The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny, I'm sure that after the Rios deal that JR made you promise that you'd tell Ozzie ahead of time on personnel moves; but, Ozzie is not a personnel guy. He doesn't know what you know when it comes to putting a team together. That's why he's the manager and you're the GM.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
on one of the local radio shows Scott Merkin was on, said somebody asked about Damon in the townhall meeting thing today and it was shot down.

Yes. KW responded with the question, "Who is his agent." I would have told him the same guy who reps Andruw Jones. I think Damon is the perfect guy. I think he would do wonders as far as the way Ozzie wants to play and he can hit some homers too. It appears it won't happen. Thome at $1 million seems silly to turn down. If there is a silver lining, its that the White Sox usually work real hard correcting their wrongs the previous year. In 2007 when they went to all those minor league FA to fill out the bullpen, they wound up spending some good money on Linebrink and Dotel. Last year when DWise lead off, they wound up getting Pierre. If the current arrangement doesn't work out, they will wind up getting a big hitter to fill the role in 2011. Its just going to cost them more than it does now. I wish someone would ask Ozzie and KW if they really think all 3 of Quentin, Kotsay and Jones can stay healthy the entire year. Even if they all come up aces in performance, all of them staying healthy is a pipedream.

Dear Ozzie and Kenny,

The Twins have a much better offense than we do. It's not even close.

Yes we appreciate the very nice pitching staff you put together. Please don't make us suffer through a summer watching a team with great pitching that ends up out of the running because we can't score enough runs to be competitive.

You can't seriously believe that cycling a series of substandard offensive players through the DH position is a good idea... can you?

Please wake up.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Thome is not the naswer! Damon is!

I can't wait to see what Ozzie has instore for this season by the looks of it! I personally hope he lives by his word and does crazy stuff.

This is coming from a guy who hasn't liked Ozzie since 2006! haha

I think he wants to play like the 1990 White Sox. I think their leading HR hitter had 14. If they got on base, they would go. I remember one game they had 5 guys in a row caught stealing. It didn't stop them from running. It was a fun year, but I don't know it that style will work today.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
You say that but there are plenty of people who don't want to see Thome back. People don't like that he clogs the bases. Apparently having men on base is a problem.

Who knew.

And Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay are light years faster of course...

It's not like you're replacing him with anybody that much faster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
The funny thing is that we're trying to create at-bats for Kotsay, who will surely be injured when he's not putting up a .270 average with 10 homers over the course of a full season. I love how KW is putting Ozzie on the hot seat.

Kotsay hasn't had an OPS higher than .746 since 2004. Jones signed for 50% less guaranteed than Brian Anderson, even with Boras repping him. I think Wise working out as the leadoff man last year had a better chance of working out than this idea does. (If they are being straight)

Supposedly Damon said he will sign this week. Maybe just maybe the Sox are still holding out hope and Thome is the second option. Probably not, but its nice to dream.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
I think he wants to play like the 1990 White Sox. I think their leading HR hitter had 14. If they got on base, they would go. I remember one game they had 5 guys in a row caught stealing. It didn't stop them from running. It was a fun year, but I don't know it that style will work today.

Ozzie was 13-for-30 that year in SB, lol. The Sox had 140 SB to 90 CS, a 61% success rate with a .320 team OBP. If it didn't work then it's not working now.

The HR leaders BTW were:

Fisk, 18

Kittle, 16

Sosa, 15

Calderon, 14

Pasqua, 13

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say involving baseball.

Hmm 50 HR = 50 RBI/50 RUNs minimum

50 SB = 0 RBI/0 Runs Minimum

Ozzie is really not making any sense. I hope this team does good, but if we finish under .500 or hover around .500 again he needs to go.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
Ozzie was 13-for-30 that year in SB, lol. The Sox had 140 SB to 90 CS, a 61% success rate with a .320 team OBP. If it didn't work then it's not working now.

