The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

This would be the best thing ever! First the Sox wouldn't get him, thank god. Then, he would waste a roster spot for the Twins considering they have Kubel. Then, when he does play, he will only be a detriment to the team!! Make it happen baby!

I kinda agree - but not as far as this statement :P.

I just don't think the ANSWER is Thome. Of course I also don't think the answer is musical chairs with Kotsay/Jones/Randomity.

I also don't 100% believe in this rumor, just can't see why the twins would want this with what they have.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
I look forward to seeing Thome swing and miss at every high fastball that is thrown to him by Thornton

Do you also look forward to Andruw Jones swing and miss at every baseball that is thrown to him by everyone?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
If beard quality is your determining factor, yes. Or possibly speed. In every other way, this is a bizarre statement not founded in any sort of fact.

Kotsay has the contact skills and glove that Thome simply doesn't have. It's time to say goodbye the all-or-nothing power and walks that just set up a double play for the next hitter. With Kotsay, you'll have a DH that can field and you don't have to worry about all-or-nothing power because the "all" part will be gone (.372 SLG the last 3 years) and with his .315 OBP over his last 700 ABs he won't be setting up a double play for anyone. This will be much better than a guy who posted an .847 OPS last season.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
Kotsay @ 34>>>>>>>>>Thome @ 39/40 and its not even close in my opinion

Even despite the fact that Mark Kotsay hasn't had a good offensive season since 2004 and is no longer capable of playing good defense at any position except perhaps first base?

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
Kotsay has the contact skills and glove that Thome simply doesn't have. It's time to say goodbye the all-or-nothing power and walks that just set up a double play for the next hitter.

Uhhh, then you replace the next hitter, not the guy that gets on base.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
By the way this is the stupidest off-season since 2007. Pray we dont get the same result.

The scary thing is to think of how in game strategy is going to be affected by this new approach. Hopefully Beckham is as far away from the 2 hole as possible. Because Ozzie will have him bunting until he is blue in the face to advance his 2003 Marlins model. The amount of wasted outs bunting and caught stealing this year are going to be amazing. In 07 Ozzie has his pocket picked on plays all the time when he pretty much had a standard steal from first when there was 2 outs to help get a guy into scoring position. I remember Soscia calling pitch outs and having our runner get pegged a few times in the series because everyone knew it was coming.

The rotating DH can work if you have hitters not rotating bench guys.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
If beard quality is your determining factor, yes. Or possibly speed. In every other way, this is a bizarre statement not founded in any sort of fact.

I was thinking more along the lines of his wife :P. No but seriously I hate Jim Thome as a player and I don't think its any coincidence he has never been on a team to win it all. Same goes for Bonds, Sosa, McGwire etc. Home runs don't win championships, but hey that's just my opinion. And please don't get my started on his strikeouts and ground outs to second.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
The scary thing is to think of how in game strategy is going to be affected by this new approach. Hopefully Beckham is as far away from the 2 hole as possible. Because Ozzie will have him bunting until he is blue in the face to advance his 2003 Marlins model. The amount of wasted outs bunting and caught stealing this year are going to be amazing. In 07 Ozzie has his pocket picked on plays all the time when he pretty much had a standard steal from first when there was 2 outs to help get a guy into scoring position. I remember Soscia calling pitch outs and having our runner get pegged a few times in the series because everyone knew it was coming.

The rotating DH can work if you have hitters not rotating bench guys.

Except that would suggest that Juan Pierre somehow reached base, something you won't be seeing much of in 2010.

Oh yeah, Ozzie sat down with Alex Rios and told him to steal 50 bases and his 3 home runs. True f***ing story. I haven't been paying close enough attention over the past few months, apparently we've swapped leagues and stadiums with the f***ing Padres.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
By the way this is the stupidest off-season since 2007. Pray we dont get the same result.

It's a bit scary that this organization has embraced the concept of entering almost every season with a gaping hole in their lineup. A hole that's going to have to be fixed eventually, and will cost this team games.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
I was thinking more along the lines of his wife :P. No but seriously I hate Jim Thome as a player and I don't think its any coincidence he has never been on a team to win it all. Same goes for Bonds, Sosa, McGwire etc. Home runs don't win championships, but hey that's just my opinion. And please don't get my started on his strikeouts and ground outs to second.

I heard he spiked Jose Mesa's Gatorade with LSD on October 26th, 1997.

I'm also curious what you think about Ryan Howard.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
It's a bit scary that this organization has embraced the concept of entering almost every season with a gaping hole in their lineup. A hole that's going to have to be fixed eventually, and will cost this team games.

Why go into the season with a full lineup when you can go in with a partial one, possibly lose good prospects at the deadline to make up for your mistake, when you could have just signed a guy for 2 mill. in the offseason? I mean, why? This is such a better plan! Thanks ozzie

I honestly don't think anyone has ever said something stupider on Soxtalk. And that's saying something.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Anything specifically?

He possess all you seem to hate about the "Jim Thome" model (minus the versatility, lower K rate and ~.295 AVG of Thome in his prime) and yet he won a ring hitting cleanup for the team with the 2nd most HR in 2008. Perhaps I'm mistaken but didn't the Yankees hit 244 homeruns last season? Oh and I believe they played the team with the 3rd most HR in the World Series.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Oh yeah, Ozzie sat down with Alex Rios and told him to steal 50 bases and his 3 home runs. True f***ing story. I haven't been paying close enough attention over the past few months, apparently we've swapped leagues and stadiums with the f***ing Padres.

He also once again talked about Vizquel at DH. Seriously. I have never heard of a dumber idea. Maybe he's trying to get canned like Costanza with the Yankees.

Mark McGwire won a world series in 1989.

Jim Thome's 1997 Indians team was 3 outs away from winning the Series until Joe Table blew it

Barry Bonds's 2002 Giants team had a 5-0 lead, 8 outs away from winning the Series

Were Thome & Bonds HR tendencies the reason why their teams bullpens blew their games?????