The DH Quandry

NorthSideSox72

What will the Sox do about the DH?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the scenario you find most likely to occur...

• Sox sign Thome for DH
    • Sox sign Dye for DH, occasional OF
    • Sox sign someone else for DH
    • Sox don't sign a DH, they rotate Jones/Kotsay/other
    • Sox trade for a 1B like A-Gon, move PK to DH
    • Sox sign a second backup IF to also DH
    • Other

I'm just thoroughly disgusted. I refuse to answer the poll of what is likely to happen, because then i would have to think like Ozzie, and if i did that i would start banging my head into my lap top and crying hysterically for hours. Why, oh why.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
I'd say we either rotate or we sign Thome.

I prefer we sign Thome.

Me too. It's sounds like Kenny and Jerry agree but are willing to go with Ozzie's crazy rotating DH plan and to hold him accountable for it. I will be so dissapointed if the Sox waste their great pitching by thinking they don't have to upgrade the offense. Unless you think letting your most productive hitter (Thome, .864 OPS) go is an upgrade. Let's face it Pierre/Pods swap is pretty much a wash and we really don't know if Teahen will be any upgrade at all.

When Jones, Kotsay,Nix or Vizquel are in the field then the DH will likely be who ever they are replacing that day. Either way it comes out to the same players. The guys on the roster. Do we need another bat on the roster? Sure but Jones has replaced Dye, for better or worse. An average fielder, right handed power hitter. Ozzie loved Thome as a man but doesn't like statues as ball players. I think they go with what they got and maybe go after some one at the trading deadline.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
One other thing to keep in mind is the bench situation. If Kotsay and AJ both start because we're facing a RHP, then that leaves zero LH bats on the bench, assuming the final bench slot goes to someone like Nix or CJ.

I find that to be a very, very, very small concern (that specific scenario). I find it more a concern that, without another serious lefty bat, the every day lineup is too RH heavy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
I find that to be a very, very, very small concern (that specific scenario). I find it more a concern that, without another serious lefty bat, the every day lineup is too RH heavy.

Obviously I agree with that. But the RH heavy bench is another casualty if you don't bring in someone who can bat LH. Not only do you wind up with a RH heavy lineup, you have no LH pinch hitters either.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Just for forewarning when Ozzie starts Visquel at DH, I’m going to call for his head. I might not mean it in the long-term, but I’ll be pretty pissed off if it happens consistently.

I hope Vizquel is a late inning guy, or allow Alexei to DH a couple times a month. Vizquel should never be playing as a DH, there's little sense to it

It's almost hard to believe that we are actually even discussing any remote possibility of Omar Vizquel, of all people, DHing. The idea completely flies in the face as to why the DH was instituted in the first place. Why, if Ozzie is willing to let Omar be the DH all in the name of versatility, why not then just go ahead and let the pitchers bat as well. I don't think they would fare much worse than a 43 year-old Vizquel at this point. No, we really need to move off of this silly notion. Finish off this roster by signing Thome and then let's head to Glendale!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
Just for forewarning when Ozzie starts Visquel at DH, I’m going to call for his head. I might not mean it in the long-term, but I’ll be pretty pissed off if it happens consistently.

It would be the last straw for me, because I fail to see what Ozzie Guillen does well except having great pitching and defense fell from the sky in 2005.

Ozzie will not DH Vizquel. The way he does it is have Vizquel start at short one day third another and second another. Then the likely Dh is Ramirez or Teahan or Beckham. So in essence what difference does it make if he bats while playing the field or bats as Dh? I think Ozzie (rightfully so) wants a bat handler like Vizquel batting second behind Pierre. It still comes down to juggling the players on the roster. Do we need another bat? A lefty? An outfielder or a DH only? Who? It will not be Thome. Ozzie wants some running and bunting and hit and run moves available to him. A double switch where a guy at least can play in the field for an inning or two. Thome is too one dimensional.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
I disagree that Ozzie would not DH Vizquel, he seems to be doing and saying everything possible to make sure we dont upgrade our weak offense, and indeed, everyting possible to waste this pitching staff.

