The DH Quandry

NorthSideSox72

What will the Sox do about the DH?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the scenario you find most likely to occur...

• Sox sign Thome for DH
    • Sox sign Dye for DH, occasional OF
    • Sox sign someone else for DH
    • Sox don't sign a DH, they rotate Jones/Kotsay/other
    • Sox trade for a 1B like A-Gon, move PK to DH
    • Sox sign a second backup IF to also DH
    • Other

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Who wouldn't want to see a trade for Gonzalez? In reality I see a re-signing of Thome, and I'd be okay with that.

The poll question is what you think is LIKELY TO OCCUR. Not necessarily the same as what you WANT, which would be a silly poll, since basically everyone would want A-Gon.

I still think we trade for AGON. Yes, we may or may not be able to extend him (I think we will) but we have a 2-3 yr window to win with our current pitching staff and we can think about replenishing in the future and Kenny has to be thinking that. So if they want, we will give them Flowers, Hudson, Danks or Mitchell (PTNBL) and Torres if they are so inclined. We got Flowers amongst others for Vasquez...so I don't think we'd hesitate one bit to including Vasquez in that deal instead of Flowers. Look at it like we get to keep Lilly, Santos Rodriguez and the young 3B whose name escapes me.

If you're KW, after next year, would you rather have:

Scenario A: Flowers (catcher), Konerko signed on a 1-year deal or Viciedo (1B), Viciedo or Konerko (DH); Hudson (5th Starter)

Scenario B: Pierzynski signed on 1-2 yr deal (catcher), AGon (1B), Viciedo (DH); FA, Rookie or Garcia (5th Starter)

It seems it comes down to Pierzynski vs. Konerko and the 5th Starter. I think Pierzynski is more valuable at his position and production than Konerko. Also, AGon and any 5th starter is better than Hudson and a team without an AGon-type player, especially since we don't know that Hudson is a sure thing.

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
The poll question is what you think is LIKELY TO OCCUR. Not necessarily the same as what you WANT, which would be a silly poll, since basically everyone would want A-Gon.

I realized the scope of the question, which is why I voted for Thome.

Quentin = DH

Jones = CF

Rios = RF

Pierre = LF

Rios is a really good RF, leave him there. Jones was one of the best CF's in history in a bigger park, playing CF for us shouldn't be an issue, he's only 32 -- he just needs to show up in shape and were good to go.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
Blalock would bring the most versatility and a left handed bat that still has pop. Plus, he's only 29.

It looks like he's missed a lot of time over the past three seasons. How healthy is he?

Edit: I see he played only one game at 3B last season. It doesn't appear he'd be able to give us much as a backup infielder. We could do worse at DH though.

Edited by BaseballNick

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
Quentin = DH

Jones = CF

Rios = RF

Pierre = LF

Rios is a really good RF, leave him there. Jones was one of the best CF's in history in a bigger park, playing CF for us shouldn't be an issue, he's only 32 -- he just needs to show up in shape and were good to go.

Rios has been a better CF the last few years than Jones.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
It looks like he's missed a lot of time over the past three seasons. How healthy is he?

Edit: I see he played only one game at 3B last season. It doesn't appear he'd be able to give us much as a backup infielder. We could do worse at DH though.

The nice thing would be, he wouldn't have to play the field that often if he was a DH as well. His numbers with the bat worry me with their inconsistency though.

Ozie has said it again and again. He doesn't want a set DH. He wants to manage his defense and his batting order game by game match ups and hot hands. He wants versatility and double switches. No lumbering base cloggers in the middle of the lineup.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 03:05 AM)
Ozie has said it again and again. He doesn't want a set DH. He wants to manage his defense and his batting order game by game match ups and hot hands. He wants versatility and double switches. No lumbering base cloggers in the middle of the lineup.

He won't have to worry about base cloggers because there won't be anyone on base with his rotating DH spot.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)

And that's a shockingly flawed approach when your best options are Andruw Jones, Omar Visquel, Mark Kotsay, Ramon Castro, and Jayson Nix. Only two of those guys (Jones, Kotsay) are feasible options. Only one of them (Jones) is somewhat a good one.