KW responds to Guillen/Jenks spat

NorthSideSox72

I think its more likely later in the off-season than earlier. They need to be as certain as possible that Putz is healthy enough to handle the role. He seems to be and based off Jenks' poor conditioning, both are equally likely to get injured (Putz coming off an injury and Jenks coming off lesser injury and being out of shape). Of course, it can be motivation on Oz/KW's part.

I just think the clause in Putz' contract about "games finished" was the main clue and we've been "shopping" jenks for a couple off-seasons now...we just never had a secure back-up plan, but we do now with Putz.

The trading Jenks "shelf life" has come and gone...

Now we're going to be asking another team to be paying more for Jenks than Jose Valverde AND give up talent in return.

Until Jenks proves he can throw 96-98 in spring training, he stays put. And for those who follow Bobby in ST, he NEVER throws hard early.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
I think its more likely later in the off-season than earlier. They need to be as certain as possible that Putz is healthy enough to handle the role. He seems to be and based off Jenks' poor conditioning, both are equally likely to get injured (Putz coming off an injury and Jenks coming off lesser injury and being out of shape). Of course, it can be motivation on Oz/KW's part.

I just think the clause in Putz' contract about "games finished" was the main clue and we've been "shopping" jenks for a couple off-seasons now...we just never had a secure back-up plan, but we do now with Putz.

I don't think they signed Putz to replace Jenks. They signed Putz to replace Linebrink. If you trade Bobby, the bullpen is thin again with Linebrink as your setup guy along with Thorton. If we rely on Linbrink in this way you are going to see a ton of blown holds before a save opportunity arises.

"The whole season rides on the pen, assuming the other high risk (Peavy, Rios, Pierre) moves all pan out, and betting on a pig and a Putz is as high risk as it gets."

Beaver

I like that quote.

Seriously, Jenks needs to get in better shape if that's actually what is causing his back problems AND loss of velocity. If there's another reason (besides weight) causing the back and hip problems (congenital defect, etc.) I would be happy to hear about it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
"The whole season rides on the pen, assuming the other high risk (Peavy, Rios, Pierre) moves all pan out, and betting on a pig and a Putz is as high risk as it gets."

Beaver

I like that quote.

Seriously, Jenks needs to get in better shape if that's actually what is causing his back problems AND loss of velocity. If there's another reason (besides weight) causing the back and hip problems (congenital defect,drunkard etc.) I would be happy to hear about it.

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
I don't think they signed Putz to replace Jenks. They signed Putz to replace Linebrink. If you trade Bobby, the bullpen is thin again with Linebrink as your setup guy along with Thorton. If we rely on Linbrink in this way you are going to see a ton of blown holds before a save opportunity arises.

I think they signed Putz to close with the hope they could move either Jenks or Linebrink. If you look at it this way: Linebrink usually good early and sucks after all-star break and Jenks usually slow starter (low velocity) until he works himself into shape and weather warms, then you have 1 good set up man for the whole year. I think they try again earnestly to trade Jenks now, use Linebrink to set up. Trade Linebrink in June when he value is high (hot start) and trade for a more dependable set-up man or look in-house for that role (Pena). I know its a lot of movement but in the end you get the best bullpen results over the year. Rarely do relief men have outstanding seasons from start to finish. This mitigates the chances of collapse based off the historical evidence of performance. If we can get a valuable piece or two from Jenks it will help offset the lost prospects the other trade I think will happen will cause: AGon!

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
I think they signed Putz to close with the hope they could move either Jenks or Linebrink. If you look at it this way: Linebrink usually good early and sucks after all-star break and Jenks usually slow starter (low velocity) until he works himself into shape and weather warms, then you have 1 good set up man for the whole year. I think they try again earnestly to trade Jenks now, use Linebrink to set up. Trade Linebrink in June when he value is high (hot start) and trade for a more dependable set-up man or look in-house for that role (Pena). I know its a lot of movement but in the end you get the best bullpen results over the year. Rarely do relief men have outstanding seasons from start to finish. This mitigates the chances of collapse based off the historical evidence of performance. If we can get a valuable piece or two from Jenks it will help offset the lost prospects the other trade I think will happen will cause: AGon!

Linebink makes too much money, and the White Sox are not a team that eats dollars in order to make a trade. I think we are stuck with Linebrink. Also taking the job away from Bobby would only cause discord on the team. I believe Williams when he says Jenks is still the closer.

If we can get a valuable piece or two from Jenks it will help offset the lost prospects the other trade I think will happen will cause: AGon!

I love the prospect of trading for AGon, but the chances we give up anything big from anywhere but our farm system is slim. And whatever players we'd get for Jenks really wouldn't replace what we'd give up.

The thing is, the Sox won't be able to get a valuable piece for Jenks at this moment. His highest value is to the White Sox as a closer, because he's either a setup man or is fighting for a shot at closing in any other organization. I can think of places where Jenks would be an upgrade, but the teams that would really want a pitcher like Jenks to push them over the top - meaning teams with even a shot in hell at competing - aren't going to give a hell of a lot when they could sign a guy like Octavio Dotel (even if he is about to go to the Pirates) for half of that without giving up anything of value in terms of pieces.

The odds that Jenks is dealt before the season starts are probably about the same as Alexei Ramirez being traded during the same time frame. I could also either Jenks or Linebrink, or both of them, dealt during the season if the time called for it. Linebrink would be if his value was actually high, and Jenks' would be if he was disappointing or he was doing well and the Sox disappointed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)

Beaver

I like that quote.

Seriously, Jenks needs to get in better shape if that's actually what is causing his back problems AND loss of velocity. If there's another reason (besides weight) causing the back and hip problems (congenital defect, etc.) I would be happy to hear about it.

They aren't trading Jenks and Putz is the set up man and knows it. But he can be used to close if needed. I think previous ad naseum articles suggest Jenks is working hard to get into the best physical shape. The author of this article is revisiting a closed issue IMO