It's SABOTAGE! Dun dun DUUUUUN!!!!

Ozzie's not playing Vizquel at DH, he was brought in for his defense. I know we all dislike what Ozzie's saying regarding the DH, and he's certainly made questionable moves at times, but come on...

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 09:14 PM)
Ozzie will not DH Vizquel. The way he does it is have Vizquel start at short one day third another and second another. Then the likely Dh is Ramirez or Teahan or Beckham. So in essence what difference does it make if he bats while playing the field or bats as Dh? I think Ozzie (rightfully so) wants a bat handler like Vizquel batting second behind Pierre. It still comes down to juggling the players on the roster. Do we need another bat? A lefty? An outfielder or a DH only? Who? It will not be Thome. Ozzie wants some running and bunting and hit and run moves available to him. A double switch where a guy at least can play in the field for an inning or two. Thome is too one dimensional.

Hopefully Vizquel won't start at all either. A 1-2 of Pierre and Vizquel is laughably weak.

The Sox need someone who can get on base and hit for power vs RHP at DH. Esp. seeing how PK can't hit RHP, the sox can't afford to have a power vacuum at DH 3/4 of the time. It's idiotic the sox say they are considering Jones/ Kotsay/ Vizquel for that spot.

Carlos Delgado makes sense. He'd be cheap, and mashes RHP. He also is a 2nd half hitter--something the sox could use in the months of July and Aug. As Delgado is coming back from injury and may need some extra time to come back, the could use their "rotating DH" and get Delgado some rest as well early in the season

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 06:20 AM)
The Sox need someone who can get on base and hit for power vs RHP at DH. Esp. seeing how PK can't hit RHP, the sox can't afford to have a power vacuum at DH 3/4 of the time. It's idiotic the sox say they are considering Jones/ Kotsay/ Vizquel for that spot.

Carlos Delgado makes sense. He'd be cheap, and mashes RHP. He also is a 2nd half hitter--something the sox could use in the months of July and Aug. As Delgado is coming back from injury and may need some extra time to come back, the could use their "rotating DH" and get Delgado some rest as well early in the season

Carlos Delgado makes sense, a player the Sox front office attempted to acquire but was turned down by said player because he refused to play for an American team - until it was necessary when the Jays wouldn't resign him - yet Jim Thome, who has spent the past 4 seasons here putting up perfectly good numbers doesn't make sense.

Makes sense to me. Or, seems to me, you are coming up with names the White Sox haven't had before and you just don't want to say "Jim Thome makes sense" even though you know he does. It's not exciting and not someone new, right?

BTW, I consider Carlos Delgado washed up and old, and the Mets do too. The Mets were his former team, and the Sox have absolutely no interest. At this point in time, I'm believing it's Thome or bust.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Carlos Delgado makes sense, a player the Sox front office attempted to acquire but was turned down by said player because he refused to play for an American team - until it was necessary when the Jays wouldn't resign him - yet Jim Thome, who has spent the past 4 seasons here putting up perfectly good numbers doesn't make sense.

Makes sense to me. Or, seems to me, you are coming up with names the White Sox haven't had before and you just don't want to say "Jim Thome makes sense" even though you know he does. It's not exciting and not someone new, right?

BTW, I consider Carlos Delgado washed up and old, and the Mets do too. The Mets were his former team, and the Sox have absolutely no interest. At this point in time, I'm believing it's Thome or bust.

What makes sense is getting a guy for DH who can also play a position--something the sox have said all off-season so they can move people around and give them time off, have favorable match ups/ etc. The sox seem to want that flexibility, as they did with the Rios addition last year, which gave guys days off late in the year. Delgado plays 1b, with fielding UZR numbers similar to Konerko. Thome is strictly a DH.

