Tim Tebow to appear in anti-abortion Super Bowl ad

Balta1701

And for the record I'm not a pro-life guy. I just think it's hilarious that when people even hint at being on that side of the aisle, without preaching to anyone about abortion being murder or whatever, it's instantly an awful thing. My god, how awful it is to advocate the position that babies are awesome and wonderful!

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
Ultimately that's what bothers me about this. It assumes that women make this choice so flippantly that a celebrity could change their mind. Of the women I've known to have an abortion all undertook it seriously, with great thought. This isn't something that people decide based on a commercial or celebrity. To me, it's offensive that people think most women would undergo an abortion without any serious consideration.

There is a portion of the population that views abortion as more or less the last step in birth control. I don't know how significant it is, but it exists.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Ultimately that's what bothers me about this. It assumes that women make this choice so flippantly that a celebrity could change their mind. Of the women I've known to have an abortion all undertook it seriously, with great thought. This isn't something that people decide based on a commercial or celebrity. To me, it's offensive that people think most women would undergo an abortion without any serious consideration.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
In fact I do. I think a lot of young women think of it as a simple procedure, and only later reflect on the decision they made. Studies have shown that women who have abortions succomb to depression and anxiety after the fact, sometimes long after the fact. Adding yet another reminder that it's a serious choice isn't a horrible thing IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
There is a portion of the population that views abortion as more or less the last step in birth control. I don't know how significant it is, but it exists.

Apropos of nothing...if the names were taken off of these 3 replies, could you pick out the woman from the men?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
How about because I know someone personally who did exactly what is being referenced there?

So are you saying a message from Tim Tebow during the Super Bowl might have been helpful to your friend?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
So are you saying a message from Tim Tebow during the Super Bowl might have been helpful to your friend?

Is that really the requirement? Cuz I tell you what, having a bunch of celebrities tell me to give money for Haiti relief didn't do a damned thing for me, guess that was a waste of their time huh?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Is that really the requirement? Cuz I tell you what, having a bunch of celebrities tell me to give money for Haiti relief didn't do a damned thing for me, guess that was a waste of their time huh?

So far that telethon has raised $60 million or so.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
so then it's not unreasonable to think that the Tebow's message might resonate with some women out there?

So, getting an abortion is equivalent to giving $20 to charity?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
In fact I do. I think a lot of young women think of it as a simple procedure, and only later reflect on the decision they made. Studies have shown that women who have abortions succomb to depression and anxiety after the fact, sometimes long after the fact. Adding yet another reminder that it's a serious choice isn't a horrible thing IMO.

I don't have any problem with the Tebow's message if it is a simple pro-life message. But assuming the commercial is NOT a simple pro-life message, but instead one that involves risk to the fetus and/or mother, do you really think young women who might undergo an abortion because it is "just a simple procedure" are the ones it is targeting?

The only thing that really bothers me here is the network's seeming double standard on what ads it runs.

As for Tim Tebow's ad being useful... smart women will think for themselves, talk to experts, talk to family and friends, etc. Women not so smart will make the decision lightly, and probably not care about Tim Tebow either. I have no idea the percentage of each. But either way, I don't see Tim Tebow making any difference whatsoever.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
The only thing that really bothers me here is the network's seeming double standard on what ads it runs.

As for Tim Tebow's ad being useful... smart women will think for themselves, talk to experts, talk to family and friends, etc. Women not so smart will make the decision lightly, and probably not care about Tim Tebow either. I have no idea the percentage of each. But either way, I don't see Tim Tebow making any difference whatsoever.

You are probably right, I don't think the actual commercial will affect many people in the end, either. But the presumption that it can and should really ticks me off. And you guys know I don't come back here often. I'm not one that loses too much sleep over politics or the like. But this really makes my skin crawl...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
I don't have any problem with the Tebow's message if it is a simple pro-life message. But assuming the commercial is NOT a simple pro-life message, but instead one that involves risk to the fetus and/or mother, do you really think young women who might undergo an abortion because it is "just a simple procedure" are the ones it is targeting?

I don't think they're targeting any specific group. For the money they're spending I think it's going to be a more general "hey abortion isn't always the best route" message that could be applicable to a lot of people. I dunno why having such a message requires that you target a specific group.

I completely disagree about this not having some affect. It's a real life example that is going to resonate with some people to act different, and reenforce beliefs in others. If it was so clear that their story would fall on deaf ears, I highly doubt Focus on the Family would waste the money.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
I completely disagree about this not having some affect. It's a real life example that is going to resonate with some people to act different, and reenforce beliefs in others. If it was so clear that their story would fall on deaf ears, I highly doubt Focus on the Family would waste the money.

