Artie Lange...what happened?

tonyho7476

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
This doesnt surprise me in the least. I've had him on my OD/Suicide list for a long time.

I've always thougt his end would not be pretty...but to stab yourself is pretty f'd up. Plunging a knife into yourself 9 times, 3 times deeply, is pretty f'd up. You have to be in a dark place to put yourself through that kind of pain.

This was some pretty heartbreaking news. Artie isn't the funniest comedian around, but from the nine years I have listened to him on THSS he seems like he has a really big heart. Artie may be compensating for his demons, but I can't even remember the amount of times he has given people money or loaned it to them etc ...

This news, however, shouldn't surprise anyone. Artie has been battling his heroin addiction since he was filming Beer League (moderately funny, not horrible btw) and he has never taken the time to properly address the problem. His attempts at sobriety included, a trip to a SPA where he could "dry out," and hiring a retired cop to spend 24 hours a day with him to keep him out of trouble.

In an odd way, this attempted suicide may end up saving his life. I can't imagine that either SIRIUSXM or Howard allowing Artie to return to work anytime soon. He may have no choice but to commit himself somewhere and actually get his act together the right way.

I think the show will miss him, but I hope he gets help. Artie is still a relatively young man (early 40's) and he still has many more stories to tell.

Before this incident, on the surface it may have looked like things were turning around for Artie. He was seeing a therapist, got back on depression medication (although he may have been stretching the truth on these two), becoming more involved with his young and beautiful girlfriend, and cancelled all his gigs for 2010 which caused him so much stress. But I could tell something was off. His body was in the studio, but it felt like nobody was home. I hope he can somehow rid himself of the misery and continue, I'll miss him being on the show

Dear God...

NJ police say self-inflicted stab wounds put Stern sidekick Artie Lange in hospital

Associated Press

Last update: January 8, 2010 - 10:17 AM

HOBOKEN, N.J. - Police say self-inflicted stab wounds put Howard Stern sidekick Artie Lange in a New Jersey hospital.

Hoboken Police Detective Mark Competello says Lange's mother found him on the floor of his waterfront home on Saturday.

Competello says the 42-year-old comedian was unconscious but breathing after stabbing himself with a 13-inch Wolfgang Puck kitchen knife.

Lange was taken to Jersey City Medical Center. Competello says doctors cleaned nine abdominal knife wounds and operated. He says Lange has been released.

A message was left for Lange's publicist. Stern has spoken of the suicide attempt and said his thoughts are with Lange's mother and sister.

Lange's lost driving privileges after admitting he was under the influence of sleeping pills in a minor traffic accident.