Non-Roster Invites

flavum

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
As do I. Minor league deals never hurt. Coop could find something wrong with him mechanically in ST, and have him work on it (sox have wanted him for years) and could have a good year in AAA, furthering our depth with Garcia/Hudson. I'll be keeping an eye on Daniel alot.

coop isnt that good lol hes never figured it out and probly never will. coop couldnt fix mac, sisco or aardsma

No, he was having arm problems too. His velocity disappeared. He used to be a big guy who threw hard with no control. If he cant get it up to 97 anymore then it probably doesn't matter if Coop "fixes" him.

But what the hell, right? It's a lottery ticket. Gives you something interesting to look at during the 7th inning of a spring training game.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
No, he was having arm problems too. His velocity disappeared. He used to be a big guy who threw hard with no control. If he cant get it up to 97 anymore then it probably doesn't matter if Coop "fixes" him.

But what the hell, right? It's a lottery ticket. Gives you something interesting to look at during the 7th inning of a spring training game.

It's a less risky roll of the dice than Shrek Colon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
They need the catchers early in camp.

I guess I thought after Lucy's injury, losing a season, then coming back and just doing badly last year, at his age... he'd be done. But I guess not. With Armstrong gone, I suppose Lucy will back up Flowers at AAA. Or maybe start at AA, but I'd think Logan Johnson will be starting there.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
It's a less risky roll of the dice than Shrek Colon.

Maybe in the sense that Daniel Cabrera won't disappear. In the sense of good pitching on the MLB roster, then Colon is far less risky because Daniel Cabrera is bad at pitching.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
any guesses on who might be a surprise to break camp with the big league team?

my long shot = Jordan Danks

Only if there is an injury.

I don't give any of the NRIs that much of chance. Maybe Threets since he's really the only one competing with Randy Williams for the 2nd lefty in the pen.

As far as somebody on the 40-man, I think a surprise could be Sergio Santos only because he's out of options.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Only if there is an injury.

I don't give any of the NRIs that much of chance. Maybe Threets since he's really the only one competing with Randy Williams for the 2nd lefty in the pen.

As far as somebody on the 40-man, I think a surprise could be Sergio Santos only because he's out of options.

I think Santos is a favorite to make the roster unless the Sox can find someone who is willing to take on the risk of Santos for either someone who will project well to the MLB roster or a semi-decent or raw prospect who has options and the Sox can try and work on. They just seem to like his arm too much.