The DH Quandry

NorthSideSox72

What will the Sox do about the DH?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the scenario you find most likely to occur...

• Sox sign Thome for DH
    • Sox sign Dye for DH, occasional OF
    • Sox sign someone else for DH
    • Sox don't sign a DH, they rotate Jones/Kotsay/other
    • Sox trade for a 1B like A-Gon, move PK to DH
    • Sox sign a second backup IF to also DH
    • Other

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
Konerko should really be looking at a platoon situation, as his dismal numbers vs RHP in recent years are at that kind of level. Yet right now, the alternative at 1b is Kotsay, who should only be a reserve and late inning defensive replacement. If Delgado wouldn't be a huge drop off at 1b from PK [and numbers suggest he wouldn't, but health may] the advantage of Delgado over Thome would be big, as he can provide the power and OBP splits vs RHP that PK at 1b has not in years.

You know as well as anyone there is zero chance Konerko gets platooned.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
You know as well as anyone there is zero chance Konerko gets platooned.

It's that he should though. But it is the last year of his contract...PK could sulk for only so long. And the sox could bring in Kotsay for "defensive purposes" starting as soon as they get a lead, even if it's the 1st inning

I do believe the sox in 2010 won't be as hesitant to sit PK if he tanks-provided they have a decent alternative. It's his last year with the Sox, and the feel-good days of 2005 are a distant memory, as the Thome and Dye exits show. The sox should be more concerned about winning and getting production out of all their players--esp. their key power guys. Pk has hit poorly for 3 straight years off RHP. If they don't have a contingency plan for a continued drop off from him, the Sox are idiots. Right now, they don't.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
I'm seriously pissed we couldn't have outbid Texas on a one year contract for Vlad. I just don't understand why we couldn't overpay for a one year deal.

There are bargains out there for DH. Vlad could have been one. I'm still thinking the sox will sign someone else

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
I'm seriously pissed we couldn't have outbid Texas on a one year contract for Vlad. I just don't understand why we couldn't overpay for a one year deal.

Because we need, and will get, a left handed power bat.

Vlad's OPS over the last 4 years .901

Thome's (excludes time w/Dodgers) .933

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)

Losing out on Matsui and Vlad is really a pain. At this point it probably will be Thome.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
Because we need, and will get, a left handed power bat.

Vlad's OPS over the last 4 years .901

Thome's (excludes time w/Dodgers) .933

Going to 4 years is the key there...Thome is simply older, and more likely to be down this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Going to 4 years is the key there...Thome is simply older, and more likely to be down this year.

The Thome vs. Guerrero argument is pretty much moot at this point, but Thome did have the better year last year even when you factor in his pinch hitting in LA. Vlad is also due for some sort of a decline himself seeing that, even though he isn't as old as Thome, he is going to be 35 in a month. All those years playing on turf in Montreal won't be helping him either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)

a 39 yr old could preserve himself and prepare himself better than a 34 year old. Age is one of a bunch of factors. You can also argue that Vlad had even less of an excuse for a bad '09 based on the lineup he found himself in.

Edited by Princess Dye

Why are we so locked into the stereotype of a DH being a power hitter. There wwere times last rear I would have had Pods at at Dh because we needed him at lead off but his defense was so bad I wouldn't want him out there. If you have a guy that can not play the field but can still hit what you have is a pinch hitter. Ozzie wants the Dh spot to be able to hit in match ups run the bases and go into the field if necessary. The DH does not have to be a home run or nothing guy. He will use his bench to fill that spot. That also gives him room on the roster for another picher.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
Why are we so locked into the stereotype of a DH being a power hitter. There wwere times last rear I would have had Pods at at Dh because we needed him at lead off but his defense was so bad I wouldn't want him out there. If you have a guy that can not play the field but can still hit what you have is a pinch hitter. Ozzie wants the Dh spot to be able to hit in match ups run the bases and go into the field if necessary. The DH does not have to be a home run or nothing guy. He will use his bench to fill that spot. That also gives him room on the roster for another picher.

The better hitters are those one's who don't make outs and hit for power, hence why this is the DH stereotype. The only reason Ozzie wants this flexible DH bulls*** is because he's clueless. Jim Thome provided this team with more value between 06 and 09 than flexibility ever could have.

Flexibility isn't production. Sure it's nice to be able to rest your players but at some point you need to have someone capable of stepping up to the plate and giving you offense. I don't see who that person is from our current DH rotation. Andruw Jones could be the guy, but I'd be surprised if he's ever a good offensive player again.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)

Why cant our DH be someone who is actually decent and capable of replacement level production out of the position? That's what everyone is complaining about.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)

The position is called "Designated Hitter" not "Designated Guy Who Can Do Many Thing, Most Of Them Not Involving Hitting".

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)

This would be fine IF we had enough power in our lineup. But we don't, so it isn't fine.

Hey if Kotsay wants to hit like he did as a W.Sox last year for a whole year, I'm fine with that. Get on base.

No matter who we get for DH, we need Quentin and Rios to return to '08 production. Otherwise we're not contending for anything anyway.

I think of Thome as someone who doesnt do a ton with the bat other than go long.

If we're not spending tons yet on payroll, I'd like to get back to smart hitting that is coming from somewhere other than a slap hitter. Maybe Kotsay is better at that than a Thome or Branyan. Could be way off on that but all kinds of things can happen (Thome showing his age, Branyan returning to horrid OBP, etc)

As we stand I think we project to have a good amount of power already.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
Hey if Kotsay wants to hit like he did as a W.Sox last year for a whole year, I'm fine with that. Get on base.

No matter who we get for DH, we need Quentin and Rios to return to '08 production. Otherwise we're not contending for anything anyway.

I think of Thome as someone who doesnt do a ton with the bat other than go long.

If we're not spending tons yet on payroll, I'd like to get back to smart hitting that is coming from somewhere other than a slap hitter. Maybe Kotsay is better at that than a Thome or Branyan. Could be way off on that but all kinds of things can happen (Thome showing his age, Branyan returning to horrid OBP, etc)

Thank you! I get so sick of hearing how an upgrade at DH is the key to this offense being at least league average. And add Alexei as another guy that has to get back to '08 production.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)

Most projections have us around 184 homeruns, which is exactly the same amount we had last year. This is a fine number if we're counting on our pitching staff to carry a lot of the weight, but it sure could use another shot in the arm.