McGwire Admits Steroid Use

flavum

WOW! Bud is in some serious denial:

Bud Selig: Steroid Use 'Virtually Nonexistent'

“The use of steroids and amphetamines amongst today’s players has greatly subsided and is virtually nonexistent, as our testing results have shown. The so-called steroid era — a reference that is resented by the many players who played in that era and never touched the substances — is clearly a thing of the past, and Mark’s admission today is another step in the right direction.”

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
Just saw the MLB stuff on ESPN. At least he seemed sincere in his apology.

He continues to lie. He only used them to recover from injuries? BS! In 1997, 1998, and 1999 he played at least 153 games. THat includes 1998 when he hit 70 homers and.... was on ANDRO!

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
About what? That was a pretty factual statement.

In what world has baseball rid baseball or roids? HGH still isnt tested.

Their test show to steroids because they dont test fro everything. Oh, and players are still getting suspended for roids.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
WOW! Bud is in some serious denial:

Bud Selig: Steroid Use 'Virtually Nonexistent'

Steriod use is virtually non-existent. With the current testing procedures anabolic steriods will be detected.

What he isn't saying is that with the current testing procedures they cannot detect HGH or human growth hormone. This is what current players are taking. It is more difficult to obtain and is much more expensive so fewer players are taking it.

This will be the case until someone comes up with a new synthetic steriod such as in the BALCO case.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
In what world has baseball rid baseball or roids? HGH still isnt tested.

Their test show to steroids because they dont test fro everything. Oh, and players are still getting suspended for roids.

Beat me to the reply. But to be fair no sports tests for HGH. This is why you still see the NFL players getting bigger. No union is currently agreeing to have blood tests. The only sport that does is the International Organizing bodies. Why do you think so few major leaguers didn't participate in the World Baseball Classic?

Players are still getting suspended for steriods because they are getting caught. Players can cycle on and off to attempt to aviod getting caught and a few may succeed but it will greatly reduce the effect they have on the body so it still partially helps the problem.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
I find it funny that Canseco got so much crap and he turns out to be right about everything.

I think he got crap for 2 reasons:

1) He was a snitch and no one likes a snitch

2) He was reveling names for money (his book), so it was not viewed as a "good for the game" move... it was a for profit move.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
He continues to lie. He only used them to recover from injuries? BS! In 1997, 1998, and 1999 he played at least 153 games. THat includes 1998 when he hit 70 homers and.... was on ANDRO!

Exactly...so ridiculous...only for injuries? He was pretty swollen back in the bash brothers day.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Better get rid of all the amphetamine users in there too.

Thank You!!! I totally agree! They cheated in the exact same way, Their illegal performance enhanceing drug of choice just did not work as well during their time. They damn sure used and abused them all they could though. Take all the cheats out and you lose almost all your hall of famers from the 70's on. Not just the "roiders".

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Au Contraire, good sir.

The Cream and the Clear were known to increase fine motor skills, quickness, even vision, along with the other benefits such as improved strength and ability to recover more quickly from insane workout habits as well as injuries.

Canseco said in his book how well the roids helped him see the ball.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
Thank You!!! I totally agree! They cheated in the exact same way, Their illegal performance enhanceing drug of choice just did not work as well during their time. They damn sure used and abused them all they could though. Take all the cheats out and you lose almost all your hall of famers from the 70's on. Not just the "roiders".

You can't keep any of them out because there was no rules against them. You can disagree on how much each drug helped their performance. However, neither were against the rules of baseball until 2003. so the ones caught after that you can say they broke rules. Prior to that it is just the opinion of the voter as to whether or not to vote them into the HOF.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
Canseco said in his book how well the roids helped him see the ball.

it really doesn't directly improve vision. What it will do is increase your focus which will indirectly help you "see the ball better."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
I think he got crap for 2 reasons:

1) He was a snitch and no one likes a snitch

2) He was reveling names for money (his book), so it was not viewed as a "good for the game" move... it was a for profit move.

Kind of like all these guys took PEDs as a personal profit move.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
it really doesn't directly improve vision. What it will do is increase your focus which will indirectly help you "see the ball better."

How exactly can you say with 100% confidence that abusing these drugs at the levels that they're used doesn't actually increase the eye's visual acuity? There's never been a legit study on this because you can't load people up with steroids and HGH to do a normal double-blind study.

How is Big Mac, Bonds, Canseco etc. any different then Rose, Schmidt, Bench, etc. and EVERY MLB team who liberally gave illegal amphetamines in humongous amounts to improve performance throughout baseball. It has been part of the game for a LONG TIME, the modern "boost" just worked better. So, now these guys are cheating scumbags and those guys were great examples of playing the game right? C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
How exactly can you say with 100% confidence that abusing these drugs at the levels that they're used doesn't actually increase the eye's visual acuity? There's never been a legit study on this because you can't load people up with steroids and HGH to do a normal double-blind study.

From the studies done with lower doses for medical purposes there has never been any evidence of improving vision. The effects of anabolic steriods revolve around muscle tissue. Nothing has been found that would lead anyone to conclude that they effect the neural tissue to any great extent.

Also from working in the NFL and dealing with athletes who were on steroids I've never seen improved vision. If I went on experience I would say long term exposure would decrease vision with the number of these athletes who seem to get glasses earlier. That is just an observation but I can say with a pretty good amount of certainty from the available evidence and experience that anabolic steroids do not improve vision.

HGH is another story. The studies done with HGH have been done on children under the age of 18 who had growth abnormalities. vision could be effected with normal growth. This is one thing that scares the medical profession about HGH. While it natural occurs in the body it effects more than just muscle tissue so the long term effects on normal adults could be truly terrifying.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
HGH is another story. The studies done with HGH have been done on children under the age of 18 who had growth abnormalities. vision could be effected with normal growth. This is one thing that scares the medical profession about HGH. While it natural occurs in the body it effects more than just muscle tissue so the long term effects on normal adults could be truly terrifying.

The HGH is what everyone seems to be saying has the biggest effect on vision, per the anecdotes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
The HGH is what everyone seems to be saying has the biggest effect on vision, per the anecdotes.

I would probably say that is possible but I don't think that is part of Canseco's discussin. From what I 've read he took only synthetic anabolic steriods. The poster earlier also referenced that "steroids help improve vision" and that is what I based my comments upon.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
I would probably say that is possible but I don't think that is part of Canseco's discussin. From what I 've read he took only synthetic anabolic steriods. The poster earlier also referenced that "steroids help improve vision" and that is what I based my comments upon.

In Game of Shadows, the book that tells the story of Bonds and Balco, the Cream and the Clear, and other Balco variations are the substances mostly attributed to improve vision.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
In Game of Shadows, the book that tells the story of Bonds and Balco, the Cream and the Clear, and other Balco variations are the substances mostly attributed to improve vision.

I read this as well. It doesn't give specifics and since it was a unique substance created in a lab, there is no way to prove it. However, most the evidence empirical and anectodal is that the vision increases due to the increased focus and concentration that occurs. There was some mention in paper that a theory was prposed that the eye musculature could be strengthened like any muscle. While it has some merit that is really stretching the concept.