Seattle is going to catch the ball

GREEDY

The Mariners are rumored to be acquiring Casey Kotchman. That will mean that arguably the very best defensive 1B, SS, 3B, CF and RF are all on the same team. Coupled with an above average defensive LF and 2B, Seattle is going to field the hell out of the ball this year.

Last season I watched the Dodgers late west coast starts in bed most nights, this year I am definitely going to be following Seattle instead.

I don't know much about this guy, but I certaintly like what he is doing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Zduriencik

In 2008 the M's lost 100 games... I bet they win 95 in 2010, that is one hell of a turn around.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
Seattle's winning the AL West next year, hands down.

With that fantastic 1-2 punch of Felix-Lee, a phenomenal defensive team, and good bats....just wow. They've come along way from the Bavasi fiasco.

Like who? Figgins, Suzuki and Gutierrez are good, yes, but who do you rely on after that? Lopez is going to give you a .300 OBP, Griffey is simply awful, Bradley is a huge question mark and Jack Wilson might be the worst hitter in baseball. Who's going to catch? Is Kotchman going to come back and be above-average?

Seattle will be better next year and they are heading in the right direction but they are going to have a bad, bad offense.

Seattle’s desperately needs another arm. Maybe even two. I don’t think you can go into the season counting on Fister, Snell or Petit to produce. Honestly, if they’re willing to gamble on at least two spots in their rotation I’d offer Sheets and Mulder money and hope for a reclamation.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
Seattle’s desperately needs another arm. Maybe even two. I don’t think you can go into the season counting on Fister, Snell or Petit to produce. Honestly, if they’re willing to gamble on at least two spots in their rotation I’d offer Sheets and Mulder money and hope for a reclamation.

They're in a good spot though, in that they don't have to go out and get a great arm. Look at Washburn's numbers with Seattle and Detroit. That defense can make anyone look good and is even better than it was last year.

They already had great defense and great pitching last year but their offense sucked. And they really didn't do much to improve that. Figgins is a bit of an upgrade over Beltre. Kotchman is a downgrade over Branyan. Griffey is only going to get worse IMO. Who knows which Bradley will show up and for how many games.

It's great if you have a team ERA of 3.00 but if you only score 1-2 runs then you still lose.

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
They already had great defense and great pitching last year but their offense sucked. And they really didn't do much to improve that. Figgins is a bit of an upgrade over Beltre. Kotchman is a downgrade over Branyan. Griffey is only going to get worse IMO. Who knows which Bradley will show up and for how many games.

It's great if you have a team ERA of 3.00 but if you only score 1-2 runs then you still lose.

After looking at their projected everyday lineup, you definitely have a point. I guess many (including myself) are mesmerized by the 1-2 punch of Hernandez/Lee (could be a formidable trio if Bedard is healthy) and their overall team defense. But the offense does look to be lacking. The Angels always seem to find a way to be in the thick of things. And Texas looks to be improved.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)

Makes you wonder why they traded Brandon Morrow away? I'm sure they know something nobody else does, but seems like he could of step in the rotation nicely.

Aussie Ryan Rowland-Smith stepped in nicely for them last year, but his splits suggest hes more of a product of the spacious ballpark, and probably the defense as well

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
After looking at their projected everyday lineup, you definitely have a point. I guess many (including myself) are mesmerized by the 1-2 punch of Hernandez/Lee (could be a formidable trio if Bedard is healthy) and their overall team defense. But the offense does look to be lacking. The Angels always seem to find a way to be in the thick of things. And Texas looks to be improved.

I agree that Hernandez and Lee are an awesome 1-2 punch, but if you're offense sucks then they make bad pitchers look like Hernandez and Lee. See: Chicago White Sox 2009 vs. Adam Eaton

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Makes you wonder why they traded Brandon Morrow away? I'm sure they know something nobody else does, but seems like he could of step in the rotation nicely.

Aussie Ryan Rowland-Smith stepped in nicely for them last year, but his splits suggest hes more of a product of the spacious ballpark, and probably the defense as well

Rowland-Smith has been a decent road pitcher for his career, what with a 4.25 ERA in like 100 innings. If he's healthy, he's a solid 3 or 4.