2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 06:57 AM)
FWIW, many people seem to believe that Wilson's demands won't be all that ridiculous and he's very inclined to sign.

It seems like it depends on who you ask. A lot of people think he'll be a tough sign, others say he won't. It will be interesting to see what happens. A lot of teams though Trayce was going to be a tough sign, but it turned out the Sox had a good info that he would be willing to sign for a reasonable amount and were able to grab him. He's still incredibly raw, but we can't deny the talent.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 18, 2010 -> 07:09 AM)
If they go with a pitcher, then it sounds like Alex Wimmers is their guy. He's a very safe pick. Projects to go mid to late 1st round, with #3 starter kind of stuff (so he'll be on the board when the Sox pick). Low 90s fastball, nice curve, and decent change-up. He's pitched well for Ohio State this year.

I have very little interest in Wimmers. If we draft a guy I want a big arm guy or someone with plus plus breaking stuff. We should be able to get that where we pick.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
If they go with a pitcher, then it sounds like Alex Wimmers is their guy. He's a very safe pick. Projects to go mid to late 1st round, with #3 starter kind of stuff (so he'll be on the board when the Sox pick). Low 90s fastball, nice curve, and decent change-up. He's pitched well for Ohio State this year.

I keep coming back to Wimmers as well. I'm not the biggest fan, but yes he has a nice 2 seam and a good curveball.

I'm going to keep hoping that one of Ranaudo/McGuire fall to 13.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
I have very little interest in Wimmers. If we draft a guy I want a big arm guy or someone with plus plus breaking stuff. We should be able to get that where we pick.

Ill be pretty upset about Wimmers, I thought the Wsox would have figured out by now the "safe pick" is definitely not the way to go anymore.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 07:12 AM)
I keep coming back to Wimmers as well. I'm not the biggest fan, but yes he has a nice 2 seam and a good curveball.

I'm going to keep hoping that one of Ranaudo/McGuire fall to 13.

Ranaudo's stock is falling.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Ranaudo's stock is falling.

I'm well aware. Mayo wrote a piece about it yesterday in fact.

http://minors.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/05...ng_on_with.html

He could be a high risk high return guy at 13. Kind of similar to how Gibson fell to Minny with his injury concerns. Not sure how much he is seeking and if the Sox would be willing to work with Boras though. I don't think he has the most leverage, especially with his injury concerns of late.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 07:19 AM)
I'm well aware. Mayo wrote a piece about it yesterday in fact.

http://minors.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/05...ng_on_with.html

He could be a high risk high return guy at 13. Kind of similar to how Gibson fell to Minny with his injury concerns. Not sure how much he is seeking and if the Sox would be willing to work with Boras though.

A lot of the college baseball people are really intrigued by how much LSU's rotation is falling apart because it was pretty hyped. They say Ranaudo's stuff is still there and a few people think it has to do with him mentally feeling a bit of the preseason pressure. That of course isn't a good thing, but as long as he learns from it I don't see it as being much different from a player feeling pressure because it is a contract year or because he's in trade rumors.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 18, 2010 -> 07:29 AM)
Brentz was actuallly a much bigger prospect a few years ago. He's fallen off a bit, but his upside is a lot bigger then his current numbers show. That being said, i'd still take Wilson over him.

A year ago I believe, which was his sophmore season where he was a complete monster. He's had some injuries this year but he's a very talented kid.

A guy I happen to like, if we go the college pitcher route, is Matt Harvey.

Another guy I like a lot and who could fit in nicely as a potential top of the order hitter for the Sox is Gary Brown. He's a phenomenal athlete (very fast, great defensively) and has a real nice short stroke. He won't hit for much, if any power though, but he's projected to go late 1st to the early 2nd. Broke his finger so who knows if that impacts his draft stock. He had been climbing up draft boards.

Nice fit, imo. I still like Paxton if we opt for a lefty and than of course I like Ranaudo a lot. Big arm, nice build, and I'm willing to take the gamble.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
Brentz was actuallly a much bigger prospect a few years ago. He's fallen off a bit, but his upside is a lot bigger then his current numbers show. That being said, i'd still take Wilson over him.

I'm kind of bullish on Brentz now. I'm not sure I would like him at 13. I would have liked to see similar numbers to what he did in 2009, especially considering the subpar competition he faces.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
I'm kind of bullish on Brentz now. I'm not sure I would like him at 13. I would have liked to see similar numbers to what he did in 2009, especially considering the subpar competition he faces.

It is safe to say that the ankle injury can be expected to hinder his performance though. I've read that he's been playing a decent chunk of the season at 75 to 80%. He won't be the player of the year but he'll be in consideration for college player of the year (not that that has any impact on being a great draft pick or not).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
A guy I happen to like, if we go the college pitcher route, is Matt Harvey.

Another guy I like a lot and who could fit in nicely as a potential top of the order hitter for the Sox is Gary Brown. He's a phenomenal athlete (very fast, great defensively) and has a real nice short stroke. He won't hit for much, if any power though, but he's projected to go late 1st to the early 2nd. Broke his finger so who knows if that impacts his draft stock. He had been climbing up draft boards.

Nice fit, imo. I still like Paxton if we opt for a lefty and than of course I like Ranaudo a lot. Big arm, nice build, and I'm willing to take the gamble.

Isn't Harvey a Boras client?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Brandon Workman is another guy who I wouldn't be surprised to hear the Sox interested in. RHP out of Texas with good movement on a low 90's fastball with a big spike curve.

You mentioned Harvey who I also like. Big arm, decent breaking stuff, lots of ground balls. I could get on board with him at 13.

I've seen Workman pitch a few times and I've been relatively impressed. The curve-ball can be rather good. I think he's been passed up by better talent lately though from what I've read. Many publications see him as a late 1st to supplemental rounder.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
I'm interested in seeing what the (over)reaction will be here if (when?) we draft Ozney Guillen in an early round

Isn't he actually a legitimate prospect? I haven't been able to find much, if any scouting information on him.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
Isn't he actually a legitimate prospect? I haven't been able to find much, if any scouting information on him.

Yeah he was first team all state this year, signed with South Florida, plays multiple positions. There isnt much about him out there but I remember someone saying he actually was legitimate and could go as high as the 2nd round. It'll just be interesting to me if the Sox do draft him what the reaction here would be.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
Yeah he was first team all state this year, signed with South Florida, plays multiple positions. There isnt much about him out there but I remember someone saying he actually was legitimate and could go as high as the 2nd round. It'll just be interesting to me if the Sox do draft him what the reaction here would be.

I'd be fine with it. It sounds like he can actually play and we really need middle-infield depth.

Q: What have you missed about being in high school?

A: I have not missed one thing at all. I really haven't. I didn't really have any friends in high school because I was about baseball. That's all I was about. Everyone else, they were about partying and all that kind of stuff. I stayed away from all that. I was pretty much a homebody. Go to school, go to baseball, go to the gym and come home. And eat a great home-cooked meal by my mom. That was my day. Then Sundays I'd go to church.

Above is a quote from a Bryce Harper chat. I don't know why, but this would just scare the hell out of me. This guy is bound to explode. We know he has baseball talent, but man you can't just live your life like that. Eventually there is a good chance you'll snap.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Forum needs a dedicated draft thread imo.

They usually have one for the actual draft itself (in fact 2 of them 1 for rounds 1-4 and the other for rounds 5-on), but that wouldn't be a bad idea.