The HR leaders BTW were:

Fisk, 18

Kittle, 16

Sosa, 15

Calderon, 14

Pasqua, 13

They did win 94 games. It really was a fun year. They won more than a couple of games on WP. Got no hit and won by 4. One ironic thing about that year as the Sox were trying to make a run at Oakland who was stacked and juiced, were the deadline deals. Oakland picked up Willie McGee and Harold Baines. The Sox added Jerry Hairston, who I think did not play, they just put him on the roster it might have been Sept. 1, as a favor for his pension, and Minnie Minoso who was going to bat as a gimmick. He was 60 or 70, but the commissioner wouldn't let Minnie play. I think it was Ueberoth. One player was very vocal in his disgust about the disparity between the teams late season pick ups in the race for the division crown. His name was Ozzie Guillen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say involving baseball.

It's funny how he ends that thought with "I want production." The historians need to go back and account for all the runs basestealers have driven in by stealing bases because it's going to put Tim Raines in the HOF.

If Ozzie is all fired up about playing the flexibility and small ball game... then why not sign Orlando Hudson to be DH?

If you're not going to at power to the lineup Ozzie/Kenny, why not add a decent table-setter who can also be used in the field on occasion?

And he wouldn't add dead weight to the roster, because he would take Nix's spot, which would allow us to carry an extra pitcher.

Just a thought.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)

The point I think tey were maiking with the angels and boston is that with steriods slowly being removed from the game, the style of the game is going to shift back to that style.

It won't totally look like that due to the smaller ballparks and other factors but they seem to think that style is what will work and start to become more commonplace.

Baseball goes through these cycles. The late 60's and into the 70's was more the "athletic" game. Earl Weaver made the "wait for the 3 run homer " popular, even though his team was built on the pitching of Palmer and Cuellar et al. Then when Ricky Henderson and Vince coleman came around the game shifted back to the "athletic" game. The Bash bros. with the PEDS brought the power game back in the late 80's.

I'm not necessarily convinced that the shift is happening again but it could be.

I think one thing that may assist the change is the more recent advent of quntifying defense. Bill James and his numbers people helped to create the power guy trend. From reading his material OPS is the key number in hitting. It is easier to increase OPS with power numbers increasing the Slugging than to increase OBP with lighter hitting and walks. So that type of play was coveted. Now that defense can be more accurrately quantifyed, although it's still more difficult than hitting, I think pitching and defense may start to make a comeback.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
If Ozzie is all fired up about playing the flexibility and small ball game... then why not sign Orlando Hudson to be DH?

If you're not going to at power to the lineup Ozzie/Kenny, why not add a decent table-setter who can also be used in the field on occasion?

And he wouldn't add dead weight to the roster, because he would take Nix's spot, which would allow us to carry an extra pitcher.

Just a thought.

I thought of that one too. I'd go for it. He's still nearly an .800 OPS, he still gives us a chance to have some balance from the LH side, and he also can add in some infield defense as well, all of which would be pluses.

I'm blaming KW for this. He acts like he knows better but wants Ozzie to be in control. Ozzie is a lunatic, and clearly under the influence of some kind of drugs during these interviews. The roster isn't his job. There's no excuse for KW deferring to Ozzie's ridiculous opinion on the roster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
They did win 94 games. It really was a fun year. They won more than a couple of games on WP. Got no hit and won by 4. One ironic thing about that year as the Sox were trying to make a run at Oakland who was stacked and juiced, were the deadline deals. Oakland picked up Willie McGee and Harold Baines. The Sox added Jerry Hairston, who I think did not play, they just put him on the roster it might have been Sept. 1, as a favor for his pension, and Minnie Minoso who was going to bat as a gimmick. He was 60 or 70, but the commissioner wouldn't let Minnie play. I think it was Ueberoth. One player was very vocal in his disgust about the disparity between the teams late season pick ups in the race for the division crown. His name was Ozzie Guillen.

Thanks for sharing that, I didn't know most of that stuff.

I guess the one thing that can be said is that if this is what Ozzie wants, and if Ozzie gets it, then Ozzie had better find a way to win with it.