Viciedo at 1b?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
Really? You'd have a problem with him turning into a 1b?

I was going to ask this question also. Why is this a problem? If he can contribute offensively and can field the ball I am happy to have him fill that spot. I guess 1B is not as sexy as 3B? :huh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
How would this shock anyone? Watching ST last year it was apparent this kid had no future at 3B. We'll have an opening at 1B, and if his bat is as legit as it's been made out to be, that'll be fine and dandy.

Not shocking at all. I told you guys last summer that the sox had decided he wasnt going to play 3b and most people here said it was premature.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Not shocking at all. I told you guys last summer that the sox had decided he wasnt going to play 3b and most people here said it was premature.

I bet they would have kept him there had the Teahen trade never happened.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
I bet they would have kept him there had the Teahen trade never happened.

No. You don't move a 21 year old power hitting 3b off the position for a 28 yr old journeyman. It had nothing to do with Teahan. They decided DV can't play defense there.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
No. You don't move a 21 year old power hitting 3b off the position for a 28 yr old journeyman. It had nothing to do with Teahan. They decided DV can't play defense there.

No doubt. If he can't play the position there is no reason to keep him there, just because his perceived value would be higher. His value is his bat. That's what needs to get developed. He had a lot to adjust to last year.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
I still think he will end up in RF. I mean it makes too much sense especially for his cannon of an arm, not to mention we are very weak in RF prospects. Hell even LF I can end up seeing. (Pierre is here for two years, which I'll almost bank that is how long it might take for 20 year old Viciedo to develop in AAA, not to mention if Q is still around as the future RF) I don't think I want a 5'11 (I remember JPN saying he's actually shorter than that like 5'9-5'10) guy manning that position. (especially with errant throws to 1B.. would save alot of errors having a taller 1B there even if his D isn't that great)

I wish you are the Sox top scout and decision making. I agree with you. They need to stop BS with Viciedo and send him to RF.

Another exciting and promising offseason in Camp Cora. :lolhitting

Last year it was more of the same. Fields is history. Viciedo was a colander in AA. I forgot who else trained with Cora.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
I wish you are the Sox top scout and decision making. I agree with you. They need to stop BS with Viciedo and send him to RF.

Last year it was more of the same. Fields is history. Viciedo was a colander in AA. I forgot who else trained with Cora.

So you think he should be a RF?

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)

A turd by any other name, is still a turd.

I think the idea about Viciedo playing 1B is simply due to his size...he's not the most mobile guy in the world, I'd have to watch him playing LF or RF for 10 games to see if he's more limited than JD in terms of range.

As far as the height thing goes, it would be nice to have a 1B with a strong arm, but it's not integral. Sure, you'd rather have the tall, rangy, LH type at that position, because even if he has the ability to leap in the air (vertical has to better than Paulie), usually those plays are beaten out by fast or average runners at the major league level.

There's also the possibility they bring in another hitter like Tejada or Blalock for 3B and shift Teahen to the super-utility role where he could play 3B, 1B, RF, LF and DH some. Although that idea replicates the value of Kotsay, in that the only difference is Kotsay couldn't play 3B.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
I think the idea about Viciedo playing 1B is simply due to his size...he's not the most mobile guy in the world, I'd have to watch him playing LF or RF for 10 games to see if he's more limited than JD in terms of range.

As far as the height thing goes, it would be nice to have a 1B with a strong arm, but it's not integral. Sure, you'd rather have the tall, rangy, LH type at that position, because even if he has the ability to leap in the air (vertical has to better than Paulie), usually those plays are beaten out by fast or average runners at the major league level.

There's also the possibility they bring in another hitter like Tejada or Blalock for 3B and shift Teahen to the super-utility role where he could play 3B, 1B, RF, LF and DH some. Although that idea replicates the value of Kotsay, in that the only difference is Kotsay couldn't play 3B.

Williams has stated that Teahen is the starting 3Bman.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
Williams has stated that Teahen is the starting 3Bman.

