Fun Game: DRAW and DISCARD

Eminor3rd

If you could pluck ANY SINGLE player in baseball from any team and put them on the White Sox, who would it be?

Rules:

1. When you pick one, you must also DISCARD one

2. The player that you discard MUST be a player from Chicago's 40-man roster (or at least likely to make the team in ST this year)

3. You must consider payroll, at least in what it could potentially limit the Sox to do in the future

4. You CANNOT choose Albert Pujols

EDIT: 5. You do NOT have to eat the salary of the player you discard. So, you can definitely use the discard for a salary dump.

Here's mine:

ANDRE ETHIER/Brent Lillibridge

We put Ethier in right, Rios in center, and Pierre in left. This moves CQ to the DH position, solving that disaster. Bench is full of quality pinch hitters and we still have a leadoff. Nix/Vizquel will back up the infield just fine; we're better off knowing that Lillibridge will never see the field.

Lineup becomes:

1. Pierre, LF

2. Beckham, 2B

3. Ethier, RF

4. Quentin, DH

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Pierzynski, C

7. Rios, CF

8. Teahen, 3B

9. Ramirez, SS

Honorable Mention:

ADRIAN GONZALEZ/Brent Lillibridge - PK becomes DH

MATT KEMP/Brent Lillibridge - Same scenario above except Rios in right, Kemp in center

EVAN LONGORIA/Juan Pierre - This is only if we would sign a DH like Thome, but we'd be short a leadoff guy. OF would be Teahen/Rios/CQ.

What are yours?

Edited by Eminor3rd

Cheap option: Justin Upton. Infinitely talented, 22 years old, dirt cheap in 2010 (~$500K), under team control for 4 more years and coming off an outstanding season. He takes over in right, Rios in CF and Quentin and Pierre rotate between LF and DH.

More expensive option: Hanley Ramirez. I'd take Utley but he'll make more than twice as much as Hanley in 2010 ($7M compared to $15M) and I don't think the Sox can afford that. Probably the second most talented player in the game behind Pujols, incredible production, under team control for 5 more seasons, would allow for good flexibility and solve the DH disaster. Teahen, Beckham and the Ramirez's can fill the 3B/2B/SS/DH spots in whatever configuration grabs Guillen on a game to game basis.

If you have to eat the contract of the play you dump then I'd of course drop Lillibridge. If the contract is somehow terminated and I don't have to pay it then I'd drop Konerko's $12M deal, move Beckham back to 3B, sign a 1B/DH on the cheap probably someone like Branyan who's getting no attention in free agency and will end up making very little in 2010. Teahen's added to the DH clusterf*** I suppose as well as a decent option off the bench.

I'd take Lincecum first, if we are just doing position players then I'd take Mauer. Like Kalapse I am wondering if we have to pay the dropped guys' salary. If not, drop Konerko. If so, there are multiple guys on the 40-man making the minimum who I wouldn't care to lose

If I'm playing for one year, I'll take Ichiro to hit in front of Beckham and play RF. Discard Lillibridge, or Pierre if we need to dump someone from the active roster.

If I'm playing for the long-term future, then I'm a little torn between Evan Longoria, Justin Upton, Pablo Sandoval, Grady Sizemore, Prince Fielder, David Wright, Hanley Ramirez, and that guy in STL.

Edwin Jackson for Freddy Garcia.

Rotation becomes: Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Jackson, pretty sick.

Juan Uribe for Omar Vizquel. Uribe on the bench.

Dunn for Lillibridge, put Dunn at either 1B and have Konerko DH, or put Dunn at RF and have Quentin DH.

Sign free agent Fernando Rodney, discard Scott Linebrink.

Sign free agent Darren Oliver, discard Randy Williams.

Roster:

Lineup

1. Pierre LF

2. Alexei SS

3. Quentin DH

4. Dunn RF

5. Beckham 2B

6. Konerko 1B

7. Rios CF

8. Pierzynski C

9. Teahen 3B

Bench:

10. Kotsay

11. Nix

12. Uribe

13. Jones

14. Castro

Rotation:

15. Peavy R

16. Buehrle L

17. Floyd R

18. Danks L

19. Jackson R

Bullpen

20. Jenks R Closer

21. Thornton L Set-up

22. Rodney R Set-up

23. Putz R MR

24. Oliver L MR

25. Torres R LR

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Edwin Jackson for Freddy Garcia.

Rotation becomes: Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Jackson, pretty sick.

Juan Uribe for Omar Vizquel. Uribe on the bench.

Dunn for Lillibridge, put Dunn at either 1B and have Konerko DH, or put Dunn at RF and have Quentin DH.

Sign free agent Fernando Rodney, discard Scott Linebrink.

Sign free agent Darren Oliver, discard Randy Williams.

Roster:

Lineup

1. Pierre LF

2. Alexei SS

3. Quentin DH

4. Dunn RF

5. Beckham 2B

6. Konerko 1B

7. Rios CF

8. Pierzynski C

9. Teahen 3B

Bench:

10. Kotsay

11. Nix

12. Uribe

13. Jones

14. Castro

Rotation:

15. Peavy R

16. Buehrle L

17. Floyd R

18. Danks L

19. Jackson R

Bullpen

20. Jenks R Closer

21. Thornton L Set-up

22. Rodney R Set-up

23. Putz R MR

24. Oliver L MR

25. Torres R LR

I like it all, but you're supposed to just make ONE move :)

Grady Sizemore for Juan Pierre. There I solved our leadoff problem with a bunch of other problems with a stud (though Grady can bat 3rd in my lineup anyday). I would do Hanley for ADD Alexei as well. In fact.. that might make the most sense. I'll also give some love for Matt Weiters for A.J. or Nick Markakis for Pierre (Q back to LF)

Adam Dunn is really the missing piece to the puzzle.. he's literally the PERFECT fit... power, lefty bat who draws a lot of walks... could hit 50+ homers in The Cell... could play a little first or LF and DH...

He's also in the final year of the short contract with the Nationals and I assume could be had if the package is right... what does everyone think it would take to land him? Morel and Retherford? Retherford and a pitcher?

QUOTE (AJ Hellraiser @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
Adam Dunn is really the missing piece to the puzzle.. he's literally the PERFECT fit... power, lefty bat who draws a lot of walks... could hit 50+ homers in The Cell... could play a little first or LF and DH...

He's also in the final year of the short contract with the Nationals and I assume could be had if the package is right... what does everyone think it would take to land him? Morel and Retherford? Retherford and a pitcher?

What we trade away isn't the issue - it is his $12M salary in 2010. Unless WAS sends back money with him, its not even a consideration for the Sox.

QUOTE (AJ Hellraiser @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)

I'd like him but does he strike out too much?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
Actually, the perfect guy is Joey Votto.

I don't even want to imagine the cost for Votto. Out of the 3 guys I would want (Votto, Gonzalez, Fielder), Fielder would be cheapest, then Gonzalez, then Votto would be all our top prospects.