Suntimes Peavy Article

Real

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:02 AM)
My god... if that article doesn't get anyone fired up about not only ST, but this season in general, then I don't know what will. Peavy will be fun to watch all year, especially his competitiveness on the mound.

Man, I was already amped for baseball because our open gyms just started at HS, but one thing guys at my school have lacked is drive, which is why I love this line.

"I want that dog pile, that memory, that ring. If you're not dreaming of that same thing, I question where you are as an athlete."

''But I do know this: When you walk in the doors of our clubhouse, you're free to be yourself and free to go out and do the things you're capable of. Be ready for the answers you get. You might not love them, but you will know where you are going. That's why guys have had career years here. I'd like to think we somewhat liberate them. The player has to do it, but what we do control is a positive work environment.'' Don Cooper

I think that's the most interesting insight in the article about WHY the White Sox have been successful (mostly) this decade.

For some reason, the first names that came to mind to my mind were Borchard, Fields and Brian Anderson. It has been pretty rare that someone failed miserably with the Sox and then lit it up for another playoff contender. We've had players excel at times for lesser teams (like Kip Wells with the Pirates) or Aardsma/Masset/MacDougal this season, but Aaron Rowand is one of the few position players to do well outside USCF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 04:57 AM)
For some reason, the first names that came to mind to my mind were Borchard, Fields and Brian Anderson. It has been pretty rare that someone failed miserably with the Sox and then lit it up for another playoff contender. We've had players excel at times for lesser teams (like Kip Wells with the Pirates) or Aardsma/Masset/MacDougal this season, but Aaron Rowand is one of the few position players to do well outside USCF.

Didn't Anderson always want to go out and party when guys went home to there wives?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:46 AM)
Didn't Anderson always want to go out and party when guys went home to there wives?

I think there were a couple of incidents with Anderson and the "late night honeys" that didn't sit well with Ozzie Guillen...having to do with him going out after White Sox losses or poor personal performances in 2006.

He was one of the younger players on the team, and one of the few single guys, so I think he kind of got stereotyped as a partier. How much of it was actually the truth and how much rumor, Ozzie pretty much gave up on him after that season, for all intents and purposes.

I've had this thought for a while, and here's a good place to use it. Jake Peavy kept the Tigers out of the playoffs last year. He beat them twice in the final 10 days. They wind up tied with Minny. Bet the Tigers would've preferred to face Clayton Richard.

Peavy will be must-see TV this year.

Edited by Al Lopez's Ghost

Awesome. Hopefully some people are taking note here, as this for them...

But Peavy had heard the whispers that he rejected the Sox in May because he wanted to stay in the pitcher-friendly National League, that if he was going to go to Chicago, it would be on the North Side, that he was afraid of the AL.

His reply? A big middle finger.

''I hope we put all the questions about coming here last year to rest now,'' Peavy said. ''I could have easily shut it down last year, but it was a big thing for me to throw those three games. It was big for me to show the media, the city, the fans and my teammates that I was committed to the Sox.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
If we miss the playoffs this year, I want heads to roll. We have such a good pitching staff ready to dominate, but our offense is severely lacking.

Considering only 4 teams from the AL will make it to the playoffs your odds are good.

You have to love starting spring training with a pessimistic, p***ed off attitude.

Enjoiy the season!!!!!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
Considering only 4 teams from the AL will make it to the playoffs your odds are good.

You have to love starting spring training with a pessimistic, p***ed off attitude.

Enjoiy the season!!!!!

If anything it shows how high my expectations are, and with the good moves we made, the fact that we are going with a DH by committee and going with Juan Pierre at leadoff... it better not screw us over, cause we have a pitching staff ready to win, and I dont want to waste any of their years.

I really hope Peavy pitches opening day. He's our ace. He deserves that honor.

I wouldn't say he "deserves" that honor.

I would assume they'll want to position the lefties and righties so the rotaiton will probably be Peavy, Mark, Floyd, Danks, Freddy or

Mark, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Freddy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
I really hope Peavy pitches opening day. He's our ace. He deserves that honor.

Personally, I don't care (and I doubt many within the team do), but I believe it'll be Buehrle every opening day until he's gone, injured, or ineffective as a starter.

Lets determine who the staff ace is after the season, that should fuel who some much needed inner team spark and hopefully bring out the best in each pitcher. Kind of like who can out-duel the previous pitcher in the playoffs in 2005. I wouldnt mind that at all. :headbang