Reinsdorf tid-bits

SoxFan1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
I always think of luge lessons in Rangoon...

Nobody calls it Rangoon anymore, it's Yangon.

But I'm glad we're back to the practice of poking fun at posters but not making any substantive comments about a post.

Fine, sorry, I've lived in Asia for 2 1/2 of the last 3 years. Really, your reaction is perfectly appropriate...because most people in the Midwest are blissfully unaware of the economic tsunami headed their way. Maybe it's better for you that way, I don't know.

I would LOVE to make a comparison to the real estate boom in the US, but there's not exactly one to speak of at the moment.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
Destroyed. They save money for the new bar and restaurant they don't have to pay for.

Personally, I think it's sad that many now accept the company line that we should always have to wait until mid-year to make season-saving adjustments.

In 2006, Konerko/Thome/Dye said everything's okay, we don't need to make any changes. In 2009 and now, from all appearances, 2010, we're going into the season with OBVIOUS holes on the roster that could very easily lead to us getting buried in the first half of the year.

In this case, it's the DH and relief pitching.

Last year, it was Corky Miller, Josh Fields, Brent Lillibridge, Jerry Owens, DeWayne Wise, Brian Anderson, Jayson Nix, Chris Getz, Wilson Betemit, Williams, etc. Basically, 25% of our team would have been lucky to start for the Royals.

I really have no clue how KW thought that was a GOOD idea to start the season in that fashion.

Banking on Minnesota struggling in their new ballpark and not running away with the division, and knowing that the Tigers, Indians and Royals are in disarray, that doesn't sound like the best plan for this year.

We have a two-year window, possibly just this year...KW has to get it done. I'm tired of this crap about Ozzie wants a rotating DH so we're not going to spend the money argument (enough believe it that it won the recent poll, the Kotsay/Jones option) and KW will give Ozzie what he wants. You can come up with about 30-50 better possibilities for DH that will create more of an offensive output than Jones and Kotsay will. What's really sad is that we have 80-85% of a possibly great team (because of the rotation) but we're going to end up with DH OPS numbers in the bottom 3 in the AL, playing at USCF. The same thing happened last year at 3B/2B and CF. Ozzie has never said he doesn't want players or hitters, all he asked for was versatility. It's KW's job to find someone that fits the bill.

It's all too predictable coming into this season again, where things will go wrong. Even elementary students can see the problem.

Just once, I'd like to see KW trying to put together a team chemistry that can coalesce immediately in April instead of tinkering constantly and risking what happened last year, when we had all the talent in the world at mid-season but zero team chemistry. The roster has been in flux ever since 2006. You can't expect to keep dumping and adding around the core without having some affect on the overall team identity and "togetherness."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
Nobody calls it Rangoon anymore, it's Yangon.

But I'm glad we're back to the practice of poking fun at posters but not making any substantive comments about a post.

Fine, sorry, I've lived in Asia for 2 1/2 of the last 3 years. Really, your reaction is perfectly appropriate...because most people in the Midwest are blissfully unaware of the economic tsunami headed their way. Maybe it's better for you that way, I don't know.

I would LOVE to make a comparison to the real estate boom in the US, but there's not exactly one to speak of at the moment.

Im sorry caulfield, your posts for the most part for a while have stayed on point, and I have not poked fun at them in quite sometime. But when you interject something into your post so random that only someone living in Asia would understand, you should expect a little ribbing. I left it at what I said, and I will say no more since you have continued on topic.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
The post that bob dylan had should go down as the number one post in soxtalk history, it was pure genius, if you know what i mean, kyyle. I would actually like to read it again sometime.

Well, I'm filled with a feeling of elation that someone parodying my writing style would reach the #1 highlight of soxtalk history.

Oops, I've now been notified by Google China monitors that I just went over the 100 word attention span they proposed for all White Sox messageboards.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
Just a reminder: The 1 year in this decade where we didn't focus on power we won the World Series. Although there are a million ways to chop up this statement of mine, I still give it weight.

But that's how they won it. With power.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
If we go into this season with Andruw Jones/Mark Kotsay as our DH because Ozzie doesn't want a 'full-time' DH he better be gone if we don't make the playoffs. And this is from one of his biggest backers. I can't imagine KW would actually listen to him tho.

I wouldn't put this all on Ozzie. I could see this current team not making the playoffs. Quentin hasn't played a full season and Peavy is not the healthiest of starters. It's quite possible Beckham may have the sophomore slump.

Nothing has taken place in the off season to get me excited.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
^I'll also predict right now that next year Chris Getz hits for close to the same average as Pierre, gets on base at a higher rate than Pierre, and also steals with a better percentage than Pierre, basically being a better lead-off hitter than Pierre at a savings of about $7.2M over the next two years.

Very good post- I agree. And we could have picked up a corner outfielder who is worthwhile offensively and still get Thome to DH.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
Just a reminder: The 1 year in this decade where we didn't focus on power we won the World Series. Although there are a million ways to chop up this statement of mine, I still give it weight.

That year, when we "didn't focus on power," the team hit 200 home runs.

