danks, though I wouldn't count on it.

I'm just not crazy about 27 year old minor leaguers who struggle in AAA.