Bryce Harper

Brian

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
We are all inferior, but how is it ridiculous? So, just because im inferior, my experience as a baseball player doesn't matter. So, if I was Bryce Harper, but decided to bulk up for football, and lost my bat speed... it only matter then?

Plain and simple, bulking up in muscle makes your ligaments tighten up. Having your ligaments tightening up = a reduction in bat speed.

Its really not that complicated and it doesn't matter how good or bad the ball player is.

Just to be factually correct because it is driving me nuts. Your ligaments do not tighten up, your muscles and tendons will, if you don't stretch along with it.

Ligaments surround and protect the joints whereas muscles and tendons provide the motion.

I know this is not part of the discussion but the misuse of the different tissues needed to be corrected.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
Just to be factually correct because it is driving me nuts. Your ligaments do not tighten up, your muscles and tendons will, if you don't stretch along with it.

Ligaments surround and protect the joints whereas muscles and tendons provide the motion.

I know this is not part of the discussion but the misuse of the different tissues needed to be corrected.

lol, some of us are grammar nazis, others are medical term nazis.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Mauer developed and grew. He never "bulked" up. He just developed his body and did the neccessary baseball lifts.

When I hear the term "bulk up", I think of adding muscle mass and bulk, which will cause your ligaments to tighten up, therefore causing you bat speed to obviously go down.

When i said bulked up, I meant what you are referring to about Mauer, not McGwire type muscles.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
It reminds me a bit of Utley's. And i never thought Utley's swing would cut it in the major leagues, so i've been wrong before.

The 2 things that bother me about his swing are the lunge and the toe-tap. The thing about the toe-tap is that it's currently helping him, but in the future it'll probably hurt him. Against inferior pitching, it's going to help prevent his hips from flying open (kind of counter-acting the lunge) since he basically shows the bottom of his foot to the pitcher, but when they bust him inside (which people now are probably scared to do), he'll have a much tougher time.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
The 2 things that bother me about his swing are the lunge and the toe-tap. The thing about the toe-tap is that it's currently helping him, but in the future it'll probably hurt him. Against inferior pitching, it's going to help prevent his hips from flying open (kind of counter-acting the lunge) since he basically shows the bottom of his foot to the pitcher, but when they bust him inside (which people now are probably scared to do), he'll have a much tougher time.

Well thats what the minor leagues and the minor league hitting coaches are for. Perhaps to tweek his mechanics a bit. His swing doesn't bother me as much. (hell Alexei has that same toe-tap) This guy has been over hyped and it's not really fair for him. (besides me, daa, and a couple others here, noone knew about him from back then) He's an intriguing prospect, but as we all know he can also be one of the biggest bust. I've seen alot of prospects get over hyped over the years (some warranted, some not) but Bryce is probably one of, if not, the most over hyped.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)
Well thats what the minor leagues and the minor league hitting coaches are for. Perhaps to tweek his mechanics a bit. His swing doesn't bother me as much. (hell Alexei has that same toe-tap) This guy has been over hyped and it's not really fair for him. (besides me, daa, and a couple others here, noone knew about him from back then) He's an intriguing prospect, but as we all know he can also be one of the biggest bust. I've seen alot of prospects get over hyped over the years (some warranted, some not) but Bryce is probably one of, if not, the most over hyped.

Teams have been coming out and saying hes the around the 10th best in the draft in terms of talent, and along with his signability concerns I see him slipping late in the first round if not later.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
Teams have been coming out and saying hes the around the 10th best in the draft in terms of talent, and along with his signability concerns I see him slipping late in the first round if not later.

If Harper somehow slid to the Sox, who here would take him?

I definitely would, since he'd be a lefty power bat at catcher, which for all we know, Flowers could work out, be moved to 1B, or traded.

However, I doubt Kenny would, what with Scott Boras and him not being a college player.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)

Unless a college guy or three jumps into the spotlight like Strasburg did last season, Washington or any other top 5 team would be foolish to not draft this kid.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
If Harper somehow slid to the Sox, who here would take him?

I definitely would, since he'd be a lefty power bat at catcher, which for all we know, Flowers could work out, be moved to 1B, or traded.

However, I doubt Kenny would, what with Scott Boras and him not being a college player.

Well we need a DH...