Official 2010 White Sox Bullpen Thread

soxfan3530

Ok so I know there is a probably dozens of different threads that have bullpen topics, but I didnt want to search all over the site for them. I figured we could have one big thread discussing the bullpen for the upcoming season. I know havent been able to keep up with this area of the team as much as I would have liked to, considering I think it could prove to be the biggest factor of our season. Everyone knows our starting pitching is stacked, but what does everyone think of the BP? Do you like it? Do you have concerns? How will the DH quandry affect it? I guess the Sox picked up Freddy Dolsi... I totally missed that somehow. What do people think will be the bullpen and how many will Ozzie carry?

Put your thoughts into words! :headbang

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Jenks - closer

Thornton - set up

Pena - 7th

Linebrink - 7th

Putz - 6th

Williams - loogy

Nunez - long relief

Assuming Putz is healthy enough to make the opening roster I don't think Nunez has any real chance at being in the bullpen. Id imagine it goes to Sanchez or Dolsi.

I'd give Carlos Torres the edge right now as the long reliever.

Torres, Williams, Pena, Linebrink, Putz, Thornton, Jenks.

Just because they have a really good starting rotation doesn't mean they won't need a guy to come in in the 3rd inning once in a while and give three or four innings. I think Torres fits that profile, and Hudson should start at AAA and be there if there is an injury or if Garcia tanks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
A 7-man bullpen is f***ing stupid for a team with an offense this weak and a rotation this strong.

Who gets the extra-spot on the bench? I'd bet you that unless Retherford hits hiss ass off in spring, it would be Lillibridge. Does that sound worth losing a spot in the pen for?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
Who gets the extra-spot on the bench? I'd bet you that unless Retherford hits hiss ass off in spring, it would be Lillibridge. Does that sound worth losing a spot in the pen for?

Juanny Damon

Well, we've got 5 definites in there:

Jenks

Thornton

Linebrink

Pena

Putz

Then two other slots, one of which inevitably will be a LOOGY, and a small chance the other spot may not exist:

Williams/Threets

Nunez/Hudson/Santeliz

Williams has the leg up on the LOOGY slot. I personally think a 6 man pen makes more sense, so I'd go with:

Jenks (CL)

Putz/Thornton (SU)

Linebrink/Pena (MR, occasional SU)

Williams (LOOGY)

And I'd work on Linebrink and Pena during ST to see which can handle going 2-3 innings, since none of those guys are long relievers.

But what will probably happen is the above, plus Nunez for the 7th spot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
You are like a broken record on him, and why do you keep calling him "Juanny"?

I know and I apologize. Keep hoping if I say it enough that it will come true.

Call him Juanny because I live out east and that's what they call him... he's a stud^3

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Thornton will be closing by season's end. I bet.

Cowley reporting that Jenks looks "at least" 25 pounds lighter as of today.

If anyone here is at Soxfest, post about how Jenks looks physically compared to last year please, I'd be interested in hearing about it

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Jenks - closer

Thornton - set up

Pena - 7th

Linebrink - 7th

Putz - 6th

Williams - loogy

Nunez - long relief

I think Putz and Thornton will sort of team up for the set up role, based on matchups and situation (if one guy needs a rest or has to give Jenks a day off). Of course, Putz still has to prove he can be counted on, but I think that's the expectation.

1) Putz

2) Thornton (L)

3) Linebrink

4) Pena

5) Williams (L)

6) Torres

7) Santos

Jenks traded, Hudson starting in AAA (up if any of the 5 starters injured)

I think Putz will be fine and even if he's not the "closer" right out of the gate (Guillen will want to mix-n-match like he wants with the DH), there are enough people that can cover the slack until he is fully ready...which again I think will be the start of the season.

All these Jenks has lost 25 lbs and "he is our closer" is aimed at increasing/keeping his value. Not sure what that value is but a team like Seattle could sure use a closer if they really have intentions of winning it all this year. I'm sure they have a couple pieces that would intrigue us.

Bullpens are so hard to call When you think they are going to be good they suck and when you think they will suck they work out fine. The same guys can do good one year bring them all back and they stink the next. Doubtful the 7th man will be Hudson. AAA unless needed to start. Don't have confidence in Linebrink or Williams but like Thornton and still like Jenks. Putz must be expected to contribute or they wouldn't have signed him. Over all not bad. Of course if starters can go deep into games everyone looks better.