Soxfest 2010

Soxpride724

Hey everyone long time lurker and new poster here. I will be attending Soxfest this weekend, and am curious who here will be going? I have not attended this event in years, and I was wondering how the event is now that it is at the Palmer House?

Edited by Soxpride724

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxpride724 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
Hey everyone long time lurker and new poster here. I will be attending Soxfest this weekend, and am curious who here will be going? I have not attended this event in years, and I was wondering how the event is now that it is at the Palmer House?

Welcome to Soxtalk.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
I went last year...going again this year.

I had fun last year. Are you into autographs? If so, then its a little bit of a rat race. Otherwise, the hotel is nice and its always fun to be surrounded by Sox fans.

Here is a link to the schedule.

Schedule

How is the garage sale? I have attended the garage sale before at the ball park, is it the same as Soxfest? I think I will be looking into getting a few autographs, although I do not want to waste the entire day waiting in line for an autograph. One item I am looking for at Soxfest will be the original Comiskey Park bricks. I know they sold them at the event in the past, any idea if they are still selling them?

I've taken a couple years off, but going again this year on Sunday...mainly to get Garcia auto on '05 WS Ball to complete my set :headbang That being said, I'm hoping it's a lot less of a clusterf*#% since the years right after the series win. I'm thinking it will still be over-sold though, with no organization whatsoever. Soxfest can really bring out the bad side of some fans and the organization, but overall can be an enjoyable experience depending on what you expect to get out of it.

QUOTE (Soxpride724 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
How is the garage sale? I have attended the garage sale before at the ball park, is it the same as Soxfest? I think I will be looking into getting a few autographs, although I do not want to waste the entire day waiting in line for an autograph. One item I am looking for at Soxfest will be the original Comiskey Park bricks. I know they sold them at the event in the past, any idea if they are still selling them?

The garage sale has old bats, helmets, jerseys...etc for sale.

A guy I saw last year bought a John Danks broken bat and had him sign it...thought that was kind of cool.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Does anyone know what floor the Garage Sale is on? I noticed that they spread it out over like 3 levels.

It was on one level last year.

Anyone know if you can cut a line, with the premium pass, while you have a wristband on for another autograph?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
It was on one level last year.

Anyone know if you can cut a line, with the premium pass, while you have a wristband on for another autograph?

Thanks. I figured it would be on Level 1.

My guess would be no, only because they said 1 wristband per autograph, but it would definitely be worth it to ask someone there. Also, they probably use the wristbands to get the right number of autographs per session. (i.e. for a 300 auto limit...they have 300 wristbands) That is just my guess though.

Is it difficult to get from 1 session to the other with them being on different levels?

Edited by BFirebird

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Thanks. I figured it would be on Level 1.

My guess would be no, only because they said 1 wristband per autograph, but it would definitely be worth it to ask someone there. Also, they probably use the wristbands to get the right number of autographs per session. (i.e. for a 300 auto limit...they have 300 wristbands) That is just my guess though.

Is it difficult to get from 1 session to the other with them being on different levels?

Its not hard getting from level to level. Most everything is on about 3 levels...quick elevator ride to the other level.

As for the autograph, I have a premium pass, which allows me to cut 2 lines...one saturday, one sunday. So, there are differences, because there are going to actually be 300 regular autographs and then all the premium people.

Im going to Soxfest this year (sunday). It will be the first time i have gone since 2005...

2004- I met Rowand and Olivo. Rowand was probably the coolest player to talk to.

2005- I met Garland and Willie, this was before they signed Iguchi, so he was in line as our starting 2b, i told Willie if he would steal 40, he told me he would steal 70 lol. My friend asked Garland if he would win 20 games, he said he hopes so. Little did we know he would have a career year and Willie would be our backup infielder!

2010- Im hoping to meet Beckham, but i wouldnt be upset with Freddy or Danksy. . I really enjoy Soxfest. If your a diehard Sox fan you need to try it once. The Q & A session with Ozzie and KW is a fan favorite!! See you guys there!

Whoever is going, please do me the favor of booing and/or hissing loudly whenever the subject of a DH rotation comprised of players that can't hit (including, but not limited to, Oldman Vizquel) is discussed.

If given any grief, you can say I asked you to.