We won the World Series because we had the best pitching in the AL in the regular season, and ungodly good pitching in the playoffs (while hitting lots of home runs and slugging .476 as a team).

All of this Kotsay/Andruw Jones talk. People, please! Think about what you are saying. Even if you like to complain about Kenny Williams because you are a person who like to complain about things and/or you don't fully understand baseball, you've got to give him the benefit of the doubt about being a smart person who at least kinda sorta knows what he is doing.

He knows he has an opening at DH. He can sign absolutely any baseball player and fit him into the scheme. Sign another outfielder and you can have outfielders rotate around, dh, and still start every game. He can pick up any player and all he has to care about is their offense. And you think he came to the conclusion that his best bet is to sign Mark Kotsay and Andruw Jones to share a full season of at bats? Sign Andruw Jones- an increasingly brutal hitter who still has some power- immediately assure Sox fans that he is merely a 4th outfielder only to have him platoon at dh? Sign Mark Kotsay when for a little money more he could get the far superior Aubrey Huff to do the exact same thing and be a legit full-time dh? And please, tell me, where you think Thome is going to sign?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
Personally, I think it's sad that many now accept the company line that we should always have to wait until mid-year to make season-saving adjustments.

Just once, I'd like to see KW trying to put together a team chemistry that can coalesce immediately in April instead of tinkering constantly and risking what happened last year, when we had all the talent in the world at mid-season but zero team chemistry. The roster has been in flux ever since 2006. You can't expect to keep dumping and adding around the core without having some affect on the overall team identity and "togetherness."

Good stuff there caulfield, I agree.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
All of this Kotsay/Andruw Jones talk. People, please! Think about what you are saying. Even if you like to complain about Kenny Williams because you are a person who like to complain about things and/or you don't fully understand baseball, you've got to give him the benefit of the doubt about being a smart person who at least kinda sorta knows what he is doing.

He knows he has an opening at DH. He can sign absolutely any baseball player and fit him into the scheme. Sign another outfielder and you can have outfielders rotate around, dh, and still start every game. He can pick up any player and all he has to care about is their offense. And you think he came to the conclusion that his best bet is to sign Mark Kotsay and Andruw Jones to share a full season of at bats? Sign Andruw Jones- an increasingly brutal hitter who still has some power- immediately assure Sox fans that he is merely a 4th outfielder only to have him platoon at dh? Sign Mark Kotsay when for a little money more he could get the far superior Aubrey Huff to do the exact same thing and be a legit full-time dh? And please, tell me, where you think Thome is going to sign?

Couldn't we have made the same argument that KW wouldn't/couldn't possibly go into 2009 with Anderson/Owens/DeWayne Wise as the de facto CFers and Josh Fields at 3B?

SOMEHOW, Detroit found a way to free up $14 million for Valverde when they've blown tens of millions on Bonderman, Sheffield, Renteria, Robertson, Dontrelle Willis, Carlos Guillen and Magglio Ordonez (more for 2009 and being stuck with him for '10, too).

We've had a grand total of 3 bad contracts in that same time frame, but NOTHING close the $71 million the Tigers wasted on the 2009 season. Those bad contracts were Contreras, Linebrink (surely we wouldn't have gone to the playoffs without him in '08) and MacDougal...although some will want to count Konerko and Rios (already). I sure hope KW isn't using the acquisition of Rios as an excuse already for financially hamstringing the organization.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
SOMEHOW, Detroit found a way to free up $14 million for Valverde when they've blown tens of millions on Bonderman, Sheffield, Renteria, Robertson, Dontrelle Willis, Carlos Guillen and Magglio Ordonez (more for 2009 and being stuck with him for '10, too).

You do realize that the "Somehow" you quote there was "Trade one of the game's better young hitters and your #2 starter for prospects, let your closer (37/38 sv. opp), your grindy starting 2b, a quality setup man, and an OF and SP that you traded for midseason walk".

I literally can't even come up with a comparison from the Sox for what we'd be talking about giving up. It'd be something like dealing Danks and Beckham for prospects, letting Jenks walk for nothing, letting maybe Teahen walk for nothing, letting Garcia walk for nothing, and then losing a couple other relievers while you're at it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
The Tigers offense is worse than the White Sox, but their pitching staff could end up being better.

Verlander

Porcello

Scherzer

Galaragga, Bonderman, Willis, Robertson.

If Scherzer shows development, that could be a promising front 3 with an ace at the top and a potentially good 21 year old #2 (who is still seriously young though). The back end of that rotation though...p-u.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
Verlander

Porcello

Scherzer

Galaragga, Bonderman, Willis, Robertson.

If Scherzer shows development, that could be a promising front 3 with an ace at the top and a potentially good 21 year old #2 (who is still seriously young though). The back end of that rotation though...p-u.

Their bullpen is far superior as well. Valverde, Schlereth, Coke, Perry, Zumaya, Seay, and several other decent arms (including Ni). Hell, the Tigers have like 4 decent LH options out of the pen, opposed to the Sox 1.