How Is The Economy Today?

Texsox

17 members have voted

1. 1. How is the economy today?

• Getting Better
    • Staying the Same
    • Getting Worse
  2. 2. Why are There Fewer Stories in the News?

• Liberal Media not wanting to make Obama look bad
    • Media beat the horse until it was very dead
    • Public just not as interested
    • Other
  3. 3. True or False Tex is bored

• True
    • False
    • Bacon!

See, from my perspective (that is, one of absolutely no economic background), I'd just lie. Why not just say the economy is improving? If they could only get the Department of Labor, or whoever monitors unemployment, to go along, we could get those money hoarders who make good money, yet just hold onto it because they hear the word recession, to spend it.

I just don't understand how things can improve. I read these newspaper articles of factory workers losing their jobs, knowing they'll never find another one, and I wonder -- what the hell can anyone possibly do? Industrial, blue collared work is almost a thing of the past. That's leaving a whole generation of people 30-50, who only needed a high school education to do their jobs, with their pants down and a full family to support.

What needs to happen is the creation of jobs that are simplistic, yet well paying. Being overly efficient is what's killing the American workforce. I've always been one of these people that jokes about city workers, and how it takes five of them to do the work of one; but this is EXACTLY what needs to happen. Hire more people to do the work of a few. I'm not even joking. The problem is we're looking for complex solutions to a problem that has an easy answer.

Also, my idea to save the automotive industry is to give people the option of buying cars that are no longer made. You'll receive a catalog, and if you want a 1971 GTO Judge you can pay $50,000 (it has to be reasonable) to have it made. American companies are struggling as it is, so I couldn't see how this hurts anyone. There would be a huge demand for vintage cars, perhaps in addition to more recent ones that have been discontinued. It would put many Americans to work, and you'd only produce what you have been ordered to make. Thus, there aren't 20,000 cars sitting in a lot that no one is buying. Every car ordered would be hand assembled, not by machines. There's one piece of the equation solved ;)

It's like this crisis in Haiti. All in all, we'll probably give billions to the country to rebuild. Someone can fill me in if I'm off, but who exactly is receiving this money? I'd say instead of giving Haitians these billions, that will never get to the people, use it to hire American citizens to go over there and begin rebuilding the cities and creating infrastructure. Yes, it may be seen as exploitative that some are making money off of this, but I guarantee we'd do a hell of a lot better job than anything the international community can muster. And you know many would line up for the opportunity if it paid decently, like $40,000/yr.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
The Dow is a forward indicator. And guess what, it was pretty damned right on.

If that's the case, then you guys who have been such naysayers for months apparently forgot this. The Dow has been steadily trending up since last March, and is up about 60% during that time period.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
If that's the case, then you guys who have been such naysayers for months apparently forgot this. The Dow has been steadily trending up since last March, and is up about 60% during that time period.

Us naysayers realize that this is government money going into the Dow.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
Us naysayers realize that this is government money going into the Dow.

So it's a forward looking indicator when it agrees with you and it's a crappy indicator when it disagrees with you. (Yes, I'm a naysayer as well. Just sayin')

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
It depends on where the money comes from. Trace the dollars on almost everything and it answers a lot of questions.

So, when the money comes from banks and investment firms, based on the evidence from 1998-2008, it's a totally unsustainable bubble.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)

It also doesn't mean that it is always right, but it happened to be right this time.