Non-Roster Invites

flavum

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
any guesses on who might be a surprise to break camp with the big league team?

my long shot = Jordan Danks

Flowers, Viciedo, or D2.

Flowers or Viciedo to be part of this rotating DH monstrosity, and D2 for his fielding/possible hitting.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
Flowers, Viciedo, or D2.

Flowers or Viciedo to be part of this rotating DH monstrosity, and D2 for his fielding/possible hitting.

All three of those still have to play daily. Flowers maybe being the closest to being out of that category...have to get him learning this staff at some point during this year if AJP could potentially exit in free agency.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
I wonder if they weren't thinking of giving him a shot when they let DJ walk. It really didn't make much sense on its own at the time.

Either they thought there were big bargains they could find after the rest of the league spun out their no contract offers, or they though the two million he was supposedly looking for was crazy. Apparently if he could only find a two way offer from the Pirates, I think the Sox were pretty spot on.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Cole Armstrong was outrighted to AAA. I would assume he'll be a non-roster invitee as well.

I thought he signed elsewhere? Now I'm confused. Lucy was on the NRI list, and not Armstrong, which makes me think that Armstrong isn't with the organization anymore.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
I thought he signed elsewhere? Now I'm confused. Lucy was on the NRI list, and not Armstrong, which makes me think that Armstrong isn't with the organization anymore.

Wasn't he released when we signed Castro?

Isn't there something that he can opt to play for AAA instead of trying to find a major league contract.

Rotoworld's take on Armstrong:

White Sox designated catcher Cole Armstrong for assignment.

Armstrong posted a .256/.311/.402 line in seven minor league seasons, including .252/.287/.427 this past season for Chicago's Triple-A affiliate. The 26-year-old is solid enough defensively that he might someday work his way into a major league backup role, but, for now, he will look for a better opportunity with another organization on a minor league contract.

So he may not be gone, but I'd say its unlikely he stays in the organization.

• 4 weeks later...