The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
He's 24 of 27 in save opps vs. the Sox. That video actually wasnt meant to prove any points, just wanted to relive one of the best moments from last season.

And Jenks has saved 16 of 17 against the Twins.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Steve,

Dont you get it.

There are about 3 people in this thread that understand more than everyone else.

The rest of us should just take what they say as canon.

And there's one guy in this thread who is definitively correct about everything because he has seen every baseball game over the last 10 years. He's got f***in' Majors, AAA, Japan, all of em... he's seen EVERY BASEBALL GAME.

You know that highschool game over at Roberto Clemente on the North Side at the end of August? He was there.... f***in binoculars and everything.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
So you've watched almost every Royals, Twins, and White Sox game over the last 10 years? GMAB.

I didn't say every, lol.

If you live in Kansas City, get the Royals broadcasts on t.v. and radio, they all play each other 18 games per year...and you have GameDay Audio and MLB Extra Innings, it's possible.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Supposedly the White Sox looked at every ball Teahen hit in the last two seasons, and if he continues on the same track, he can hit way more homers in US Cell. TIFWIW.

I see two warning track power balls hit in Kaufman stadium that may have been gone in USCF with the wind.

I am actually a big believer in Mark Teahen and think he is going to be a very solid hitter for us this year, but only time will tell. My track record last year was iffy.

I'm starting to get used to the idea of Jones/Kotsay DH platoon, what's worse they want Omar Vizquel to start games too.

This is the poll form the Tribune article:

Should the White Sox have brought back DH Jim Thome?

Yes, they need a DH (782 responses)

50%

No, time to move on (792 responses)

50%

1574 total responses

One other random thing I'm thinking; this offense now is officially going to sink or swim based on the skills of 2 people: Walker and Herm. Herm has to keep people healthy this season, good thing is we've got as good of a track record as any team in the big leagues at that. Walker though...when I look at this lineup, I see like 5 people who I'd count as legitimate "This guy needs to successfully work with the hitting coach" guys. Rios and Teahen at the top of that list, Ramirez, Beckham (to avoid the sophomore slump), and Jones.

If this team is at the bottom of the league in offense at the end of may, then more than any other season previously, it'll be new hitting coach time. If people stay healthy, this offense will be as good as Walker can make it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
One other random thing I'm thinking; this offense now is officially going to sink or swim based on the skills of 2 people: Walker and Herm. Herm has to keep people healthy this season, good thing is we've got as good of a track record as any team in the big leagues at that. Walker though...when I look at this lineup, I see like 5 people who I'd count as legitimate "This guy needs to successfully work with the hitting coach" guys. Rios and Teahen at the top of that list, Ramirez, Beckham (to avoid the sophomore slump), and Jones.

If this team is at the bottom of the league in offense at the end of may, then more than any other season previously, it'll be new hitting coach time. If people stay healthy, this offense will be as good as Walker can make it.

If the offense is good, it will be as good as the players are capable of making it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Who are you, Yogi Berra now?

Well, smartass, I'm a guy refuting the idea that this season's offense rests in the hands of Greg Walker. People can't spend an entire offseason saying the hitters in the lineup aren't good enough but then say Walker is responsible if it fails. Can't be both.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
Well, smartass, I'm a guy refuting the idea that this season's offense rests in the hands of Greg Walker. People can't spend an entire offseason saying the hitters in the lineup aren't good enough but then say Walker is responsible if it fails. Can't be both.

True...

But it did come off as a little Berra-esque.

:)

QUOTE (Ranger @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)

Like any of us know enough to even know if Walker is doing his job well or not...I love the Walker stuff in here...;)

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
True...

But it did come off as a little Berra-esque.

:)

Eh. I don't know that it did, because it wasn't confusing like "90% of the game is half mental." I thought what I said was pretty straightforward that if they're good it's because the hitters are good.

Shack was just trying to be a d***.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)

These hitters could be good enough. It's entirely possible. But that requires several of them to take solid steps upwards next year. One way to put together a better offense would be to bring in better hitters. Instead, we're relying on the guys we have to improve. That's rolling the dice on Walker, any way we want to look at it.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)

Greg Walker has to be happy right now, and let me explain why. He's been given an offense that absolutely sucks for the 2010 season. I think the only realistic expectation for this offense is that it will finish in the bottom 4 or 5 in the American League in runs scored. With that in mind, I'm not sure how Walker can really take the blame this season when the offense fails, because the players assembled overall just aren't any good. This isn't even like the last year or two where he was given big names who were past their prime, he's just been given an outright talent deficient offense. All he can do is look brilliant if some miracle occurs and this offense is actually league average.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

maybe it's setting up walker to be gone if he fails.

walker himself said that he would be canned if it was any other organization.

does a sub par under 500 4th place finish equal the end of ozzie and walker?

i'm not saying that i expect a performance of that level.

i hope this team will be a 90+ win team and will get into the playoffs.

we've got the pieces IMO.

give me A. Gon. by july 31st! =)