I LIKE THIS TRADE

Soxplosion

I think this was a seriously good trade. First off, Foulke is shaky and he just didnt have it last year and I think thats why we were out of the race so quick. Too many games blown late. MJ was a piece of s*** and Im glad well never have to see him in a Sox uniform again. I cant stand his pathetic bat and weak arm. Now Miguel shall get his chance. Then theres Valentine. This is the only possible downside to this trade, IMO. He had a great year but he truly stunk it up in the AFL and he was hurt. We also have plenty of minor league relief depth. We got Almonte, Munoz, Ulacia, Ring and many others. So, in the long run, I doubt hes much of a loss. And as for Koch, this guy is amazing. He can just blow people away with that great heater. As long as he doesnt return to his 2001 form (4.80 ERA) weve got the best of Mr Beane. And with the two ptbnls they dont really matter. They are simply sweeteners. If they turn out well, great, if they dont, no big deal. So KW, you deserve a pat on the back, very good job on this trade...

Originally posted by theoldroman

I think this was a seriously good trade. First off, Foulke is shaky and he just didnt have it last year and I think thats why we were out of the race so quick. Too many games blown late. MJ was a piece of s*** and Im glad well never have to see him in a Sox uniform again. I cant stand his pathetic bat and weak arm. Now Miguel shall get his chance. Then theres Valentine. This is the only possible downside to this trade, IMO. He had a great year but he truly stunk it up in the AFL and he was hurt. We also have plenty of minor league relief depth. We got Almonte, Munoz, Ulacia, Ring and many others. So, in the long run, I doubt hes much of a loss. And as for Koch, this guy is amazing. He can just blow people away with that great heater. As long as he doesnt return to his 2001 form (4.80 ERA) weve got the best of Mr Beane. And with the two ptbnls they dont really matter. They are simply sweeteners. If they turn out well, great, if they dont, no big deal. So KW, you deserve a pat on the back, very good job on this trade...

I'm glad someone sees it my way.

Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I'm glad someone sees it my way.

Don't worry, Mike. I see it your way too.

I like it too...just not giving up Valentine. I would have rather given up Stewart and Sanders than Valentine...Valentine is a stud and will be a huge factor for the A's in the future.

And I think the A's may not be done with those guys...Valentine and Johnson are there to stay. However, I am thinking that they may deal Foulke elsewhere...a team with some good prospects that needs a good closer/middle reliever...

The Phillies could use a better closer than Jose Mesa...and if Smoltz in Atlanta is serious about becoming a starter again, Foulkey could go there...Boston and Texas too...

And the Cubbies.......................

I dont see how so many people can dislike this trade. Ill bet many haters of this trade will convert, I know cwsox and wsf are starting to like this trade and Im sure many others will come.

Alot of people liked the toad Ritchie trade too last year buying KW's "veteran starter..... innings-eater" BS. We shall see.

Originally posted by CubKilla

Alot of people liked the toad Ritchie trade too last year buying KW's "veteran starter..... innings-eater" BS. We shall see. 

Last year though KW gave up 1 pitcher that had been highly touted, 1 good pitcher who could be used for anything, and 1 pitcher who was a decent prospect. We got a mediocre to good starting pitcher in return....Dave Littlefield screwed KW royally in that trade.

This year KW gave up a closer/set up man who is going to make $6 million next year, a catcher who will never be better than a backup and a very, very promising, but just recently banged up, relief pitcher in the minor leagues who is still unproven(and it's not like the Sox still have a boat load of other prospects) for a closer who will be making about $2.5 million next year with the possibility of his salary doubling.

I really, really liked Valentine....I thought he was going to be great for us...maybe he still will be. But I really like this trade because we get a closer who can close out a game for us with or without his good stuff...you saw what happened in Seattle in the 3rd game of the year with Foulke closing it out...he gave up a 3-run lead in the 9th without his good stuff. That's the kind of s*** that can happen...Koch would just blow his gas by them...if they hit a homer, so be it...we still would have been up by 2...and if they hit another homer, we would have been up by 1...he could have given up 4 homers...what are the odds of that? You just won't get a string of hits against Koch...the only way you will get a lot of baserunners is by having him walk them on.

I'd call it a wash at the worst(right now...hindsight is always 20-20). I would like to say that I believe KW is taking a step in the right direction to becoming a decent GM....he's still on my X-Mas s*** list though...any moron can make a good trade now and then...

Originally posted by CubKilla

I dont see how so many people can dislike this trade. Ill bet many haters of this trade will convert, I know cwsox and wsf are starting to like this trade and Im sure many others will come.

I remember a lot of people liking that move and I was the one person who complained about Kip Wells being in that deal. Baggio complained about that too. Most others were talking about how great Ritchie was.

I didn't whine about Lowe and I liked Fogg, but I didn't whine about him. Lowe failed, Fogg was decent, but would never of done anything with the Sox, and I don't think he'll be anything other then an avg. player on a bad Pirates team.