2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 6, 2010 -> 03:31 AM)
Sad that we can't get him, sad that Boras is representing more and more guys, or sad that we don't sign Boras guys?

I can see not wanting to deal with free agents represented by Boras. Not so much draft picks. But I don't expect AR to make it to #13 anyway.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless orgs are scared of his injury concerns (he's scaring me alot with his delivery and his shoulder/elbow issues, and I'm not even a scout, but I would still take him even if he turns into the injury-prone Mark Prior later on, or gets TJ ala Nevin Griffith) or like a couple people here said, signability issues (ala Rick Porcello which I could see as well), we would be very fortunate to see him at #13, but not "lucky" per say. I've been through this whole draft process alot now to realize alot of these prospects drop, and some I (and others on their personal guys) was convinced would be picked alot higher, were not in prior drafts. I would not be surprised to see a guy (say Matt Harvey for example) who was a consensus top 15 pick, to fall to the late first/early second.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
Could people be expecting him to drop because of his representation?

It could, but I think the Boras effect is overstated for players like Ranaudo. High profile high schoolers, sure, but Ranaudo doesn't have a huge amount of leverage.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
I thought Kenny and Boras kissed and made up over the winter (during the Damon discussions).

And besides he owes us one for giving Andruw Jones a shot at regular playing time.

Hell, if anything he owes us. He was done. Ozzie saved his ass.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 2, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
Mike Stanton having a season for the ages (and it's only May 2). .354/.505/.866/1.370. What's most impressive is the 25/24 BB/K ratio. Hard to believe this guy was a second rounder. And you know we'd never be able to identify a super talent like this (I know, I know. Other teams passed on him too). Just saying that the crock of s*** that was "well, the Sox haven't had a top 10 pick since 1990" is exactly that...a crock of s***. Another guy that's been making a mockery of AA is Tanner Scheppers. Small sample size (11 innings). But the numbers are beyond filthy: 11 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 19 K, .079 BAA. We're too busy drafting the Josh Phegley's of the world 6 picks earlier.

Stanton currently at .340/.477/.840/1.317, 14 HR 31 RBI, 26:31 BB:K

Rumor is the Marlins could call him up before the end of May. Apparently they are worried about him becoming Super 2 eligible though. But, they almost always call their top prospects up directly from AA so we'll see.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Will Ferrell took the mound for the Round Rock express in Texas yesterday. He was ejected after 1 pitch.

Gotta love Ferrell... That would have been an awesome surprise if you were at that game.

Edited by dasox24

Morel by a lot. He is above average at 3rd while Gilmore is probably not going to stick at the position. Plus Morel has shown more power. If Gilmore can improve his defense to stay at 3rd and develop some power it might be close. Neither are out of the question, but I didn't hesitate to take Morel.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 9, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
Morel by a lot. He is above average at 3rd while Gilmore is probably not going to stick at the position. Plus Morel has shown more power. If Gilmore can improve his defense to stay at 3rd and develop some power it might be close. Neither are out of the question, but I didn't hesitate to take Morel.

Absolutely. Morel could probably develop into a league average 3Bman at some point in time, whereas Gilmore is completely boom or bust when it comes to his all around game at 3B.

RHP Justin Cassel to the DL, RHP Deunte Heath added to Barons roster, Alejandro De Aza to the DL, no one has taken the open roster spot in Charlotte. Kannapolis has an open roster spot as well.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 10, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
RHP Justin Cassel to the DL, RHP Deunte Heath added to Barons roster, Alejandro De Aza to the DL, no one has taken the open roster spot in Charlotte. Kannapolis has an open roster spot as well.

Might be Shelby moving up, if De Aza is going to be out for any length of time.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/ar...b&fext=.jsp

Daniel Hudson article

Chris Carter article (hit 2 three run homers Sunday)

Well, at least we proved we could draft a hitter in the 15th round and turn him into a Top 40 prospect down the line...that's something to be said for the scouting department, finding Brandon Allen and Carter in lower rounds.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Actually I take that back, more likely to be Coats.

Josh Anderson was released a few days ago, he was playing for the Reds AAA team.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)

Daniel Hudson article

Chris Carter article (hit 2 three run homers Sunday)

Well, at least we proved we could draft a hitter in the 15th round and turn him into a Top 40 prospect down the line...that's something to be said for the scouting department, finding Brandon Allen and Carter in lower rounds.

Wasn't Allen in the forth or fifth round?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 10, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
So, are Gilmore & Short legit prospects now?

Gilmore always was, he's young and talented, just inconsistent. Short might be marginal, but he's also still quite young, so he's looking good, and I would guess you will see him start to show up on Top 25 lists now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)
Gilmore always was, he's young and talented, just inconsistent. Short might be marginal, but he's also still quite young, so he's looking good, and I would guess you will see him start to show up on Top 25 lists now.

Gilmore is a high ceiling, low percentage of working out guy from what I understand.

Question for JPN--what's Andy Tomberlin's reputation as hitting coach at Birmingham? I'm looking at Gary Ward at Charlotte, and if Walker finally gets the boot, I'm wondering if Tomberlin is in the mix.