Dye talking to Cubs and Padres

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 07:19 AM)
Dye would struggle in the Wrigley RF defensively, but offensively, I think he might be better than anyone else in the Cubs OF.

Well, that's not setting the bar very high.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
Frankly, there's one other answer; defense.

And the fact that Jones signed for so cheap we can dump him if need be.

I took the comment to mean that JD would be the best outfielder they had if he joined.

Offensively, he would be (if the end of 2009 wasn't a sign of things to come).

Defensively, Fukudome is better than JD right now IMO. JD's legs looked shot last year - if he can rebound from whatever leg problems he may have had, he'd still be a solid OF, but not like he's been in the past.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
Yes but why sign a guy like Jones over Dye? Money? I think we could sign Dye on the relative cheap. Unless he'd be all upset and is bound and determined to play elsewhere.

Dye turned down $3ish million from Texas. That means he is still looking for more money, and this is a month after the Sox signed Jones. How much is Dye looking for? $5 million? At that point you are talking about enough money that signed Jones, Putz, and Mark Kotsay. That's why they signed Jones. They had an entire bench essentially to build, plus a pen.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
I took the comment to mean that JD would be the best outfielder they had if he joined.

Offensively, he would be (if the end of 2009 wasn't a sign of things to come).

Defensively, Fukudome is better than JD right now IMO. JD's legs looked shot last year - if he can rebound from whatever leg problems he may have had, he'd still be a solid OF, but not like he's been in the past.

My post:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 07:19 AM)
Dye would struggle in the Wrigley RF defensively, but offensively, I think he might be better than anyone else in the Cubs OF.

One other comment on the Cubs here...after all of the Bradley escapades last year, it seems like the Cubs have totally forgotten the reasons why they signed him in the first place. Their 2007-2008 lineup was lacking 2 things: OBP and power from the LH side. Bradley blew up and provided neither of those at a high cost. Their solutions to that issue for this year are seemingly; Carlos Silva and Jermaine Dye. Yeah, that'll do.

On an NL team, Dye has little to no value because of his bad defense. His bat won't be as effective anymore as he's starting to regress. The second half of last year showed that.

So if any NL team is willing to pay him money, let them do it. He'd make a decent DH, but not a decent RF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
One other comment on the Cubs here...after all of the Bradley escapades last year, it seems like the Cubs have totally forgotten the reasons why they signed him in the first place. Their 2007-2008 lineup was lacking 2 things: OBP and power from the LH side. Bradley blew up and provided neither of those at a high cost. Their solutions to that issue for this year are seemingly; Carlos Silva and Jermaine Dye. Yeah, that'll do.

He still had a .378 OBP which is pretty good considering his average, his career OBP is .371 so cant say he didnt provide that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
Yes but why sign a guy like Jones over Dye? Money? I think we could sign Dye on the relative cheap. Unless he'd be all upset and is bound and determined to play elsewhere.

Because Dye was willing to sign for next to nothing and accept a greatly reduced role where most of his PA's will come from the DH spot?

Jones was super cheap, willing to play wherever the Sox wish and accept ~300 PA in 2010. Dye's still looking for a starting outfield job and a lucrative contract, I can't imagine what he was asking for 2 months ago when Jones was inked.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
Dye turned down $3ish million from Texas. That means he is still looking for more money,

I would agree for 99% of the players out there. Dye has shown that money is not always his #1 concern. Likely it is, but in this case, possible not.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
I would agree for 99% of the players out there. Dye has shown that money is not always his #1 concern. Likely it is, but in this case, possible not.

He showed his word meant more than money. He hasn't agree in principal with anyone yet, so that kind of makes that situation moot.