Randy Johnson

Jordan4life_2007

This definitely deserves its own thread. Arguably the best pitcher of the modern era. When he took the mound and I was able to watch, I stopped whatever I was doing. Particularly from the mid 90's through 2004. It's gonna be a while before we see another 6'10 freak of nature like Unit.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Edited by Jordan4life

easily the best lefty of this era....right up there with clemens maddux and pedro as the best overall...legit arguement can be made for him being the best of this generation

in fact a legit arguement can be made for him being the best lefty ever and among the top 5 or so pitchers to ever play

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
easily the best lefty of this era....right up there with clemens maddux and pedro as the best overall...legit arguement can be made for him being the best of this generation

in fact a legit arguement can be made for him being the best lefty ever and among the top 5 or so pitchers to ever play

I agree with the first half of this post; not sure about the second, especially the last part.

Randy Johnson almost became a White Sox shortly before he really started dominating. In fact, the trade was so close to happening, they had his jersey made and hanging in a clubhouse stall. Whoever the Seattle GM was at the time must have changed his mind at the last second. The Sox may have dominated the 90's.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
Think he's a hall of famer?

absolutely

Top 10 similar pitchers according to baseball-reference.com

1. Roger Clemens (850)

2. Tom Glavine (829)

3. Tom Seaver (824) *

4. Bob Feller (798) *

5. Jim Palmer (791) *

6. Lefty Grove (788) *

7. Bob Gibson (778) *

8. Steve Carlton (759) *

9. Mike Mussina (756)

10. Bert Blyleven (752)

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
absolutely

Top 10 similar pitchers according to baseball-reference.com

1. Roger Clemens (850)

2. Tom Glavine (829)

3. Tom Seaver (824) *

4. Bob Feller (798) *

5. Jim Palmer (791) *

6. Lefty Grove (788) *

7. Bob Gibson (778) *

8. Steve Carlton (759) *

9. Mike Mussina (756)

10. Bert Blyleven (752)

;)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 07:13 PM)
Randy Johnson almost became a White Sox shortly before he really started dominating. In fact, the trade was so close to happening, they had his jersey made and hanging in a clubhouse stall. Whoever the Seattle GM was at the time must have changed his mind at the last second. The Sox may have dominated the 90's.

...what?

Darn you 90's Seattle GM, darn you.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
He was a prick, but he will and can prick his way into the hall of fame Ty Cobb style. Great career.

maybe in general, but my experience with him was very good. He is a family friend of a friend and when he was with the D'Backs went to a game at Wrigley with tickets he left for us and watched him pitch. Met him after and he was extremely nice, one of the coolest live baseball experiences I've had. but yeah, his body of work with the media isn't exactly glowing!

Boy, that small stretch he spent with the Astros was sick, completely dominating.

he went 13-0 against the cubs in his career, in 14 starts (15 games)....im fairly sure in the games in which he got no decisions that the cubs still lost....

pretty awesome...ever game he pitched vs. the cubs, his team won

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
Just by longevity's sake, he should be among the top 5 lefty pitchers ever. And probably the top 10 to 15 pitchers ever. He was dominant into his 40's.

He didn't start dominating until he got into his 30s. The first time he pitched a full season and walked fewer than 100 batters was 1993 - he was 29 in 1993. At that point in a players career, he is looking to get his one final contract that's going to set him up for the rest of his life. Johnson pitched for 15 more years.

When he signed with the Diamondbacks, he was 35 and had "only" won 143 games.

Randy Johnson has to be one of the weirdest statistical pitchers ever. There has to be like more than 99% of pitchers whose career paths go completely differently than Johnson's. The late career surge actually reminds me of Bonds and Clemens, but I think in Johnson's case, it is actually because it just took him that long to harness his stuff and really hone it to the point where he knew exactly what he was doing, and the fact that he really only threw 2 pitches was probably rather easy on his elbow. His slider was obviously ferocious, but it never looked like he was overly exerting himself when he threw it or the 95+ MPH fastball. He was just f***ing good.