The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
You keep talking about Thome playing the field. He's NOT going to play the field.

Delmon Young sucks. And all I'm saying is Gardenhire is likely to figure out quickly (if he's not thinking it already) that a lineup with Thome at DH and Kubel in left is going to be a better option.

If he keeps Young in left, Kubel at DH, and Thome on the bench, that would be much better... for us.

You said that already. And if Young is a hack in left then Kubel is a paraplegic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
THis is kinda interesting... From Merkins tweets... Could we be sneaking DYe in the backdoor under the cover of Thome?

Hope not. Damon is low-hanging fruit right now. Regardless of his agent, the Sox should sign him to DH/LF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
THis is kinda interesting... From Merkins tweets... Could we be sneaking DYe in the backdoor under the cover of Thome?

Why would you want Dye after seeing him hit in the second half of last season?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
Why would you want Dye after seeing him hit in the second half of last season?

Because I saw him hit in the first half? Also, maybe playing less in the field and spending more time at DH would be good for his legs...which means better strength at the plate? What's the rules though on signing someone you didn't offer arbitration to? Also, how do we know this doesn't mean Carl or Robbie aren't coming back?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
Because I saw him hit in the first half? Also, maybe playing less in the field and spending more time at DH would be good for his legs...which means better strength at the plate? What's the rules though on signing someone you didn't offer arbitration to? Also, how do we know this doesn't mean Carl or Robbie aren't coming back?

Can't sign somebody you didn't offer arbitration until either May 1st or 15th. Can't remember which date it is.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)

Thome was obviously the better option, he's left handed, will provide better OBP, and will hit for about as much power.

If they don't want Thome, I don't see why they would want Dye.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 08:42 PM)

isn't thome talking about himself?

Merkin posted 3 tweets that all seem to go together...i think he's just saying that the sox were worried about getting him enough AB.....

Thome: "I spent four years here in Chicago, and I think from the White Sox end that was a pretty tough decision for them."

More Thome: "They had a guy they were thinking about bring back and worried about the number of at-bats."

Thome on Chicago: "I love the city of Chicago, and I had a ton of great memories and will always cherish the memories there."

im am still a bit frightened by the fact that our manager can't find enough ABs for Thome, because jones kotsay and vizquel are on the team....yuck

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)

Merkin posted 3 tweets that all seem to go together...i think he's just saying that the sox were worried about getting him enough AB.....

Thome: "I spent four years here in Chicago, and I think from the White Sox end that was a pretty tough decision for them."

More Thome: "They had a guy they were thinking about bring back and worried about the number of at-bats."

Thome on Chicago: "I love the city of Chicago, and I had a ton of great memories and will always cherish the memories there."

im am still a bit frightened by the fact that our manager can't find enough ABs for Thome, because jones kotsay and vizquel are on the team....yuck

Not only is it scary that Ozzie thinks this, it's scary that Kenny Williams did not overrule such asinine ideas.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
The White Sox said they could not offer Thome many AB, but he signs with the Twins as a pinch hitter? More shady rhetoric from Ozzie and KW? I don't mind letting Thome go but it wasn't because he was sekking more AB as a full time DH.

They decided itwasnt fair to Thome and out of respect they wanted to give him a chance to get at bats. Thome needs alot of at bats to not only keep himself loose, but also to keep up his swing. As a pinch hitter he wont be effective, which is why the Twins just wasted a roster spot.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)

Vizquel is a backup infielder, if Thome could play 3 positions in the infield, he probably would have a spot as well.

I swear some of you people think a baseball team is the same as a fantasy league roster.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
The White Sox said they could not offer Thome many AB, but he signs with the Twins as a pinch hitter? More shady rhetoric from Ozzie and KW? I don't mind letting Thome go but it wasn't because he was sekking more AB as a full time DH.

It wasn't that Thome was asking for more at-bats, it was that the Sox claimed Thome would suck (even more) without consistent at-bats.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
Vizquel is a backup infielder, if Thome could play 3 positions in the infield, he probably would have a spot as well.

I swear some of you people think a baseball team is the same as a fantasy league roster.

Vizquel being on the team isn't a problem (although I personally disagree with it since he's 42 and can't hit, but I can understand why he's on the team), not having a DH is the problem. They are two separate issues.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)
Vizquel being on the team isn't a problem (although I personally disagree with it since he's 42 and can't hit, but I can understand why he's on the team), not having a DH is the problem. They are two separate issues.

Thome as a full time DH isnt the answer for this team. He showed signs of breaking down last year and the organization knows that. For the first time in years he put up a sub .800 OPS in the second half of the season and is almsot 40 years old with a bad back and high maintenance swing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
Thome as a full time DH isnt the answer for this team. He showed signs of breaking down last year and the organization knows that. For the first time in years he put up a sub .800 OPS in the second half of the season and is almsot 40 years old with a bad back and high maintenance swing.

I have a new favorite poster. This guy is right on the nose with his analysis of this move (or lack there of).