As he should be, even if a Tejada or a Blalock is brought in. I kinda like the idea of Blalock more and more with time because he can be a backup IF in addition to being a regular DH, but unless a deal is conducted that brings us another, better 3b, Teahen should start there.

I for one am optimistic that DV will have a good ST and benefit from playing in the hitting friendly park at Charlotte, but whether he would be MLB ready after a year in AAA is still to be seen. ANyone know how he is doing at Camp Cora?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:08 AM)

I think you bring a "journeyman" like Teahen in when you realize your "20 yr old power hitting 3B" can't actually play 3B. So yes, he wasn't moved because of Teahen but Teahen was brought in because of him.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)

You'd have to think Getz was there as he meets all the necessary criteria:

1) Young infielder

2) No real impact from training carrying over to season

3) Gets traded

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
I think you bring a "journeyman" like Teahen in when you realize your "20 yr old power hitting 3B" can't actually play 3B. So yes, he wasn't moved because of Teahen but Teahen was brought in because of him.

Or maybe Kenny simply loves Mark Teahen, because Kenny committed to him for 3 years when he didn't have to go beyond 1. This also seemingly pushes Brent Morel out of the picture - maybe he can't play, either? And besides, I doubt Viciedo was Wilson Betemit at third this year, plus he's 20 and was in his first American season, so it's not like he can never be expected to improve. And even more, Kenny put Fields out there last season who has never been what you'd call brilliant either, and it was Fields' bat that got him sent down, not his glove.

I think it's as simple as Kenny having a hardon for Mark Teahen the same way he has had a hardon for Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones, and Omar Vizquel all these years. Now we have them all. I bet he won't even have to use his hands to drive the golf cart around camp this year.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
Or maybe Kenny simply loves Mark Teahen, because Kenny committed to him for 3 years when he didn't have to go beyond 1. This also seemingly pushes Brent Morel out of the picture - maybe he can't play, either? And besides, I doubt Viciedo was Wilson Betemit at third this year, plus he's 20 and was in his first American season, so it's not like he can never be expected to improve. And even more, Kenny put Fields out there last season who has never been what you'd call brilliant either, and it was Fields' bat that got him sent down, not his glove.

I think it's as simple as Kenny having a hardon for Mark Teahen the same way he has had a hardon for Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones, and Omar Vizquel all these years. Now we have them all. I bet he won't even have to use his hands to drive the golf cart around camp this year.

Morel just finished at high A this year. In a normal progression a year at AA and a year at AAA isn't even odd. If Morel is legit, he would be pushed back a year, at worst. Or at that point, you can either split the two of them or dump Teahen.

Teahen does absolutely nothing to effect Morel, who has probably 2 more years in the minors before he is ready anyway.

Teahen was needed because the Sox felt he'd be an upgrade over Getz - that is effectively the switch that occurred. And they could get Teahen for a couple years, while guys like Viciedo and Morel shake out - then we can see where things stand.

Its not about a hard-on, its about improving the team in the short run, which KW did pretty well in this case.

You guys could be right, but if Morel has a strong season at Birmingham this season then I think he's in the Majors at some point in 2011. Teahen runs through 2012. I think Morel is getting traded anyway though.

I guess my point was that the Teahen move wasn't just about Viciedo, and it was a lot more about Teahen himself than is being suggested. You don't commit 3 years to a stopgap when there's no reason to unless you really like what you're getting.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
You guys could be right, but if Morel has a strong season at Birmingham this season then I think he's in the Majors at some point in 2011. Teahen runs through 2012. I think Morel is getting traded anyway though.

I guess my point was that the Teahen move wasn't just about Viciedo, and it was a lot more about Teahen himself than is being suggested. You don't commit 3 years to a stopgap when there's no reason to unless you really like what you're getting.

I think you see this far too narrowly. Yes, Teahen fills a gap. But he also improves the infield NOW, which is key. And he's also a bet that KW is willing to make, that he MIGHT turn into the player his potential seemed to dictate. If he does, then you have a good problem. If not, Morel and maybe Viciedo are behind him. Basically, KW did what he always seems to do - gave himself options.