Suntimes Peavy Article

Real

I hope Gavin Floyd is Jake Peavy's shadow this season. If you take Gavin's stuff and mix it with Peavy's mental approach, man, we'll have arguably the best 1-2 punch in baseball. Coop got in Gavin's head and we've seen the results but Coop can't get out on the mound and demonstrate that demeanor like Jake can.

I really think the atmosphere will be different in the clubhouse this season. Whether that leads to wins, who knows, but we've finally got a couple of guys who seem like they will be vocal leaders...namely Jake and Gordon.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Personally, I don't care (and I doubt many within the team do), but I believe it'll be Buehrle every opening day until he's gone, injured, or ineffective as a starter.

Could be, and I won't lose any sleep over it...but I just like Peavy's attitude, and I think he is our ace. Buehrle is a very good, consistent pitcher, but I want them to send a message that Peavy is here to lead this staff. For as good of a guy Buehrle is, he doesn't have the natural leadership thing going. Peavy obviously has that personality. But at the end of the day, I hope the top 4 get 33 starts and Garcia gets 30 starts. If that happens, I guarantee 90 wins.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Personally, I don't care (and I doubt many within the team do), but I believe it'll be Buehrle every opening day until he's gone, injured, or ineffective as a starter.

This is Mark Buehrle's team, or at very least his pitching staff, until otherwise notified. He has earned it.

I think we should watch Peavy pitch a full season in the American League at US Cellular Field before we crown him king of this pitching staff. I think he is going to be a great pitcher for this team, but 3 games and an article in the Sun Times isn't quite enough to take that honor away from Mark Buerhle in my opinion.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
I really hope Peavy pitches opening day. He's our ace. He deserves that honor.

Best Pitcher in Team History vs. Guy Who's Started 3 Games, but Better Pitcher.

I like Peavy, but Opening Day really should be given to the player who means the most to the franchise, on and off the field, and quite frankly, Buehrle is still the face of the franchise.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
Best Pitcher in Team History vs. Guy Who's Started 3 Games, but Better Pitcher.

I like Peavy, but Opening Day really should be given to the player who means the most to the franchise, on and off the field, and quite frankly, Buehrle is still the face of the franchise.

Ehh, no. Not even close really. Ted Lyons, Ed Walsh, hell, Billy Pierce, and that's just the surface.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
Ehh, no. Not even close really. Ted Lyons, Ed Walsh, hell, Billy Pierce, and that's just the surface.

I rarely count Walsh (dead ball era), I always imagined Buehrle would be just like Lyons stat wise if he played back in the day, and for Pierce, I don't really know why I've always counted Mark above him.

Don't really count Black Jack, Hoyt, Fernandez, Bannister due to length with team, and while Black Jack and Hoyt we're good, they weren't as consistently good (has Buehrle had a bad season other than 06?)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
I rarely count Walsh (dead ball era), I always imagined Buehrle would be just like Lyons stat wise if he played back in the day, and for Pierce, I don't really know why I've always counted Mark above him.

Don't really count Black Jack, Hoyt, Fernandez, Bannister due to length with team, and while Black Jack and Hoyt we're good, they weren't as consistently good (has Buehrle had a bad season other than 06?)

Just because a guy pitched in the deadball era doesn't mean you get to completely ignore his career 1.82 ERA. Besides that, Walsh's career ERA+ of 146 is far and away better than Buehrle's 122. And Ted Lyons is better at this point simply due to longevity. If, in his career, Buehrle puts up 4000 innings with an ERA+ in the same range (Buehrle's is actually better than Lyons'), then he'll probably pass Lyons too.

Pierce is probably better at this point, but that could change very easily.

Personally, I think Ed Walsh is undoubtedly the best pitcher in White Sox history and it won't end up being close at any future point in time. The very best I could see Buehrle finishing up is 2nd.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
I don't think there is much of an argument that Peavy is the better pitcher. It still doesn't make him the leader of this staff.

Agreed. It's actually a good thing, because I don't think the Sox have ever been that good when Buehrle has been the #1 starter come postseason time. He was the best pitcher during the entire 2005 season, but Contreras was the unquestioned ace of that staff when the playoffs came around.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Agreed. It's actually a good thing, because I don't think the Sox have ever been that good when Buehrle has been the #1 starter come postseason time. He was the best pitcher during the entire 2005 season, but Contreras was the unquestioned ace of that staff when the playoffs came around.

Its not a bad thing at all. I think both can control their egos enough ( I KNOW Mark can, Peavy seems like he would be OK with a chance to win) that it doesn't really matter.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
good posts - for a minute there i thought this was going to evolve into a brian anderson thread. that never happens!

Funny that you bring up Brian Anderson. I heard...

;)