Bryce Harper

Brian

Will this kid get drafted #1 without playing high school ball the past two years?

I'm not totally familiar with the whole situation. Kids don't usually leave high school early to get their GED and concentrate on baseball like that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Or throw basestealers out at second from their knees, or score from 2nd on a passed ball...multiple times.

And throw a 96 MPH fastball on top of it with the ability to play 3 positions (SS, 3B, C)

Dudes got a sweet swing.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
Kids aren't usually able to hit 500 ft HRs either.

To be fair, I've never seen any game footage of the kid or anything, just these HR videos and such, but he's not going to be able to lean into pitches as much as he does at the higher levels. He has some incredible bat speed for his age though, and huge power in a pretty and quick swing.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
Will this kid get drafted #1 without playing high school ball the past two years?

I'm not totally familiar with the whole situation. Kids don't usually leave high school early to get their GED and concentrate on baseball like that.

I thought that they still needed to get some sort of exemption to do this, and that MLB has to approve it. I hope they don't.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Didn't he go to a JUCO in Nevada? I don't think he's as clear cut a #1 as he was six months ago, but i'd still put money on him being a Nat come draft time.

He is at CSN ,College of Souther Nevada at wooden bat leauge. And that is the reason he went this route. My nephew has played with and against him since youth ball.

Bryce can play and is a real good kid from a good family.

The Nationals are going to get a hell of a player

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
And throw a 96 MPH fastball on top of it with the ability to play 3 positions (SS, 3B, C)

Dudes got a sweet swing.

and is a lefty to boot

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
And that ball didn't land yet, if not for a wall, it could have kept going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liS3kGvQ9Bk

that's sick and he still a skinny kid too. Imagine when he bulks up.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
The Nationals are going to get a hell of a player

and is a lefty to boot

that's sick and he still a skinny kid too. Imagine when he bulks up.

If he bulks up, you can say goodbye to that bat speed. Grow and develop, sure, but no need to bulk him up.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
If he bulks up, you can say goodbye to that bat speed. Grow and develop, sure, but no need to bulk him up.

LOL right Bearsox. Thats what happens when kids grow into their bodies, they lose batspeed.

Hey, it happened to Joe Mauer and Alex Rodriguez, right?

oh, wait......

QUOTE (dadwassoxfan @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
He is at CSN ,College of Souther Nevada at wooden bat leauge. And that is the reason he went this route. My nephew has played with and against him since youth ball.

Bryce can play and is a real good kid from a good family.

He's going to be one hell of a pro. Welcome aboard!!!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
Adding muscle isn't going to reduce bat speed, unless he puts on like body-builder type mass, which isn't what anyone is talking about here.

And even if he does put on body-builder type mass...did Barry Bonds or Jason Giambi lose bat speed when they went from twigs to monsters?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
LOL right Bearsox. Thats what happens when kids grow into their bodies, they lose batspeed.

Hey, it happened to Joe Mauer and Alex Rodriguez, right?

oh, wait......

Mauer developed and grew. He never "bulked" up. He just developed his body and did the neccessary baseball lifts.

When I hear the term "bulk up", I think of adding muscle mass and bulk, which will cause your ligaments to tighten up, therefore causing you bat speed to obviously go down.

As a former two sport athlete who played both baseball and football, I used to have very good bat speed. But once I started to focus on football and bulked up with weight lifting, my ligaments naturally lost some of their elasticity and my bat speed took a hit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
And even if he does put on body-builder type mass...did Barry Bonds or Jason Giambi lose bat speed when they went from twigs to monsters?

Id say they lost some amount of bat speed, but all the power they gained made up for it. Plus, they were rubbing their creams and s*** most likely in the key places such as their thighs, ass, forearms, and chest.

Also, neither really developed big bulky muscles like body builders.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
Adding muscle isn't going to reduce bat speed, unless he puts on like body-builder type mass, which isn't what anyone is talking about here.

I know adding muscle won't reduce batspeed, but when I saw the term bulk up, I thought they were refering to him getting body builder mass.

Sorry, but I dont think bulk is the right word. More like grow and develop is a much better way of putting it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Mauer developed and grew. He never "bulked" up. He just developed his body and did the neccessary baseball lifts.

When I hear the term "bulk up", I think of adding muscle mass and bulk, which will cause your ligaments to tighten up, therefore causing you bat speed to obviously go down.

As a former two sport athlete who played both baseball and football, I used to have very good bat speed. But once I started to focus on football and bulked up with weight lifting, my ligaments naturally lost some of their elasticity and my bat speed took a hit.

Nobody was talking about Harper becoming the Governator, it all related to him growing into his adult body. Sorry you misinterpreted the term "bulk up", but thats exactly what is going to happen. You grow and put on bulk, body weight, mass, etc.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)

This is funny as hell to me - dude, you are inferior to these guys by orders of magnitude, and when you make a comparison, any comparison, it looks completely ridiculous.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
This is funny as hell to me - dude, you are inferior to these guys by orders of magnitude, and when you make a comparison, any comparison, it looks completely ridiculous.

We are all inferior, but how is it ridiculous? So, just because im inferior, my experience as a baseball player doesn't matter. So, if I was Bryce Harper, but decided to bulk up for football, and lost my bat speed... it only matter then?

Plain and simple, bulking up in muscle makes your ligaments tighten up. Having your ligaments tightening up = a reduction in bat speed.

Its really not that complicated and it doesn't matter how good or bad the ball player is.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
We are all inferior, but how is it ridiculous? So, just because im inferior, my experience as a baseball player doesn't matter. So, if I was Bryce Harper, but decided to bulk up for football, and lost my bat speed... it only matter then?

Plain and simple, bulking up in muscle makes your ligaments tighten up. Having your ligaments tightening up = a reduction in bat speed.

Its really not that complicated and it doesn't matter how good or bad the ball player is.

It just looks ridiculous to talk about a professional athlete (we'll just go ahead and put Harper in that category) and say "when I played..." I just laugh every time I see someone do that.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)

This is horses***. Just because it happened to you, does not mean it applies to everyone. Sure, maybe if you lift and only lift, your going to tighten up. These guys know what their doing because they have good coaching all around them. They have the trainers there helping them out also. Jarrod Parker (Diamondbacks top prospect) and I played together when we were juniors in high school and he was topping out at about 93 that summer. He was a wiry 160 lbs. He goes into his senior season consistantly throwing 95-99 mph and had added almost 25 pounds of muscle. He also gained tons of bat speed. He said the key was the arm bands and the medicine ball activities to work on his flexibilty. These guys know what their doing, and they also have god-given talent.