2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
Please do, it should prompt some nice discussion.

No kidding, the depth chart at catcher in the organization is totally confounding. I think I could even project the NRI list.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
I'm thinking big board update soon.

I'll work on it starting Monday. I should have something ready by Tuesday at the latest.

Edited by JPN366

These are from baseball america yesterday

Nevin Griffith, rhp, White Sox

Born: March 23, 1989. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 210. Drafted.: HS—Tampa, 2007 (2nd round). Signed by: Scott Bikowski/Warren Hughes.

The clock is ticking loudly for Griffin, who has throw just 162 innings since the White Sox drafted him 89th overall in 2007. He missed almost all of 2008 with an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery, which kept him sidelined until the second half of 2009. Last year, he got off to a solid start at high Class A Winston-Salem but didn't pitch after June 10 after injuring his back. When he's healthy and at his best, Griffith combined a 92-95 mph fastball with a swing-and-miss curveball. His curve lacks consistency and flattens out at times, and his changeup is less reliable. Griffith's biggest need is to stay healthy, but he's also going to have to refine his secondary pitches and improve his command. He has damaged his credibility with the White Sox, with some club officials questioning his toughness. He'll head back to Winston-Salem this year.

Drew Lee, 2b/ss, White Sox

Born: March 22, 1988. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 5-11. Wt.: 185. Drafted.: Morehead State, 2010 (12th round). Signed by: Phil Gulley.

Many scouts considered Lee a metal-bat creation—until he got a wood bat in his hands. The all-time leader in hits and RBIs at Morehead State, he hit .413 as a junior and .412 as a senior before the White Sox drafted him in the 12th round last June and signed him for $5,000. He batted .324 in his first month in pro ball before tiring late and finishing at .282. He earned all-star honors in the Rookie-level Appalachian League and topped the circuit with 24 doubles, showing enough at the plate to suggest Chicago may have found a bargain. Lee is still growing into his body and wouldn't stand out at a showcase, but he knows how to hit and play the game. A switch-hitter, he has a compact swing that looks similar from both sides of the plate. He's a smart hitter with surprising pop for his size. Most of his power comes from the left side of the plate. Lee played mostly shortstop in college but has a second baseman's arm and spent most of his time as a pro at the keystone. He has the tools to be a solid defender there, with the ability to fill in at short. He's a good baserunner, though he has just average speed. Whether Lee becomes a regular or utility infielder will depend on how much he hits. He'll be tested with a full-season assignment in 2011, likely at high Class A Winston-Salem because he's already 23.

Christian Marrero, of/1b, White Sox

Born: July 30, 1986. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 185. Drafted.: Broward (Fla.) CC, D/F 2005 (22nd round). Signed by: Jose Ortega.

A true tweener, Marrero was on the verge of sliding off the prospect radar screen altogether before a strong second half at Double-A Birmingham. He hit .297/.366/.448 after the all-star break to regain some of his luster, though the White Sox still didn't add him to their 40-man roster. He's the brother of former Nationals first-round pick Chris Marrero. Christian has shortened his swing and has worked to get deeper into counts, adjustments that have led to improvement at the plate. However, most of his power comes to the gaps, which hurts his chances to become a regular at first base or on the outfield corners. He's an average defender at first base but has fringy range and arm strength as an outfielder. He's a below-average runner but not a baseclogger. Marrero will advance to Triple-A Charlotte this year, but unless he starts hitting more home runs, it will be hard for him to carve out a role in Chicago.

Jose Martinez, of, White Sox

Born: July 25, 1988. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 180. Signed.: Venezuela, 2006. Signed by: Amador Arias/Dave Wilder.

Martinez finally has recovered from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, an injury that ended his 2008 season after 39 games and caused him to miss all of 2009. Though he played in just 67 games last season, that represented a career high and the White Sox think he'll be durable going forward. The lack of at-bats clearly has had a negative impact, as he has yet to develop the above-average pop that was forecast for him when he was a teenager. The son of the late Carlos Martinez, who spent three of his seven major league seasons with Chicago, Jose still offers power potential with his size and bat speed. He has an intelligent approach at the plate, working counts but not drawing many walks. He has shown impressive perseverance in coming back from his knee problems and has gotten some of his speed back. He's now an average runner. Martinez once looked like he had a chance to blossom into an everyday center fielder with some offensive skills, but he now projects as more of a fourth outfielder. He fits better in right field, where he's a solid defender with an average arm. In 2011, he'll be tested at Double-A Birmingham, a difficult environment for many hitters.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
These are from baseball america yesterday