Hah! That's like saying dot coms would never spend 30% of their investment capital to run a commercial during Super Bowl XXXIV :)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
How will Focus on the Family feel if major birth defects increase in 2010 because of Mrs Tebow's example of ignoring medical opinions?

Honestly, most serious birth defects are spontenously aborted.

If this ad is effective (which it won't be) the biggest consequence of this will be more dead mothers/babies/babies with complications during delivery.

Completely unrelated trivia:

Also, anyone know what one of the greatest predictor of serious mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar, anorexia) is?

Complications during birth.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
Honestly, most serious birth defects are spontenously aborted.

If this ad is effective (which it won't be) the biggest consequence of this will be more dead mothers/babies/babies with complications during delivery.

Completely unrelated trivia:

Also, anyone know what one of the greatest predictor of serious mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar, anorexia) is?

Complications during birth.

I'm going to say. . . what is complications at birth. What do I win, Mr. Trebek?

:)

A mother risking her life to save her child. It's going to happen. People risk their lives to save total strangers. I doubt a Doctor would recommend risking your life to save another. But it happens, and will continue to happen. Sometimes it will work out, other times it will not. We can try and hide the stories of when it works out, perhaps call those women idiots. But tomorrow, another mother will risk her life to save her baby.

Some will view it as honorable, even noble. Others will call her an idiot for risking her life. Tell her she should have played it safe and not risk her life. And tomorrow another mother will risk her life to save her baby. It's just what some mothers do. Who or what inspired Ms. Tebow? Perhaps nothing, it may just be what some mothers do.

Will she do it because of the Tebow story? I really doubt it. There is a much stronger human emotion in some people to save their baby.

To me the story is she risked her life to save her baby. Perhaps that is too dangerous a story to have told. Perhaps people will die if they hear her story. But I doubt it. There are movies, books, newspaper articles, tv shows, all with the theme of a mother risking everything to save her baby. But we get all worked up because it is a :30 second commercial during the Super Bowl.

I am certain everyone here would not want their own mother to risk her life to save them, but some mother's will. Not because of Tebow's story. But because that is what some mother's do.

I think you're mixing things up here. Jumping into a lake to save a drowning baby is one thing. Having a doctor show you an ultrasound with alarming abnormalities is something entirely different.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
I think you're mixing things up here. Jumping into a lake to save a drowning baby is one thing. Having a doctor show you an ultrasound with alarming abnormalities is something entirely different.

Earlier it was mentioned that someone would carry a baby and risk their own health, perhaps dying.

And I will not judge a family that accepts a special needs child into their lives. It is about the most terribly stressful thing I can imagine. I see many kids down the hallway from me who some people here would probably think should have been aborted. I just can not make that judgement for someone else and I don't think it is appropriate for someone else to make it for them.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Earlier it was mentioned that someone would carry a baby and risk their own health, perhaps dying.

And I will not judge a family that accepts a special needs child into their lives. It is about the most terribly stressful thing I can imagine. I see many kids down the hallway from me who some people here would probably think should have been aborted. I just can not make that judgement for someone else and I don't think it is appropriate for someone else to make it for them.

Unless they are the Tebow family on Super Bowl Sunday.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
A mother risking her life to save her child. It's going to happen. People risk their lives to save total strangers. I doubt a Doctor would recommend risking your life to save another. But it happens, and will continue to happen. Sometimes it will work out, other times it will not. We can try and hide the stories of when it works out, perhaps call those women idiots. But tomorrow, another mother will risk her life to save her baby.

Some will view it as honorable, even noble. Others will call her an idiot for risking her life. Tell her she should have played it safe and not risk her life. And tomorrow another mother will risk her life to save her baby. It's just what some mothers do. Who or what inspired Ms. Tebow? Perhaps nothing, it may just be what some mothers do.

Will she do it because of the Tebow story? I really doubt it. There is a much stronger human emotion in some people to save their baby.

To me the story is she risked her life to save her baby. Perhaps that is too dangerous a story to have told. Perhaps people will die if they hear her story. But I doubt it. There are movies, books, newspaper articles, tv shows, all with the theme of a mother risking everything to save her baby. But we get all worked up because it is a :30 second commercial during the Super Bowl.

I am certain everyone here would not want their own mother to risk her life to save them, but some mother's will. Not because of Tebow's story. But because that is what some mother's do.

When will you grasp that what we are arguing is NOT that this message should not be shared, but that it should NOT be shared in a 30-second commercial where it cannot be adequately, responsibly, and respectfully shared. You seem to be completely missing the point here.