2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Drew O'Neil was released, Santos Rodriguez was activated off the DL.

Wow, they cut O'Neill completely? 4th round pick just two years ago. I know his peripherals have been really disappointing, but I'm still shocked they would just give up that quickly on him.

Man.. that was a nice way of saying he was a terrible pick. I've never been a fan of drafting relievers in the first 5 rounds (hell even 10 and you wouldn't hear me complaining) in the draft. Always thought that was suicide to a scouts' career unless the guy better be the next Eckersley/Rivera/steroid up Gagne. Most pitchers drafted become relievers anyway when they might fail as a starting pitcher later on.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Man.. that was a nice way of saying he was a terrible pick. I've never been a fan of drafting relievers in the first 5 rounds (hell even 10 and you wouldn't hear me complaining) in the draft. Always thought that was suicide to a scouts' career unless the guy better be the next Tankersley/Rivera/steroid up Gagne. Most pitchers drafted become relievers anyway when they might fail as a starting pitcher later on.

Tankersley? What am I missing here?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Ozzie, you've never heard of Dennis Tankersley? Great reliever for the A's? He was on the teams with the bash brothers, Mark Miller and Jose Cantu.

Naw I caught it. I spelled Eck's name wrong.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Naw I caught it. I spelled Eck's name wrong.

That's more like it. I was thinking it was odd that you'd have Taylor Tankerlsey (or Dennis) as one of your go to elite reliever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
I find it funnier that Ace brought up those 3 when looking at relievers you should draft (because most failed starters becomes relievers) yet all 3 were failed starters.

The winding circle of a pitcher, though you are really cherry picking 10 starts in a rookie year for Rivera. And Eckersley was not a failed starter.

Next time though, I'll just say/add Hoffman and Wagner to the other guys mentioned who have never started in the bigs to prove my point. (though it should of been well taken... god damn Blake...)

Edited by J.Reedfan8

Kyle Shelton was promoted to Charlotte from Winston-Salem. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that Jordan Danks hasn't played in a week, but I know that Charlotte's roster was full at 24 active players before the addition of Shelton. So, a roster spot had to be cleared. Danks to the DL maybe?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
Kyle Shelton was promoted to Charlotte from Winston-Salem. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that Jordan Danks hasn't played in a week, but I know that Charlotte's roster was full at 24 active players before the addition of Shelton. So, a roster spot had to be cleared. Danks to the DL maybe?

Jeez, the injuries just keep coming.

Okay, so Greg Aquino and probably Jordan Danks have hit the DL for Charlotte. Angel Garcia was moved up to Charlotte from B'ham, Kyle Shelton was moved up to Charlotte from W-S, Ricky Brooks appears as if he'll be activated from the Barons DL soon to take Garcia's spot. Santos Rodriguez is back on the DL for W-S, Matt Wickswat and Brandon Kloess were moved up to W-S from Kanny. Pat Schatz was moved up to Kanny from Bristol. If anybody can confirm Danks to the DL, that would help, I've tried to no avail.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Does anyone know the details pertaining to Zach Kayne's retirement from pro ball today?!?!?!

Nothing yet.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20100725/APS/1007250774

Weird that this was a writeup just 20 days ago. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/0...timidators.html

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)

This just blows my mind! Chase roomed with Kayne for part of spring training ..I, nor Chase, ever saw this one coming!! I'm really curious as to what led him to make this decision.

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
This just blows my mind! Chase roomed with Kayne for part of spring training ..I, nor Chase, ever saw this one coming!! I'm really curious as to what led him to make this decision.

Playing time?