Little competition for Randy Williams

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...s-williams.html

Little competition for White Sox's Williams

January 19, 2010 7:28 AM | 1 Comment | UPDATED STORY

By Mark Gonzales

Randy Williams started the 2009 season as a non-roster invitee, but finished the final two months with the White Sox despite a rocky August.

It appears Williams is a lock as the second left-handed reliever to Matt Thornton unless non-roster invitee Erick Threets harnesses the wildness and overcomes the injuries that have stunted his development with the San Francisco Giants' and the Los Angeles Dodgers' organizations.

Threets, 29, was throwing as hard as 97 mph in 1997 and made 10 appearances with the Giants in 2007-08. He struck out seven, but walked 12 in 12 1/3 innings.

Last year, Threets struck out 28 but walked 16 in 41 1/3 innings for Triple-A Albuquerque. He could be one of pitching coach Don Cooper's prime spring-training projects.

Threets missed all of 2004 because of an arm injury.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
Randy Williams last year at Yankee Stadium was the worst ever, I hope he does not make this team.

Take away his 2 outings at Yankee Stadium and his seasonal numbers are: 1.08 WHIP, 1.08 ERA and 11.3 K/9 in 16.2 IP. He did have a .162/.279/.270/.549 line against lefties overall.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
Take away his 2 outings at Yankee Stadium and his seasonal numbers are: 1.08 WHIP, 1.08 ERA and 11.3 K/9 in 16.2 IP. He did have a .162/.279/.270/.549 line against lefties overall.

To my eye RAAAAAAAAANDY was just laying it in there late last season.

I expect the hitters to catch up to him in 2010.

The Sox won the World Series on the backs of three relievers (Cotts, Politte, Hermanson) that were just throwing first ball strikes and constantly challenging hitters; it isn't a terrible strategy but it is very difficult to sustain long term success without being able to make hitters miss... at least from time to time.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
To my eye RAAAAAAAAANDY was just laying it in there late last season.

I expect the hitters to catch up to him in 2010.

The Sox won the World Series on the backs of three relievers (Cotts, Politte, Hermanson) that were just throwing first ball strikes and constantly challenging hitters; it isn't a terrible strategy but it is very difficult to sustain long term success without being able to make hitters miss... at least from time to time.

Id agree with that, they had just never seen him before. They will figure him out ala Shingo in 2005.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)

If he can be used as a strict LOOGY, Williams is fine by me. The problem is a real DH is far more valuable than a LOOGY, and I think an extra bat off the bench is more valuable than a LOOGY too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 01:50 AM)
If he can be used as a strict LOOGY, Williams is fine by me. The problem is a real DH is far more valuable than a LOOGY, and I think an extra bat off the bench is more valuable than a LOOGY too.

The big problem to my eyes winds up being that KW keeps giving Ozzie guys with reasonably solid splits against LH batters and terrible splits against RH batters, and Ozzie insists that if he's bringing a guy in he needs to be able to get out hitters from both sides.