Soda, Pop, whatever

Texsox

Pepsi to Use Real Sugar in 'Pepsi Throwback' and 'Mountain Dew Throwback' in April

Starting April 20, Pepsi will sell cans of Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback, which will be made with real sugar instead of HFCS. According to an email exchange today with Pepsi-Cola rep Nicole Bradley (inspired by Serious Eaters' questions): "Both products will be offered at the same price as regular Pepsi and regular Mountain Dew." The drinks will only be available until June 13.

Around the same time, Coca-Cola usually rolls out limited-edition Kosher for Passover Coke, also made with real sugar since observant Jews cannot have corn products, hence no HFCS. Many non-Jews celebrate the product as well, believing the sugar version is superior (whether for taste or health reasons).

Given a choice, I buy the made in Mexico cola product made with cane sugar. I just prefer the taste. There are a number of stores down here that carry it. Cool that Pepsi is giving it a try here in the USA

I posted this in the drunk thread the other day when Baconator was talking about rum and Cokes. There is just no comparison between the real cane versions and the corn syrup, and nowhere is that more apparent than in a nice Cuba Libre.

I used to be able to get sugar can Coke at the Latino grocers around here, but no luck in recent years. I never knew about the Kosher Coke, so I'll have to be on the lookout for it and stock up if I find it. I'd much rather go the purist route and use Coke over Pepsi in a Cuba Libre, but cane sugar trumps corn syrup no mater what brand it is.

I can get Dublin Dr. Pepper here in TX that is made with real cane sugar. It is my favorite soda, hands down. Unfortunately it is > $1/bottle. I tried Pepsi's soda with real sugar, and it was slightly better than normal Pepsi. The aftertaste was sweeter. Maybe if it were packaged in glass bottles it would be on the same level as Dublin Dr. Pepper, the aluminum can must alter the flavor

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 02:10 AM)
Yeah, I'd be much happier if they had it permanently.

I thought this had already started happening, I saw bottles of Pepsi and Mountain throwback at Jewel the other day.

Yes, I started seeing throwback Pepsi products here right after Christmas. And here I sit on my New Years diet trying to swear off sugary drinks for a while.

:crying

There is really no comparison, cane sugar based sodas are above and beyond better than HFCS ones. Unfortunately, HFCS sodas are cheaper to make, therefore, thats the crap we get.

The sugar cane versions of Mt. Dew and Pepsi are available here already as well.

Where are you, Vanilla Coke Zero? I miss thee so much.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 02:21 AM)
Am I the only one who remembers this going on in the summer? Or has my life been a lie for the last 6 months?

No, you're not. Every time a company does this promotion they're finding its successful at boosting sales, so they keep doing it and they're starting to do it more often. But just like everything that increases costs, they're loathe to do it full-time.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
There is really no comparison, cane sugar based sodas are above and beyond better than HFCS ones. Unfortunately, HFCS sodas are cheaper to make, therefore, thats the crap we get.

Slight edit; the HFCS sodas are heavily subsidized by the government and are therefore cheaper to make to the company.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)

Given a choice, I buy the made in Mexico cola product made with cane sugar. I just prefer the taste. There are a number of stores down here that carry it. Cool that Pepsi is giving it a try here in the USA

I buy that as well. There is a mexican fast food place by my house that sells it in glass bottles. So good.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
Also, just to cause problems... RC>Coke>Pepsi.

Just within the past couple months I have become more of a RC fan. I am drinking a Dr. Pepper right now, and would probably place it ahead of those three.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Sugar and glass - best.

HFCS and plastic - worst.

Also, just to cause problems... RC>Coke>Pepsi.

:notworthy

And RC is cheaper. My wife bought RC for a party we were having and she was like, I got RC because it was on sale...hope thats ok. I'm like ok??? RC is the bomb and I would put their product against any of em. Love me some RC, although I don't drink pop much anymore.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
:notworthy

And RC is cheaper. My wife bought RC for a party we were having and she was like, I got RC because it was on sale...hope thats ok. I'm like ok??? RC is the bomb and I would put their product against any of em. Love me some RC, although I don't drink pop much anymore.

I like their Green River and the flavored drinks, but Coca Cola Classic is king.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
I like their Green River and the flavored drinks, but Coca Cola Classic is king.

I beg your pardon? RC takes a back seat to no cola! People love RC. It should be at every restaurant along with water and beer. Anytime anyone says, "Oh, this pop is so good. What kind is it?" The answer invariably comes back, "RC!." RC! Again and again. Lesser cola? I think not."

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
I beg your pardon? RC takes a back seat to no cola! People love RC. It should be at every restaurant along with water and beer. Anytime anyone says, "Oh, this pop is so good. What kind is it?" The answer invariably comes back, "RC!." RC! Again and again. Lesser cola? I think not."

That's Gold, Jerry. GOLD!

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)

Its much cheaper for bars to carry RC products and when I have worked at ones that did, we always ended up switching to coke products because of the complaints of RC and Diet Rite specifically.