2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
I honestly thought you were gonna jizz when you saw this since your a big fan of his for some reason. You disappoint me Joe. :P

I'm sorry. :(

But yeah, Arroyo doesn't make me jizz like Morel yet. He is probably my #3 guy under Morel and Wilkins. This post reeks of homo, tbh.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
So Mark Gonzales just tweeted that Mitchell's going to the Arizona Fall League, does that mean he's made a faster recovery than expected?

Yes it does, although I think it's been rumored here for at least some time that he was enough ahead of schedule that the AFL would be an option barring setbacks.

Charles Leesman continues to be one of the weirdest pitchers in our system. He pitched in High-A earlier in the year, pitched AWFUL. I am talking an ERA over 5, a WHIP of almost 1.50, and more walks than K's (44 BB to 39 K). Somehow he gets a promotion to AA Birmingham, and he has dominated. Makes no sense, but I have heard that our AA pitching coach is very good and there is thoughts we promoted him simple to see if our AA can fix him. Apparently, he did....

58 IP, 42 H, 1 HR, 19 BB, 45 K. 2.81 ERA.

He has cut his ERA by about 40%, his H/9 about 25%, his HRs by like 60%, his BB/9 by about 40%, and increased his K/9 by about 50%. Pretty cool, and at 23 years old in AA, he is right where he should be.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
Makes no sense, but I have heard that our AA pitching coach is very good and there is thoughts we promoted him simple to see if our AA can fix him.

Considering he is in the AFL, I'd bet the promotion was so he could be in that. Each team is allowed only one player below AA level and that spot is obviously going to Jared Mitchell.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
Considering he is in the AFL, I'd bet the promotion was so he could be in that. Each team is allowed only one player below AA level and that spot is obviously going to Jared Mitchell.

Yea, but it's not like Leesman was just promoted to AA this week. He has been there for over a month, and has been fantastic.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
Yea, but it's not like Leesman was just promoted to AA this week. He has been there for over a month, and has been fantastic.

There is another possible reason, and I think people sometimes forget this. You often see players in the minors have sudden changes in their numbers, and I don't just means streaks, but funadmental changes in their peripherals. At least some of the time, it is going to be coaches working with players on certain things. In other words, they may not necessarily be going out there to pitch the best game possible - they may be going out there to throw nothing but sliders, or using a slightly changed motion, etc. Leesman may have been doing something like that in W-S, and when they saw that he figured out whatever they wanted him to, it was time for prime time.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
Eduardo Escobar, Justin Greene, Brandon Short and Jon Gilmore were named Carolina League postseason all-stars. Joe McEwing was named Manager of the Year for second straight year.

Just realized that Drew Lee was a postseason all-star in the Appy League from Bristol and that was it for the White Sox organization. Knights, Barons, Intimidators shut out. Great Falls probably will have some when the Pioneer League announces, but that's pretty bad.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
Just realized that Drew Lee was a postseason all-star in the Appy League from Bristol and that was it for the White Sox organization. Knights, Barons, Intimidators shut out. Great Falls probably will have some when the Pioneer League announces, but that's pretty bad.

From Great Falls, C Michael Blanke and 3B Andy Wilkins selected to the Pioneer Leauge all-star team along with head coach Cris Cron.

Edited by gfbaseball

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about who would likely be in B-Ham in 2011 on Opening Day, and it seems like a really solid team to me. My best guesses for who would be there...

C: Phegley

1B: Loman

2B: ???

SS: Escobar (I'd guess he starts back there again)

3B: Gilmore

OF: Mitchell

OF: Short

OF: Greene

OF: Williams

(with one of the 4 OF's rotating to DH each game probably)

SP: Leesman (if he goes to Charlotte, then pencil in Edwards here maybe)

SP: Shirek (repeats after injury-plagued season)

SP: Axelrod

SP: Sauer

SP: Doyle

(I'm guessing Griffith and Serafin stay behind and repeat A+, and Leesman may or may not go to Charlotte)

RP: Jones (I'm guessing he goes back to relief)

RP: Bellamy

RP: Remenowsky

RP: Rodriguez

RP: Corley

That looks like a fun team to watch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 06:57 AM)
I was thinking about who would likely be in B-Ham in 2011 on Opening Day, and it seems like a really solid team to me. My best guesses for who would be there...

C: Phegley

1B: Loman

2B: ???

SS: Escobar (I'd guess he starts back there again)

3B: Gilmore

OF: Mitchell

OF: Short

OF: Greene

OF: Williams

(with one of the 4 OF's rotating to DH each game probably)

SP: Leesman (if he goes to Charlotte, then pencil in Edwards here maybe)

SP: Shirek (repeats after injury-plagued season)

SP: Axelrod

SP: Sauer

SP: Doyle

(I'm guessing Griffith and Serafin stay behind and repeat A+, and Leesman may or may not go to Charlotte)

RP: Jones (I'm guessing he goes back to relief)

RP: Bellamy

RP: Remenowsky

RP: Rodriguez

RP: Corley

That looks like a fun team to watch.

The way they do things is so unpredictable that the team may not look anything like this at all! I can't wait to see how many of them you predicted correctly, though!!

I think they'll probably give Retherford one more shot and start him at 2B. He was solid at every level up til this year... and had a decent showing in the AFL.

Andrew Garcia and Dale Mollenhauer don't appear to be more than organizational filler.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
I think they'll probably give Retherford one more shot and start him at 2B. He was solid at every level up til this year... and had a decent showing in the AFL.

Andrew Garcia and Dale Mollenhauer don't appear to be more than organizational filler.

I assume Retherford will be playing 2B in Charlotte. Mollenhauer/Garcia probably gets the AA slot, one or the other, because there just isn't much in the way of 2B prospects in the system right now (unless CJ puts it back together, or Saladino moves to second).