Tim Tebow to appear in anti-abortion Super Bowl ad

Balta1701

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
No, I mean an ad actively promoting promiscuous sex and pregnancy outside of committed relationships because, hey, you never know! You kid could be a star!

It makes as much sense as the logic behind this ad.

That sounds like most shows on TV now...

Pam's story certainly is moving. But as a guide to making abortion decisions, it's misleading. Doctors are right to worry about continuing pregnancies like hers. Placental abruption has killed thousands of women and fetuses. No doubt some of these women trusted in God and said no to abortion, as she did. But they didn't end up with Heisman-winning sons. They ended up dead.

LINK

The major broadcast networks have avoided political advocacy ads for years, so CBS's decision to air the Tebow ad caught abortion rights advocates off guard. But Focus on the Family, the Colorado Springs-based conservative Christian group founded by Dr. James Dobson, says that it has actually been working closely with CBS executives for months on the ad's script.

"There were discussions about the specific wording of the spot," said Gary Schneeberger, spokesperson for Focus on the Family. "And we came to a compromise. To an agreement." Schneeberger declined to comment on exactly how CBS changed the ad's message.

CBS has said that in the last year, in an acknowledgment of "industry norms," it loosened previous restrictions on advocacy advertisements, accepting ads that pushed for health reform and environmental activism.

But pro-choice advocates complain the network didn't publicize the policy change and hasn't applied it consistently, citing a rejected Super Bowl ad from gay dating Web site ManCrunch.com. According to Schneeberger, Focus on the Family was not aware of an explicit policy change inside the network, either. "It was only last week that they indicated that they changed any policy," he said.

"We've worked with [CBS] almost since the beginning," Schneeberger added. "Our senior vice presidents talked to CBS executives throughout the process. It was a very cordial, very professional, fruitful relationship."

CBS declined to comment on the details of its work with Focus on the Family on the Tebow ad, but said such cooperation is not unusual. Abortion rights advocates see it differently. If CBS did vet scripts for the ad, the cooperation is "appalling," said Terry O'Neill, president of the National Organization for Women. "If true, CBS is not just selling ad time for profit, but has been affirmatively working hand-in-glove—in secret—to promote Focus on the Family's agenda. When you recall that Focus on the Family wants to overturn Roe v. Wade…this revelation is extremely, extremely disturbing."

Link

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
I guess you can ignore the fact that this particular circumstance kills the mother in many cases too.

Mothers and fathers have risked their lives for their children. That use to be honorable.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
What percentage of abortions are we talking about where the mother is actually in danger?

Probably a pretty high % when this happens:

she contracted amoebic dysentery and went in a coma shortly before the pregnancy. To facilitate her recovery, she was given heavy-duty drugs. Afterward, doctors told her the fetus was damaged. They diagnosed her with placental abruption, a premature separation of the placenta from the uterine wall.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
What percentage of abortions are we talking about where the mother is actually in danger?

Here's the percentages the article gives: Burkina Faso, a 2003 review of 177 abrupted pregnancies reported a maternal death rate of 4 percent. In Pakistan, a 2009 review of 106 cases found a maternal death rate of 5 percent.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Here's the percentages the article gives: Burkina Faso, a 2003 review of 177 abrupted pregnancies reported a maternal death rate of 4 percent. In Pakistan, a 2009 review of 106 cases found a maternal death rate of 5 percent.

More than mortality rates in this specific case, I wonder how many abortions are done with people whose lives are actually in danger.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
I wonder if the ad will mention that Mrs Tebow did not have a choice in the first place since abortion was and I believe still is illegal in the Philippines.

ah yes, Gloria Alred claims she will lodge a complaint with the FCC and FTC "if this ad airs and fails to disclose that abortions were illegal at the time Ms. Tebow made her choice," Amazing....

BTW, Seventy percent of unwanted pregnancies in the Philippines end in abortion said Jean-Marc Olivé, the country representative of the World Health Organization. I also suppose Ms Tebow could have came to the US for an abortion....but grasp grasp grasp.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
ah yes, Gloria Alred claims she will lodge a complaint with the FCC and FTC "if this ad airs and fails to disclose that abortions were illegal at the time Ms. Tebow made her choice," Amazing....

BTW, Seventy percent of unwanted pregnancies in the Philippines end in abortion said Jean-Marc Olivé, the country representative of the World Health Organization. I also suppose Ms Tebow could have came to the US for an abortion....but grasp grasp grasp.

Well then I hope you feel great inside when some women in similar circumstances decide to follow Pam Tebow's lead by ignoring sound medical advice and wind up dead.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
Well then I hope you feel great inside when some women in similar circumstances decide to follow Pam Tebow's lead by ignoring sound medical advice and wind up dead.

I know it is hard to understand, but many people feel that exact thing for baby's who wind up dead for no other reason than because.

Nothing in life is 100% certain. You have to make your own decisions. The mother made that choice, knowing the risk, she has to live, or die with that decision.

I won't feel great inside if she should die, anymore than you will fell great inside when she aborts. Well maybe you would, I don't know.

I would, without hesitation, give up my life for my son or daughter. You may think that is crazy, but that is how I choose to live my life. When I read, see, or hear stories about parents who make that choice, I understand. You don't understand. You probably do not have kids.

Would the sound medical advice be you have a 4% chance of dying if you carry this child to term? At what percentage would you say it is ok to carry? 3%? 2%? 1%? 0%

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Yeah that was a very inoffensive, non-controversial commercial, to the point where the message wasn't even obvious... honestly it made everyone who made such a big deal out of it look kind of foolish.

Hah, thanks! ;)