If the sox don't add a DH who can also play the field, IMO, they'll stand pat. I wouldn't be against the Sox adding Thome [they need a power bat vs RHP, and I hate the idea of Jones/ Kotsay/ Omar at that spot] But I don't see it, as all the talk from the sox seems to indicate they've moved on from Jim.

Delgado at this point in his career, should see most of his time as a DH. But his 2008 year hitting .271/.353/.518 with 38 Hr's in 598 AB's, playing 159 games in the field would seem to suggest he's got something left. As far is his refusal to accept a trade to the sox, situations change. See Peavy. Delgado's situation re: the Sox, was over 5 yrs ago. And Delgado refused a mid season trade to all teams in 2004, as he had his 5 and 10 yr. rights. I can see why Delgado would refuse a trade when he was going to be a Free agent in the offseason anyway.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 07:03 AM)
What makes sense is getting a guy for DH who can also play a position--something the sox have said all off-season so they can move people around and give them time off, have favorable match ups/ etc. The sox seem to want that flexibility, as they did with the Rios addition last year, which gave guys days off late in the year. Delgado plays 1b, with fielding UZR numbers similar to Konerko. Thome is strictly a DH.

If the sox don't add a DH who can also play the field, IMO, they'll stand pat. I wouldn't be against the Sox adding Thome [they need a power bat vs RHP, and I hate the idea of Jones/ Kotsay/ Omar at that spot] But I don't see it, as all the talk from the sox seems to indicate they've moved on from Jim.

Delgado at this point in his career, should see most of his time as a DH. But his 2008 year hitting .271/.353/.518 with 38 Hr's in 598 AB's, playing 159 games in the field would seem to suggest he's got something left. As far is his refusal to accept a trade to the sox, situations change. See Peavy. Delgado's situation re: the Sox, was over 5 yrs ago. And Delgado refused a mid season trade to all teams in 2004, as he had his 5 and 10 yr. rights. I can see why Delgado would refuse a trade when he was going to be a Free agent in the offseason anyway.

How does anyone know Delgado can play a position at this point? Supposedly he's not moving around so well in Winter Ball. Delgado was terrific in 2008, but he wasn't even hitting .230 on July 1 that year, and was only another bad week or two from being released before he heated up. I'd prefer Thome, you know what you're going to get, and even if Delgado can play the field, its firstbase or bust. Paulie is capable of playing there most of the time. I don't see the big advantage Delgado brings over Thome other than what was stated earlier, he's someone new.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
How does anyone know Delgado can play a position at this point? Supposedly he's not moving around so well in Winter Ball. Delgado was terrific in 2008, but he wasn't even hitting .230 on July 1 that year, and was only another bad week or two from being released before he heated up. I'd prefer Thome, you know what you're going to get, and even if Delgado can play the field, its firstbase or bust. Paulie is capable of playing there most of the time. I don't see the big advantage Delgado brings over Thome other than what was stated earlier, he's someone new.

Konerko should really be looking at a platoon situation, as his dismal numbers vs RHP in recent years are at that kind of level. Yet right now, the alternative at 1b is Kotsay, who should only be a reserve and late inning defensive replacement. If Delgado wouldn't be a huge drop off at 1b from PK [and numbers suggest he wouldn't, but health may] the advantage of Delgado over Thome would be big, as he can provide the power and OBP splits vs RHP that PK at 1b has not in years.

PK hasn't hit well vs RHP since 2006. The last 3 years he's hit .247/.335/.442 vs RHP, and .293/.386/.560 vs LHP. Since the majority of AB's will come off RHP, I want someone at 1b who can mash off them. Kotsay isn't going to provide that. And neither is Vizquel or Jones off RHP. Delgado has hit esp. well off RHP. PK and Delgado would seem to compliment each other at 1b and DH.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?play...p;type=batting3

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)

This was only based on like 1 week of playing the field. They are easing him into it. He is still hitting the ball, I believe he is hitting .304 with a home run

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/blue...in-delgado.html

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...tent_id=7911240