Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 09:02 PM)
:angry:

The joke was because I hate Apple.

Anyway, I ended up doing something I never do, like at all....I blindly purchased something I didn't research before hand. I'm know, I'm crazy! Hah.

I went with the LG G2. It's listed on the Best Buy website for $200 w/ a contract. The dude at BB got it down to $100 for me somehow, and then gave it to me for $50 if I traded in my current phone. So all-in-all, I got a $700 phone for $50 and a mostly-working Atrix.

He asked if my Atrix worked perfectly. I showed him that dead spot. After about 10 minutes of me trying to figure out the problem or reason for the dead spot, he said since his manager was not there that he would pretend it worked fine and give me the deal. So that was pretty legit.

LG G2 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-g2-4g-with-...;contract_desc=

I really didn't want a phone this big, but it seems all the new phones are going to have huge screens, and this one is actually small compared to those Galaxy notes and a few others, so I decided to get used to it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 09:27 PM)
The joke was because I hate Apple.

Anyway, I ended up doing something I never do, like at all....I blindly purchased something I didn't research before hand. I'm know, I'm crazy! Hah.

I went with the LG G2. It's listed on the Best Buy website for $200 w/ a contract. The dude at BB got it down to $100 for me somehow, and then gave it to me for $50 if I traded in my current phone. So all-in-all, I got a $700 phone for $50 and a mostly-working Atrix.

He asked if my Atrix worked perfectly. I showed him that dead spot. After about 10 minutes of me trying to figure out the problem or reason for the dead spot, he said since his manager was not there that he would pretend it worked fine and give me the deal. So that was pretty legit.

LG G2 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-g2-4g-with-...;contract_desc=

I really didn't want a phone this big, but it seems all the new phones are going to have huge screens, and this one is actually small compared to those Galaxy notes and a few others, so I decided to get used to it.

Awesome. The G2 is a pretty beastly phone.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
It appears from all the reviews and comments from the guy at Best Buy, that I walked in looking to buy a BMW or a Mercedes, and I walked out with a brand new Bugatti. First I got to figure out where the rest of my contacts went, and then redownload all my apps.

Why do you people not link your contacts with your Google account?

I don't know how many Facebook posts I've seen where people say "new phone, text me your number".

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)

I don't know how many Facebook posts I've seen where people say "new phone, text me your number".

I do, which is why I am confused as to why I am missing some. I still got about 230 or so of my contacts, but it seems all the ones I've added since June-ish are gone. Luckily I have the Backup SMS+ app, so I have all my text messages backed up in my email, so although it will be kind of a pain in the ass, I'll just go through all my text convos since June and see which people I don't have in my phone. My other solution may be to copy my contacts from my micro SD to my phone, if that's possible. I had the guy back them all up to my micro SD just in case.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)

This.

Hell, I'm an Apple guy who uses gmail with cardav and caldav on my iPhone/Macs. I mean, why wouldn't you take the two seconds to set this up, import them and never have to worry about contacts again?

No, I don't use iCloud...I have everything in iCloud disabled except for find my iphone.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
This.

Hell, I'm an Apple guy who uses gmail with cardav and caldav on my iPhone/Macs. I mean, why wouldn't you take the two seconds to set this up, import them and never have to worry about contacts again?

No, I don't use iCloud...I have everything in iCloud disabled except for find my iphone.

I agree.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
So this IR remote thing is awesone. Got all my TVs connected in less than 10 seconds. I plan on seeing if I can highjack the projector in class later today and f*** with the professors who don't understand technology. Looks like I'm getting out of class early today!

Just don't get caught, it's a suspendable offense and is considered hacking.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)

For me it means I would have 1000+ contacts, with over 900 I will never contact again. Between previous jobs and Boy Scouts Google just loads too many.

Worst still is any link with Facebook.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
lol, seriously? I don't think my professor will do anything but laugh, I'm not worried.

If that's all he does, not a big deal, but IF he decides to be a dick, he can be.

Also...like someone else said...that'd be funny if you were 14.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
For me it means I would have 1000+ contacts, with over 900 I will never contact again. Between previous jobs and Boy Scouts Google just loads too many.

Worst still is any link with Facebook.

So then delete the contacts you no longer want. :P

Google Hangouts to start rolling out with SMS integration and other new features today

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
This.

I read somewhere that Mavericks was going to make it more difficult to use non-iCloud services. Is that right?

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Google Hangouts to start rolling out with SMS integration and other new features today

I read somewhere that Mavericks was going to make it more difficult to use non-iCloud services. Is that right?

Seems no different to me.

Mavericks ties into iCloud much better than previous versions of 10, but it's not required.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
If that's all he does, not a big deal, but IF he decides to be a dick, he can be.

They thought it was awesome. I obviously didn't turn it off during a lecture, I'm not stupid. But before class started I turned it on, which freaked them and the students out. Then I explained it was my phone and the were amazed. My prof said I should go down the hallway turning projectors on and off scaring teachers. Technology is amazing.