Christian Marrero's more likely to start out in B'ham. If one or both of Daryle Ward and Dallas McPherson don't make the cut for Charlotte, then Marrero will start there. Jose Martinez is not beginning the year in B'ham. Drew Lee won't jump Daniel Wagner, Lee will most likely begin in Kanny. I agree with the projection for Nevin Griffith.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
Christian Marrero's more likely to start out in B'ham. If one or both of Daryle Ward and Dallas McPherson don't make the cut for Charlotte, then Marrero will start there. Jose Martinez is not beginning the year in B'ham. Drew Lee won't jump Daniel Wagner, Lee will most likely begin in Kanny. I agree with the projection for Nevin Griffith.

I agree with you mostly, but I do think Marrero will be in Charlotte.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Sox took Mitchell at 23. Angels took Trout at 25. Just sayin'.

Yep, and the Padres took Donovan Tate 3rd and the Orioles took Matt Hobgood 5th.

You can't predict something like Mike Trout's emergence, and it's entirely possible that he isn't anywhere close to the same prospect in Chicago due to different organizational philosophies. There really shouldn't be a single person on here who was disappointed by the Jared Mitchell pick, because he is still an incredible talent and could very easily develop into a great leadoff or #2 hitter down the road.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
Yep, and the Padres took Donovan Tate 3rd and the Orioles took Matt Hobgood 5th.

You can't predict something like Mike Trout's emergence, and it's entirely possible that he isn't anywhere close to the same prospect in Chicago due to different organizational philosophies. There really shouldn't be a single person on here who was disappointed by the Jared Mitchell pick, because he is still an incredible talent and could very easily develop into a great leadoff or #2 hitter down the road.

Then maybe we need to change our philosophy? I agree with your post for the most part. But you kinda made an argument without really meaning to in favor of people like myself that hates our overall drafting/development philosophy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
Then maybe we need to change our philosophy? I agree with your post for the most part. But you kinda made an argument without really meaning to in favor of people like myself that hates our overall drafting/development philosophy.

Jared Mitchell received a $1.2 million signing bonus. Mike Trout received a $1.215 million signing bonus.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
Jared Mitchell received a $1.2 million signing bonus. Mike Trout received a $1.215 million signing bonus.

I wasn't talking simply money. As you obviously proved that this wasn't a factor in this case. Wite clearly hinted at that even if we had taken Trout that there's a good chance that he wouldn't have become the player he has to this point with us as opposed to the Angels. IMO, that casts a negative light on the organization, whether he meant it that way or not .

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
I wasn't talking simply money. As you obviously proved that this wasn't a factor in this case. Wite clearly hinted at that even if we had taken Trout that there's a good chance that he wouldn't have become the player he has to this point with us as opposed to the Angels. IMO, that casts a negative light on the organization, whether he meant it that way or not .

I've always had a problem with the White Sox player development, but it is much better than it has been in the past - atleast the Sox are beginning to develop players that can be starting caliber. There was a long stretch of time when they couldn't really develop anything. From like 2005 through 2008, it seemed as though there were very few rookies - not counting a 26 year old Alexei Ramirez - that the Sox brought up and developed into atleast average starting players, and really, they didn't trade any away during that time frame either. Atleast in 2009 they had Getz and Beckham come up and put up solid (used very loosely considering Getz) numbers as a rookie.

However, my post wasn't meant as a shot at the White Sox, but simply alluding to the random nature of prospects. There are certain guys who flourish in certain developmental philosophies, and there are some who really struggle - I mean, that's an obvious point, but it's quite true. I doubt Trout is doing what he did this past year anywhere else; he just fell into the perfect situation for him. And perhaps Donovan Tate isn't struggling if he is with, say, Tampa Bay, who really know how to mold athletes into great baseball players, whereas San Diego doesn't know how to harness that much talent but instead prefer players who have one definable tool.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
Keith Law put Sale at 67 in his rankings and didn't include any other Sox. A little low on Sale, but we know he doesn't like Sale much. He reasoned that he was a reliever and won't be a starter.

I can understand that. I know most hate Law. But the guy is at least consistent.