Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
Apologies if this has ever already been discussed...too many pages to look through haha

This has been bugging me for a while after reading various tech blogs... When it comes to TV/Movies Physical Media is still the best option. I love me some Netflix Streaming and Hulu and I'm sure I'll love whatever other Cloud-based streaming services that come out in the future, but until ALL of those services have EVERYTHING that's ever come out on home video and streams/hosts them FOREVER and ever (never losing the rights to certain blah blah), streams them is crystal clear High-Def/Highest Quality picture and Audio and includes Commentary and Special Features, until that happens Physical Discs are better. The picture and sound is a big issue cause I'm a bit of a snob, but the availability thing is what will stop the "death" of Discs. I'm willing to bet only a 1/4 (if that) of my collection is available online. That's a deal breaker.

I can't argue with that and it's why I ditched Netflix streaming and just have the disc subscriptions.

That brings me to something I want to ask people here. Who has a Roku and what do you think of it? I'm thinking about getting one, piling up a few subscriptions (sports packages, Netflix) and ditching cable. Would I be crazy to do so?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
I can't argue with that and it's why I ditched Netflix streaming and just have the disc subscriptions.

That brings me to something I want to ask people here. Who has a Roku and what do you think of it? I'm thinking about getting one, piling up a few subscriptions (sports packages, Netflix) and ditching cable. Would I be crazy to do so?

Me and my girlfriend just cut the cord last week. We have an Apple TV (to rent movies or TV shows. Also offers the MLB Package and you can stream Netflix), and HD Antenna (we can watch anything on the networks in HD live) and a Wi-Fi enabled Blu-Ray player. (Which has access to Hulu Plus which covers almost every TV show we watch. If we miss something and it's not on Hulu we can rent it from Apple TV)

DirecTV, while awesome, was about $90 a month. Netflix and Hulu Plus $15.98 a month.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Apple's new textbook software is amazing and revolutionary... for their profit margins since you can only use those textbooks on an iPad. If you REALLY want to be revolutionary, open it up to the world. time for Google to step up and create a TRUELY open next generation digital textbook platform.

How so?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Im using it to log into a school server for an organization's website, Im able to login into the server but I can't delete or upload anything.

Im thinking it's a permission problem, any ideas?

Some things have to be done via the direct site login.

It could be a preference set up by the organization.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Apple just came out with some huge earnings numbers, one of the biggest quarters ever for any company, led by a massive surge of iPhone and iPad sales.

Jesus...$97 billion in cash...and the stock rose $33 today on news of the results.

Insane.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
They think I am 25-34. Not a terrible guess, I suppose.

They nailed me.

Your demographics

We infer your age and gender based on the websites you've visited. You can remove or edit these at any time.

28 year old MALE here

a/s/l?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Bout to take the plunge and go ahead and get an iPad... which I have ZERO use for but just want really bad.... I want to know if there are any accessories I should have?

I'm in the same boat. Waiting for my birthday though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
Bout to take the plunge and go ahead and get an iPad... which I have ZERO use for but just want really bad.... I want to know if there are any accessories I should have?

I've had the original with no accessories other than the case and been entirely happy with it. I guess this assumed you have some spare headphones lying around.

One thing I guess I would consider if you do a lot of typing is the keyboard. With it, you can prop your iPad up and type on a physical keyboard, which is very helpful if you plan to type documents or something. However, if you're just going to use it for casual use, this is probably not necessary.

Enjoy!