Sox agree to terms with John Danks

Steve9347

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
DH spot has been productive and such a part of past successes I cant believe they'd ignore it now

The danks deal puts us at like $99.5 Mil before we have to pay our 4 guys that will make the league min. That will put is right at like $101 mil. I doubt that there is still $4-6M sitting there for the DH position. JR has said if something too good to pass up comes along then the $$ will be there, but nothing on the FA market for a DH at the moment would qualify as too good to pass up. If Thome or Blalock asks for like 1 Year 2Mil...maybe I could see the sox pulling the trigger but I dont think they even looking to spend $5 Mil on a DH at this point.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
The danks deal puts us at like $99.5 Mil before we have to pay our 4 guys that will make the league min. That will put is right at like $101 mil. I doubt that there is still $4-6M sitting there for the DH position. JR has said if something too good to pass up comes along then the $$ will be there, but nothing on the FA market for a DH at the moment would qualify as too good to pass up. If Thome or Blalock asks for like 1 Year 2Mil...maybe I could see the sox pulling the trigger but I dont think they even looking to spend $5 Mil on a DH at this point.

They wont have to

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
to me, its not a matter of too good to pass up, its amatter of would you rather start with a 104 million dollar team with a better shot at winning the division, or a 101 million dollar team with a huge hole

I really hope the reason they are holding out is because they think they still have a chance to complete a trade. Otherwise, I couldn't agree more with you...it would be unforgivable in my eyes to not sign Thome at what is probably $2-3 million at this point.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
I hear Jim Edmonds is looking for work.

I wanted him as part of a CF platoon last season. Given how productive he was with the Cubs in '08 I'd take him over what we have right now. He put up something like a .950 OPS against right handed pitching as a member of the Cubs.

There hasn't been an surprises in the contracts, so they are still working with about the same money as at the start of the season. If anything, this may make it easier if they werre hanging some DH money aside incase it took more for these guys.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
There hasn't been an surprises in the contracts, so they are still working with about the same money as at the start of the season. If anything, this may make it easier if they werre hanging some DH money aside incase it took more for these guys.

I hope we still sign Danks long term after this physical tomorrow, if he keeps turning us down on an extension, KW is going to get mad and trade him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
I wanted him as part of a CF platoon last season. Given how productive he was with the Cubs in '08 I'd take him over what we have right now. He put up something like a .950 OPS against right handed pitching as a member of the Cubs.

absolutely ....his departure was one of the big differences in their 08 and 09 teams that went largely unnoticed with the attention trading DeRosa, signing bradley, and the awful play of soriano and soto all got

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
Jim Thome $2M with $1M in incentives anyone?

I suppose the one fearsome part about his lowered value would be it can open up the possibility of him agreeing to be a PH for $1M to an upper echelon contender.

I would think he cares more about a potential ring than the HR totals.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
I suppose the one fearsome part about his lowered value would be it can open up the possibility of him agreeing to be a PH for $1M to an upper echelon contender.

With a legitimate DH, the Sox can be just that contender. Thome can be that DH, along with what I assume would be more AB's than he would get as a PH for anyone else. I read somewhere that Paulie, Thome, and Beckham were doing a signing around these parts sometime soon. I'd like to think that Thome enjoyed his time here, and should an inoffensive offer be floated his way, he would take it. I have absolutley nothing to base this off either, but I think the Sox would do better, even if not by much, than 1M. Ozzie wants a rotating DH? Jones, Kotsay, and Thome more than qualify, and with the addition of Thome, we can count on more than a few leaving the yard than we could without him.

I agree, some other guys might take more money for less work with the chance for a ring, but I don't think Thome is that guy.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)

Paul Cohen, the agent for Jim Edmonds, said it's "better than 50-50'' that Edmonds signs with someone by the end of next week. The Cardinals are one of the teams in the mix for the four-time All-Star, who didn't play in 2009 after splitting 2008 with the Padres and Cubs. Edmonds, who will be 40 on June 27, has been working out all winter with the goal of landing somewhere. per Jon Heyman

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)

Thome didn't pinch hit well for the Dodgers, and, even though it's an extremely small sample size (as all pinch hitting is), he's never been good at it. The Sox also proved last year that if they don't have a shot at making it to the postseason, they'll deal Jim to a team that both wants him and has a chance at winning a World Series.

I would imagine Thome's priorities when it comes to playing now involve playing everyday somewhere close to home -> playing everyday -> winning a ring. And he might value playing everyday above winning a ring.

It's not early in the offseason anymore, and with Soxfest happening this weekend, I doubt that it will actually happen.