Thanks,

PSFnJ

QUOTE (Soxpride724 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
I'm not an autograph hound, and I don't need to collect one for each player present. With that being said, do you think it will be a pain getting a few autographs, maybe like three or four? I just don't want to spend the entire day waiting in line and end up missing the othe events.

Any insights on this appreciated, too. There was a reason why I always slept in on Black Friday....never wanted to fight through people shopping. I've never been to soxfest at the Palmer House so I don't know if everyone starts running at 9am to pick a booth and get a wristband.

To Soxpride724 - you'll be able to get autographs. However, if your goal is to get Buerhle, Konerko, Jenks autographs all in one day.......aint gonna happen. If you want guys like Minoso and Hawk and Skowron, you'll be able to get their autographs and probably hang out with them for a beer, too (I'm kidding)

I looked at the autograph schedule for Saturday morning and it looks like I have to pick between PK, Buerhle and Jenks to sign my 2005 banner. Can only get 1 guy not all 3.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)

I had the "MVP" pass 2 years ago, not a bad deal, definitely helps you get the most bang for your buck with autos. Here's the deal with the cutting line(s), when you check-in, they will give you a specific session that will enable you a short wait time (or access to cut) You do not get to choose what player you get, but you CAN have a wristband for another session on while in your specific "no wait" session. You gotta kinda plan it out, but you can get a lot of autos with the MVP. Tonight (Friday) is the best for autos for regular attendees or MVP holders. For those who have not been before, take what you are imagining, and then imagine 10x worse. People actually line-up in the hotel lobby from 3AM-4AM to be first in-line for the early autograph sessions. It's ludicrous. There was so many people waiting outside the gates 2 years ago, that they started to just hand-out wristbands in line. Bobby Jenks session was sold-out 15 minutes before the show even opened. People were pissed and I was one of them. Now hopefully, the Sox continue to learn how to make this a more enjoyable experience, and heaven forbid, actually organize a bit. I may be in fact wishful thinking however, because most employees that are hired to work this event just don't care. I find if I myself expect the worst, it can become somewhat enjoyable, and at the very least worth the effort.

BTW, anyone that is going all weekend and is planning to go through the various autograph lines.... I have some nice stuff to trade if interested. You are allowed 2 autographs per person after you obtain the wristband for a session.

Looking for Official MLB balls signed by Beckham, Alexei, and/or Peavy.

I have for trade:

Buehrle Official MLB ball-(signed with #56, doenst do that anymore)

Dye Official MLB signed ball

Jenks signed 16 x 20 photo-(jumping on mound after game 1 WS save)

Crede Official MLB signed ball

Ozzie Gullien bobblehead give-away from 2006 (rare)

WS Mini Replica trophy give-away from 2006 (RARE)

various others from past decade(s), just ask....

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
I had the "MVP" pass 2 years ago, not a bad deal, definitely helps you get the most bang for your buck with autos. Here's the deal with the cutting line(s), when you check-in, they will give you a specific session that will enable you a short wait time (or access to cut) You do not get to choose what player you get, but you CAN have a wristband for another session on while in your specific "no wait" session. You gotta kinda plan it out, but you can get a lot of autos with the MVP. Tonight (Friday) is the best for autos for regular attendees or MVP holders. For those who have not been before, take what you are imagining, and then imagine 10x worse. People actually line-up in the hotel lobby from 3AM-4AM to be first in-line for the early autograph sessions. It's ludicrous. There was so many people waiting outside the gates 2 years ago, that they started to just hand-out wristbands in line. Bobby Jenks session was sold-out 15 minutes before the show even opened. People were pissed and I was one of them. Now hopefully, the Sox continue to learn how to make this a more enjoyable experience, and heaven forbid, actually organize a bit. I may be in fact wishful thinking however, because most employees that are hired to work this event just don't care. I find if I myself expect the worst, it can become somewhat enjoyable, and at the very least worth the effort.

wow, 3AM.......I may, uh, just sell my weekend pass.

Some great quotes so far:

- Kenny says no Soxfest surprise

- Kenny says he wanted to bring in an ace so that Floyd/Danks can see what one does and how they go about the game

- Mark Gonzalez tweets that Jenks is in great shape and any negative feelings are past him