Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 9, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
I would have but I want the specific ROM and I don't want to be worried about buggy software.

Then get an iPhone. People unwilling to root and Android may as well get an iPhone.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 9, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
Root that s***.

Okay, so I have wanted to do this for ever and a day. But, I don't trust it.

How does it make the phone better (besides getting rid of all the crapware?)

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 9, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
Okay, so I have wanted to do this for ever and a day. But, I don't trust it.

How does it make the phone better (besides getting rid of all the crapware?)

This is a bit outdated but captures many of the benefits.

I've rooted to get custom ROMs with access to root-only apps. I can now overclock for faster performance and I'm rocking Ice Cream Sandwich even though it hasn't been officially released for my phone yet.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 9, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
This is a bit outdated but captures many of the benefits.

I've rooted to get custom ROMs with access to root-only apps. I can now overclock for faster performance and I'm rocking Ice Cream Sandwich even though it hasn't been officially released for my phone yet.

Which phone?

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 9, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
Overrated...

They're basically the same as any other smartphone, how is one overrated and one underrated? iPhones just cater to the non-hack crowd more than Android does. Not to mention, there is a hack crowd for iOS, too...only they call it jailbreaking, instead. Besides, at least when updates come out, you can use them without having to wait months to use an OS that's already outdated by then.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 11, 2012 -> 06:59 AM)
Stupid OTA Droid update to 1.3.418 broke root access.

You must have skipped root 101 where you're told to NEVER accept an update when you're rooted. They typically have a rooted version of the update within a day.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
You must have skipped root 101 where you're told to NEVER accept an update when you're rooted. They typically have a rooted version of the update within a day.

Well I bricked my phone the first time I tried so I can't say I'm good at it! I need to SBF back to the previous build and go from there.

What ROM do you recommend? I was still running the stock gingerbread 2.3.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 11, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
Well I bricked my phone the first time I tried so I can't say I'm good at it! I need to SBF back to the previous build and go from there.

What ROM do you recommend? I was still running the stock gingerbread 2.3.

Which phone do you have? Every phone has a slew of different custom ROMs.

I have Sprint's Galaxy S II and I'm running the Blu Kuban ROM which is 4.0.3, Ice Cream Sandwich.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 11, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Can anyone tell me what rate they were able to negotiate with SiriusXM for their premium package? My trial will be ending soon and I was curious to know what others have gotten done...

I got the free 6 months with my new car and when I called to see my options o keep it, they gave me the top package for only $99 for the year. Expires end of June 2013.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Which phone do you have? Every phone has a slew of different custom ROMs.

I have Sprint's Galaxy S II and I'm running the Blu Kuban ROM which is 4.0.3, Ice Cream Sandwich.

Finally got the thing flashed with Cyanogen7 today. Supposedly the ICS-based CM9 will being coming to the Droid X2 very soon.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)

You mean an update of the OS, right?