White Sox agree to terms with Jenks and Quentin

justBLAZE

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4832496

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox on Saturday announced they have agreed to terms on one-year contracts with closer Bobby Jenks and outfielder Carlos Quentin.

According to a news release from the team, Jenks' deal is worth $7.5 million, while Quentin got a $3.2 million contract. The deals also allow the Sox to avoid arbitration with both players.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
They still have arbitration years (Bobby 1, Quentin 2) even after signing the contract right?

I think Quentin's holding out until he can demand more with another 2008 type season.

Quentin needs to show he can stay healthy first.

Jenks and Quentin have agreed to contracts rather than go through arbritration, much to my surprise Bobby Jenks saw his salary increase to $7.2 million, Is there a reliever in baseball making more than Bobby Jenks? I appreciate all he's done but last year was a step back from his prior years.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
Jenks and Quentin have agreed to contracts rather than go through arbritration, much to my surprise Bobby Jenks saw his salary increase to $7.2 million, Is there a reliever in baseball making more than Bobby Jenks? I appreciate all he's done but last year was a step back from his prior years.

Mariano Rivera, Frankie Rodriquez and I think Kerry "Balsa" Wood to name three. Also Palpabon for the Red Sox.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
It's too bad we couldn't lock up Quentin long term while he's cheap.

I don't think Quentin is injury prone, but he needs to put up atleast one season without getting injured before you consider signing him long-term.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Jenks and Danks are fairly easy. Jenks will get around $7.5M and Danks I'd say about $3.2M. Quentin's tough, probably the same as Danks, maybe a bit less. So somewhere between $15 and $16M total for Jenks, Danks, Quentin, Carrasco and Pena.

Spot on so far.

And just because the Sox and Quentin agreed to a 1 year deal today doesn't mean they couldn't tear it up tomorrow and come to terms on a long term contract, not that I think that's a likely scenario.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
Aren't Danks and Pena arb eligible?

Yep. Not quite out of the woods just yet. I imagine Pena being pretty painless but Danks could get a lucrative multi-year deal that takes a few more days/weeks to complete.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
Danks should be locked up. I'm sure the numbers can be worked out between the two sides on a deal similar to Gavin's.

Danks will be after significantly more than Gavin. He rejected a contract similar to Gavin's last year so there no way he'd take that now. I'd expect him to get more of a Jon Lester type deal, something like 4/$30m with a club option for a 5th year.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Danks will be after significantly more than Gavin. He rejected a contract similar to Gavin's last year so there no way he'd take that now. I'd expect him to get more of a Jon Lester type deal, something like 4/$30m with a club option for a 5th year.

I was thinking more than Gavin, yet less than Lester. The Sox aren't going to make Gavin's deal look like peanuts and cause a rift salary wise.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
I was thinking more than Gavin, yet less than Lester. The Sox aren't going to make Gavin's deal look like peanuts and cause a rift salary wise.

I'd be very disappointed if the Sox refrain from signing Danks just because they're afraid of ruffling Gavin's feathers. Gavin is the one who decided to sign the team friendly contract, after all.

I definitely don't consider Danks to be as good a pitcher as Lester is, but I think he'll be after 4/$25m-4/$30m with that 5th year option.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)

Danks is better than Floyd and thus should be making more than him, simple economics. Those types of issues I am pretty sure don't cross the mind of any front office employee otherwise it would handcuff nearly everything they do.