Castro is back.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Only problem is...if you want to sign a DH as well, you need an extra 40 man slot for him as well.

I personally would drop De Aza or Lillibridge, if they are allowed to, but I doubt they will. The trade may involve a different 40 man slot too, though.

Currently on the 40 man, not guaranteed to make the 25:

Dolsi

Hynick

Gartrell

Armstrong*

Marquez

De Aza*

Harrell

Hudson (does not have to be on the 25 if he's in AAA, I believe)

Luis*

Nunez

Santeliz

Torres

Williams

Flowers (same as Hudson, not sure if he needs to stay on the 40 in this case)

Viciedo

Lillibridge*

I starred the ones I think are mostly likely for DFA.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
If we carry 7 relief pitchers that means that Andruw Jones is our DH or Nix doesn't fit on the active roster?

7 relief pitchers = 12 man pitching staff, 9 regulars including 1 DH, leaving 4 bench spots.

If Jones is the full time DH, that leaves:

Castro

Vizquel

Kotsay

and 1 open bench spot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
I personally would drop De Aza or Lillibridge, if they are allowed to, but I doubt they will. The trade may involve a different 40 man slot too, though.

Dropping De Aza after already claiming him would be quite silly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
Because there are multiple backup catchers' on the market, and Castro was reportedly talking with other teams (there was a rumor a couple weeks ago he was close to signing with the Blue Jays but that seemingly fell through).

Yeah, maybe the offer sat on the table while Castro was out there searching for something better.

Deal seems too standard to make it seem like there was much negotiation occurring here.

Castro either was out looking for a better offer and decided to take this offer that was sitting on the table, or a deal will be completed shortly by the Sox either to bring in Thome or to send out Flowers.

That is my official stance. :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
7 relief pitchers = 12 man pitching staff, 9 regulars including 1 DH, leaving 4 bench spots.

If Jones is the full time DH, that leaves:

Castro

Vizquel

Kotsay

and 1 open bench spot.

Jones is the 4th, and we sign a DH, I'd bet.

I'm guessing we don't have a 5th bench guy, which means an OF like De Aza is the odd man out.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
I coulda swore I heard that Castro had signed with someone else already...guess not. I hope Castro can repeat his performance of last year and get the Sox another perfect game!

The Blue Jays were thought to have signed him, and then it was denied and he was back out there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Jones is the 4th, and we sign a DH, I'd bet.

I'm guessing we don't have a 5th bench guy, which means an OF like De Aza is the odd man out.

There's very little reason for De Aza to make this team out of ST unless someone gets hurt. He ought to start in Charlotte anyway, see if he can stay healthy and get everyday at bats in a league that he should be better than.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
There's very little reason for De Aza to make this team out of ST unless someone gets hurt. He ought to start in Charlotte anyway, see if he can stay healthy and get everyday at bats in a league that he should be better than.

In which case, just drop him from the 40 now, since he's unprotected anyway (we claimed him, and I believe we have to put him on the 25 to protect him, yes?).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
In which case, just drop him from the 40 now, since he's unprotected anyway (we claimed him, and I believe we have to put him on the 25 to protect him, yes?).

I could have swore we claimed him as a minor leaguer or something like that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
I don't know about that.

The issue with the team as currently constructed is our DH is a rather weak platoon situation. I would have rather given Flowers a few starts a week at the catcher position and a few starts a week at the DH position, because I think he could probably help the team more than giving the PAs to some of the other guys on this roster.

Instead, this means Flowers will be in Charlotte or traded, and more PAs will be taken by the likes of Nix, Kotsay, and Castro than I will enjoy.

OR, KW could make the obvious move and go out and sign Thome now.

I'd be disappointed. I would be very disappointed.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
If Jones is our DH, i think Nix makes the 25-man. If we bring someone in from the outside, i think he'll be playing for another organization.

That's exactly my point, various articles say how Nix and Lillibrigde were suppose to battle it out for the last spot.

I think trade might be in the works, I sure as hell hope Jones isn't starting DH on April 5th.

OK, De Aza was claimed off waivers. Doesn't that mean he needs to make the 25 man roster, or he can elect free agency?

Rotoworld also expressed skepticism that he'd even stick with the Sox all offseason:

De Aza had a strong half-season at Triple-A, but the 25-year-old has hit just .232/.279/.311 in the majors while missing a bunch of time with injuries. He'll fight for a bench job with the White Sox if he sticks with Chicago all offseason.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
OK, De Aza was claimed off waivers. Doesn't that mean he needs to make the 25 man roster, or he can elect free agency?

Rotoworld also expressed skepticism that he'd even stick with the Sox all offseason:

The 25 man roster depends on if he has any options remaining. If he does, we can send him down. If he doesn't he has to pass through waivers, and then he can deny the senddown and become a free agent. I don't know if he has any options or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
The 25 man roster depends on if he has any options remaining. If he does, we can send him down. If he doesn't he has to pass through waivers, and then he can deny the senddown and become a free agent. I don't know if he has any options or not.

According to Kalapse's chart, he has 2 option years remaining.